Thursday, July 9, 2009

Play day to relax

I've been working on several projects lately, and most are nearly finished or already completed. I had to take a day and recuperate, so made some backgrounds on Wednesday. It gave me a chance to try out my new red metallic paint I got at JoAnns with a 40% off coupon.
Here are the supplies I used:
Purple and red metallic paints
Butterscotch and bottle color washes (not shown)
Water
Mixing containers
Paint brush
Various papers, deli wrap, and two sizes bubble wrap
Craft sheet (to protect my table)

I began by rolling a piece of UHU tac in a ball, then applying it to the craft sheet.

I adhered the deli paper to the UHU tac so the paper wouldn't slip when I was painting it.

I placed some red and purple acrylic paint in the small cups, then dipped my brush in the water and wet the paper slightly.
Next I applied the paint to the various papers.

I sprayed the color mists on other papers and added paint to some of the papers I'd sprayed with color mists.
I got really carried away with making these backgrounds. In fact, I couldn't stop. And to think I used only four colors. This is less than 1/3 of the pages I made.

I scanned some of the pages, but didn't hold them down, so the dark on the pages is from them not being flat on the glass.

Now, before you ask, my friend Kathy accidentally left some of her Sizzix dies when she was here for our play date. I took advantage of a couple of them and turned my lovely hand painted papers into hearts and flowers to be used at some future date. It was a fun, relaxing day where I didn't have to think about composition or design principles, or hunt for that perfect embellishment to complete a spread. To see the true beauty of these, click to enlarge.

3 thoughtful remarks:

Dianne said...

these backgrounds are beautiful...such lovely color combinations...and the sissix shapes are fun too!

thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. You always brighten my day and make me smile!

Cindy McMath said...

These are lovely Elizabeth!! Love the vibrant colours, and they look great as backgrounds and as die cuts!

Cindy :)

Anonova said...

What a very zen way to be artistic. :)