Friday, May 29, 2020

Friday Smiles 373: in my garden


No museum visit today.  Instead I'll share a couple of photos from my herb garden.  I'm actually having trouble finding something to smile about after seeing all the deaths from the novel corona virus.  The U.S. hit 100,000 deaths three days ago.  On May 28, the death total that was reported was 1,018.  The U.K. has nearly 38,000 deaths, with 377 new deaths as of May 28.  On that same day, there were 37 new deaths reported in Germany, 70 new deaths in Italy, 177 new deaths in Italy, 108 new deaths in Canada, and 248 new deaths in Brazil.   As countries begin to open, we will continue to see a rise in these statistics, not just in deaths, but in new cases.  Some states in the U.S. are not even reporting their nursing home deaths, because they have decided for some reason, not to.  It makes it difficult to know the exact number in each of these categories (infected, recovered, and deaths).

This virus doesn't care who you are.  It doesn't discriminate based on wealth or lack of it, your social status, your gender you identify with, your eye or skin color, your occupation, your political preference, who you do or don't pray to, and now, even your age.  All it cares about is catching you off guard, when you're put in a compromising situation, when you are forced to work in an unsafe environment, when you aren't careful, or when you act foolishly.

Regardless, my heart goes out to each and every person, not just in the States, but world wide who has lost someone to this heinous virus.

If you dropped by for T time this past Tuesday, this is what you saw.

In between downpours, I managed to make a quick and sloppy pass across my front and back yards.

These are the herbs you couldn't see in the first photo.  Now I'm off to pull the weeds that have gathered in the cracks of my back "patio."

And because you deserve something fun to smile at,

I created this garden inspired daffodil journal page for Mia's theme which is Flowers at Art Journal Journey, then realized it fits Try it on Tuesday's theme Cut it Out, too.  You can see the green die cuts around the focal image act like a frame.

I began with 110 lb card stock that I dry brushed pink, yellow, and green to match the colors in the focal image.  I stamped a floral image on opposing corners and die cut dark green card stock to frame the card with these tiny leaves.

Thanks so much for visiting.  Let's head over to Annie's because she knows how to put a smile on faces.  And whatever you do, please don't forget to start your weekend off right with a few Friday Smiles of your own.  And remember, if you would like to play along, Annie will welcome you just as she did me many years ago.  While you're at it, please stop by Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesday, too.  Hope to see you there.

26 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

The death tolls are awful, and I'm sure they are in reality much higher, just not recorded. So sad. And some people here are starting to get careless, so we need to be very careful all the time. In Harry Potter one of the characters, Mad Eye Moody, always said 'Constant vigilance'. We need it now. Your garden is looking good, and the journal page is very pretty, love the delicate colours. Thanks for joining us at TIOT, much appreciated. Have a great day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Well, reckon your "POTUS" (sorry, I have to use "", it´s still as if he´s not real) just didn´t get it and too many people believed him.
Oh so often I sat in front of the telly/PC and could not believe what words came out of that orange man.
Yet here we get bombarded all the time with "stay at home",and I think that is wrong, too.
Our immune system gets weak when we really stay at home, which for many means inside.
Go out, wear a mask and keep the bloody distance!

Restaurants open, people get careless. And I have the feeling the numbers will soon follow yours, how sad. Well, Valerie said it already...

Thank you for the nice pictures/artwork, we need to focus on the good...

craftytrog said...

A beautiful journal page Elizabeth!
I'm concentrating on the good that has come from this terrible crisis. I have got to know my neighbours much better, we meet outside every Thursday to clap for the key workers and have a catch up. And we are helping each other where we can too.
I'm also spending a lot of time watching the birds in my garden, that really has kept me going.
I try not to watch too much news about how our incompetent government are dealing with the crisis!
Alison xx

Annie said...

The numbers are dreadful Elizabeth and sadly there is really nothing we can do to change it so we all need to focus on the happy things around us, be safe and sensible and look after each other.
Your garden is looking really lovely....you have a lot to be thankful for.
Hugs,
Annie x

Elkes Lebensglück said...

It is terrible the numbers everywhere and we can only protect ourselves that we abide by the rules but also fill up with fresh air but with distance and mouth protection. I'm glad that I don't have to live in a big city. I get here with the holidaymakers. It was said that we should stay at home because of the holidaymakers over the holidays.
Her journal page has become beautiful and her garden swept up again and you have great herb pots.
I wish you all the best and take care of yourself!
Greetings Elke

PerthDailyPhoto said...

This virus has been brutal on lives around the world Elizabeth, it's hard to put into words the sadness it has caused. If we have learnt anything from it it is to appreciate each other and the simpler things in life. I love seeing your artistic expression, your garden also.. you did a pretty neat run on the front and back lawn 😊

My name is Erika. said...

It is always amazing how mowing the grass makes everything look better. I think it is look super Elizabeth. I like your patio. You have it decorated quite nicely and looks like things are really growing. It is also amazing how fast things suddenly shoot up. And I love the daffodils in your art today. They looks really nice on the colored background; great color choices for sure. The little stamped flowers in the corners really finish it off. Oh yes, and before I forget, the patina on your table is awesome. Have a super Friday-or hope it was a good one when you read this comment. Hugs-Erika

Barbara said...

I’m with you Elizabeth, unable to do anything without the virus lives lost coloring my every thought and action. As much as he’d like to do it, not even our “stable genius” can change the conversation to something as innocuous as Twitter. Your art is beautiful, and at least for a few moments we can appreciate that. Stay well.

*Vicki* said...

What a beautiful journal page Elizabeth! I love the flowers and how elegant it looks! Your garden is a wonderful place to be especially during this time! It's one of my greatest "excapes" from everything and just to have a moment to look at nature, get some vitamin D from the sun and listen to the birds sing. Besides my crafting, this is something I love to do as well! Thanks for sharing! :)

Let's Art Journal said...

So sad about all the deaths, my heart goes out to everyone too! Your page is beautiful, those daffodils look amazing and I love the little die cuts that you added 😀. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Take care and wishing you a Happy Friday and Weekend! Hugs, Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

Your yard looks good and your patio such an inviting spot. I hope you're having some good weather to enjoy your oasis. Take care.

Words and Pictures said...

It's very hard to stay positive in the face of the global news and in particular the political failings in the response of our respective countries compared to much of the rest of the world. I despair.

But I have to keep trying to find joy in small things, amongst them nature, music, storytelling, and art. (Actually looking at that list, those aren't small things ... they are some of the biggest things of all, as far as I'm concerned.) The vegetables and herbs I'm growing have been a source of great joy, so I loved seeing yours too. And your floral page is lovely - full of warmth.
Stay safe, stay well.
Alison x

Meggymay said...

Yes there is a great sadness for many people in every country. Lifting the restrictions on movement and them being different in many areas has me hoping that people will respect each other more ,to project not just their families but every one else as well.
Your journal page looks beautiful, daffodils are such happy flowers to me. Thank you for linking the page with us at Try it on Tuesdays as well as Mia's AJJ theme.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx
p.s I still have no email access.

mamapez5 said...

The statistics don't make happy reading do they?. I try not to listen too much, but hold all the affected families in my thoughts and prayers.
We seem to have turned the corner in Spain and there were no deaths reported yesterday for the first time. But the rules have been relaxed a lot now, so we are all hoping there won't be a second wave.
Well done on the garden. It is not easy to keep on top of things. I like all the herb pots.
The journal page is beautiful. I love the daffodil image.
Stay safe and stay hopeful. Hugs. Kate x

Lisca said...

All those deaths are really sad. We are living in horrible times. Ans I expect the death toll will go up again as the restrictions are relaxed. Time will tell. We're staying put. Still only going out to shop for food.
Your back yard is looking good. It's amazing how mowing the grass makes it look so much better.
Oh your daffodil card is so sweet. beautiful.
Have a great weekend,
Stay safe and take care,
Hugs,
Lisca

da tabbies o trout towne said...

elizabeth, the journal page iz awesome as is your herb garden. I hope they all thrive and you are happy with the end results..

bleu N squiggles heerz two a grate week oh end; get in trubullz ;) ☺☺♥♥

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your yard and plants look good Elizabeth. Thank you for explaining about the twin trees. How sad that your new neighbor decided to cut down the tree on their side of the two subplots. I love trees. I had a huge one growing in my front yard, that provided shade so my house didn't get too hot during the Summer. It ended up dying (which is a bit of a long story, so I won't go into that) and I had to have it cut down when another tree fell across my driveway (another longish story).

Your art piece is lovely.

This whole covid-19 situation is very unpleasant and sad. Connecticut has "partially" re-opened, but I'm sticking to my only go out when essential plan, as if we were still in the full Lock Down. The nearby zoo is reopening June 1, I think, but face masks required, 6 feet social distancing, 50% capacity, etc. so things aren't really "open" as in back to normal.

Did you mention you don't have any Old Fashioned Bleeding Hearts in one of my photo posts? Or did you say they don't grow where you are? Anyway, I'm trying to "harvest" some seeds from my Old Fashioned Bleeding Hearts, so if you're interested, I could mail you some seeds. Right now, I don't have any yet. I picked the pods too soon, and the seeds were still white. There are more pods, so I'm going to wait until they look fatter, in the hopes I can get some seeds, which need to have turned black in color to grow. They also need to go through "Winter" which can be simulated by putting them in the freezer for X amount of weeks. The seeds are supposed to be planted in the Spring, I think after the last frost, and it can take up to 30 days for them to germinate. Anyway, that was very long winded, but if you want to give it a go with some seeds, I can mail you some, if I succeed in harvesting any. (Please email me your address if you want to try the seeds. Maybe check if the plants will grow in your zone first. I'm in zone 6, and they do okay here, but I'm not sure what their zone range is.)

Mia said...

We live in strange and historical times, Elizabeth. We all have to be careful and have faith that this will pass too. Please stay safe.
I love your gorgeous page with the lovely daffodils and the beautiful background. Great colors too. Thank you so much for joining again my challenge at AJJ. Kisses, my dear friend.

DVArtist said...

I can't even make myself watch the news anymore. I it the same story night after night with the "thing" in the white house not giving a crap about any one or anything but himself. My town, over the weekend was packed with tourists. No one person was wearing a mask, or keeping a distance. We have had 2 cases of covid in my town but now, I am sure we will have many. Enough of that. I am loving the flowers you are creating and your garden is awesome.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm encouraging moss and violets in my patio "cracks", but I may try creeping thyme. I love all your herbs!

I fear the current protests will exacerbate virus spread, but honestly, the protests may be the only think worth the risk :(

Lowcarb team member said...

2020 had such a nice ring to it on the 1st January … but sadly our hopes for a bright new year have not materialised. I pray for all those who have been affected by the virus and the other tragic events that have been happening worldwide too.

On a more positive note I enjoyed your art today and your garden is looking very good.

All the best Jan

Eileen Bergen said...

Lovely page, Elizabeth. I like your potted herbs arrangement on the patio. Eileen xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Your garden looks an absolute delight Elizabeth! Cool and green is what I need right now! This virus has done some terrible things and I don't think it's done with us yet! Lots of folk here are ignoring warnings to stay apart and risking the lives of others for their own pleasure! I'm not going 'off guard' yet. I worry about my son who will be back in school tomorrow with fuller classes! Take care dear friend, Chrisx

Helen said...

Beautiful gardens and gorgeous art journal spread! LOVE those die cuts you used to frame your focal point! Thanks for joining us at Try it on Tuesday! ((HUGS)) Helen

Caty said...

Your garden is really fabulous Elizabeth !! I love the little plants in the pots, and the great Art page you have created, full of spring and happiness.
Have a nice week, Big hugs
Caty

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you showed your garden. I'm not much in the mood for giggles these days either and seeing the sprouts of green and new life is far more encouraging. And I DO love your table!