Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Draw the Line


I'm once again joining Chris of Pear Shaped Crafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme Hold the Line.

I became enamored with pen nibs and, when I found these ink pens I had saved from an old pen catalog, I went searching for nibs on the internet.

It's amazing how much I learned.  Each part of the nib has a different word and use.

For example, there's the vent hole, the tines, the slit, and the tip.  There are other parts, too, but I think these are probably the most important.  Of course there are different designs, too.

Both Wikipedia and Jet Pens have great articles on pen nibs.

These have gold ends and

lovely scroll work on the shank.  

That could account for the cost of these pens.

One cannot overlook the vintage and Victorian pen nibs

with their advertising on each shank and unique design on each nib.

For this page, I began by coloring it with a small amount of black staz-on and 91% isopropyl alcohol.  The pink came from the foam brush I used to spread the ink and alcohol.  I then attached the two pens, found in a magazine I sent for years ago that advertised high end ink pens.  Once the pens were in place, I added the lines using a fine tip Sharpie.  I wrote the words "Draw the Line" using a metallic gel pen.  Then I fussy cut the pen nibs and added them between the lines.  Finally, I added the antique pen nibs I also found on the internet.

I appreciate you stopping by today.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey

And while you're here, this is what I did on Monday.

Not only did I mow, hopefully for the final time this year,

I also edged and unearthed my bricks just in time for winter.





Some of you may remember I was offline for over a week due to my internet problems.
 
You can see the new box on the upper left, but I marked where the old box was on the right.

I zoomed in so you could see where it had been before.

Thanks for stopping by today.  I know this was a long post, but I still wanted you to know about my new box which will at some point, be replaced by fiber optics.  And please don't forget to visit us at Art Journal Journey.

 

14 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you got some gardening done. I didn't know there still places without fibre-optics. Hope the new box will be safer and give you regular internet this time! Stay safe! Valerie

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I like those pens with the nibs. You were very productive preparing your yard for Winter. (I need to mow at least one more time.) I'm glad they finally fixed your internet. (I'm probably going to miss posting for T-Day again this week. :-( )

CJ Kennedy said...

Fountain pens and nibs. Right in my wheelhouse. You got a lot done in your garden an I'm glad you have a new Internet connection. Hopefully, this one won't keep bailing on you.

aussie aNNie said...

Love your sweet place and garden, hope all goes better with the replacement. xxx

Sami said...

I remember writing with those ink pens when I was young. Wish I had kept them.
You are getting your garden ready for winter. Hope the new internet box is working well Elizabeth.

Jeanie said...

Well done on the edging. That's a horrible chore but you did it so well! The yard looks really good.

Love this piece today. Not only does it follow the theme brilliantly, but I really love the subject and the composition. I'm glad you didn't add color (apart from the gold already on the pen nib). It's very elegant.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I really like this art piece today Elizabeth !!!! way awesome:) the yard is looking good...all set N ready for the winter season

bleu N squiggles, thatz a lotta room ta run round out side ....sa~wheat !!!! ☺☺♥♥

Divers and Sundry said...

My hubby loves fountain pens, so I enjoyed this piece. Your yard looks great and ready for the winter.

Sharon Madson said...

Nice post. You mowed?! You were energetic! Great pen journal page.

Rita said...

Ahhh! Pens! I do so love my fountain pens. And all the bottom row of nibs for the dip pens--I love my dip pens, too.
Glad you got your internet fixed. :)

My name is Erika. said...

Before I talk about your gorgeous pen page, is that bamboo in you last couple of photos? Whatever it is, it is giant and looks amazing. And your pen page is perfect for hold the line and a clever take. Pen nibs are really fascinating. I love it. Hope it was a great Wednesday. Hugs Erika

PerthDailyPhoto said...

You certainly did some hard work in the garden Elizabeth, love gardening and it certainly keeps us fit 😉 Glad to hear your internet problems are being sorted ✨

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is absolutely brilliant dear Elizabeth! I love fountain pens - don't use them often enough these days! Your garden looks very tidy, well done. Pleased to know that your will soon be having fibre optics - should be much better for you! Hugs, Chrisx

craftytrog said...

A clever page Elizabeth, and your garden is looking very tidy!
Alison xx