The next day, the flour and oatmeal were completely dry. I'm sure they were dry sooner, but I wanted to make sure everything dried through and through.
Supplies from back left clockwise:
Water, left over from yesterday that I would use, along with a rag, to wipe up any messes
Empty containers for mixing the dyes
*Staz-on re-inkers, colors of your choice
91% Isopropyl Alcohol (also called "Rubbing Alcohol in the US, but do not use 70%)
Jug of coffee, not important to the dyeing process, but critical for the artist
Fabric to be dyed after two resists (oatmeal and flour) were created
Plastic bag to protect table.
*You must use a permanent ink/reinker for this. I'm sure there are other "permanent" inks, but I use Staz-on exclusively. You will be removing the oatmeal and flour from these fabrics, and they will get wet. So you cannot use dye ink or color washes. And before you ask, YES, these will be permanent as soon as the dye hits the fabric.
Since I started with the oatmeal resist yesterday, I decided to start with oatmeal again. I started the dyeing process with a bit of Midnight Blue mixed with the alcohol. How much of each you use depends on you. I like to begin with 8-10 drops of Staz-on to which I add the alcohol. Be aware, these will dry much lighter.
Next, I changed cups and added 8-10 drops of Mustard to a bit of alcohol. I never measure these. I go by appearance more than anything else. If the color is too light, I add more Staz-on. If too dark, I add alcohol.
Next came blazing red, but it looked more like Pumpkin once it was on the bed sheet. Note how the blue and yellow mingled and created green on the fabric.
Here this piece is in all its glory. Although the dye/alcohol mix is now basically dry, the oatmeal is not. Therefore, I will hang it, because the oatmeal was saturated and needs the added drying time.
I decided to plan out my next piece and picked all blues and purple.
I began with Ultramarine, then
Next came Royal Purple.
I didn't get as much color mixing this time, and was a bit disappointed with the outcome. Not the look I was expecting.
Since I had some Royal Purple left over, I used it on the next piece, that was also flour resist.
Once again, I reached for some Ultramarine
and finished the piece using it. Note how some of the dye has seeped under the flour.
I finished the dyeing process on the oatmeal resist with the same dyes I used earlier on the flour: Ultramarine and Royal Purple.
My final dye was on the flour resist fabric using Mustard.
However, when I applied it, I forgot to change brushes, and the color came out green. I finally got the yellow I was going for after I got a different brush.
Here are three of the pieces on the line. The one nearest my clothespin bag was the last one I made.
The other two are on this end of the clothesline.
In case you forgot, the one on the left is oatmeal and the one on the right is flour.
Here they are, drying and ready for the final step, which I'll show tomorrow.