Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Torching tortured felt: a failed experiment

While I had my heat gun and craft sheet on my craft table, I remembered a project I had been wanting to try for quite awhile. It's alternately called "Tortured Felt," or "Torchered Felt." I call it a failed project.
I got out a piece of felt and spread pink and metallic gold acrylic craft paint in spots on the felt, leaving lots of room in between. According to Belinda, who I originally learned the technique from, you need "Kunen" felt, which she said was craft felt.
After I nearly caught the piece on fire and made the entire main floor of my house smell like burnt hair (even though I had the fan blasting and the windows open), this is what I got.
It's pretty obvious the felt I used was not the stuff I needed. Belinda said that the felt burned easily, but I held my heat tool on this one spot for sixty seconds. I know because I counted to sixty.

I'm not disappointed. I'll use the painted felt in some project, but I sure didn't torture the felt, although it seems to have tortured me!!

2 thoughtful remarks:

Iowa Sunshine said...

LOL. You made me giggle and i sure needed it! I'm not tortured any more! LOL. I love the way you explain things. HUGS

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you used wool felt on this technique. It was designed not to burn or melt like Kunen brand does.

Rachel