Now that the fabric is totally dry, I started picking the flour and oatmeal away. I hung three on the fence to my garden, in order to wash the rest of the resist ingredients away. For this, I used the garden hose using a "power wash" setting.
Oops! Looks like some mud splashed up on one of these, the one with oatmeal I was so anxious to see. I sort of did a number to the dirt in my pots, too.
Next, it was off inside to give the fabric a final wash and remove the tape.
Here all are, hanging on my front porch rail. It was quicker to place them here, than on the clothesline out back. From the left: flour, oatmeal, oatmeal, flour, flour.
Once dry, the two oatmeal resist fabrics lost much of their color.
Before I went inside, I saw my neighbors were having an "estate" sale. Translated, that means expensive prices for a bunch of junk.
I noticed a lot of people looking, but not many buying. The piles were not going down very quickly, but the crowds kept coming.
I couldn't have gotten into or out of my driveway, if I had wanted to.
See what I mean? Not many people were buying anything.
I watched as the guy with the red truck returned empty handed shaking his head. Wish I'd gotten a picture of the disgust he had on his face. And in case you were wondering, I went to the sale, but found nothing I was willing to buy. In fact, there was nothing I could even afford. I would have liked to have a bug zapper for my back patio, but the $35.00 price tag was offensive!
It was now time to get back to this post, though.
This was supposed to be my favorite piece, but it just wasn't what I expected. If you recall, it's the flour resist I laid the plastic canvas under.
Another flour resist, this one came out better. It is actually more vivid than the scan shows. I also noticed the diamonds in the fabric when I scanned it.
This final flour resist was the one I accidentally turned green when I used a brush that still had blue dye in it. This piece also had the least flour resist.
The final two are oatmeal resist. The colors were more prominent and the resist wasn't evident in this one.
For this one, the oatmeal didn't resist like I was led to believe it should have, but I suspect you can really see the diamond pattern now. About all the oatmeal accomplished was to dull the ink/alcohol mixture. I am glad I used the oatmeal, though, because now I can mark it off my list of kitchen ingredients I won't use as a resist again. Or maybe next time, I'll cook the oatmeal before I use it.
In case you are new to my blog, to date, my two favorite kitchen ingredients to use as a resist have been flour and corn syrup.
You'll have to wait to see how I use some of this fabric. But I promise, it won't be long and all will be revealed!