Monday, November 11, 2019

Veterans Day


We in the States celebrate this federal holiday we call Veterans Day today.  Remember, it is not called Veteran's Day or Veterans' Day because it is not possessive, but a day to celebrate and honor ALL veterans, alive and no longer living.

For the most part, the rest of the world celebrates Armistice Day or Remembrance Day.  It's the same day and basically means the same thing.  After all, Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day in the States, too.   In France and Belgium it is still celebrated as Remembrance Day.  Likewise in the Commonwealth Countries of the United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada, November 11 is observed as Remembrance Day, with varying celebrations.

The history of this event goes back to 1918.  World War I (WWI), often referred to as the Great War, or the "war to end all wars," ended when there was an armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities between the Allies and Germany at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in November, 1918.

This armistice led to the Paris Peace Conference, and although the fighting had stopped, it took nearly six more months for the Allies to agree to the terms of the treaty.  The official treaty, once signed in June, 1919, became known as the Treaty of Versailles.

On November 11, 1919, President Wilson announced the first Armistice Day that originally called for the suspension of business for a two minute period beginning at 11 A.M..  The day also consisted of parades and public events.

On the second anniversary of the armistice, France and the United Kingdom held ceremonies honoring their unknown dead from the war.

In the U.S., throughout the 1920s and 1930s, most states established November 11 as a legal holiday, while at the Federal level, an annual proclamation was issued by the President.  Congress passed legislation in 1938 making November 11 a legal Federal holiday known as Armistice Day.

World War II and the Korean War created millions of additional war veterans in addition to those from World War I, who at that time, was the only group officially recognized to be honored by Armistice Day.

According to VA.gov:
An Act (52 Stat. 351; 5 U. S. Code, Sec. 87a) approved May 13, 1938, made the 11th of November in each year a legal holiday—a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated and known as "Armistice Day." Armistice Day was primarily a day set aside to honor veterans of World War I, but in 1954, after World War II had required the greatest mobilization of soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen in the Nation’s history; after American forces had fought aggression in Korea, the 83rd Congress, at the urging of the veterans service organizations, amended the Act of 1938 by striking out the word "Armistice" and inserting in its place the word "Veterans." With the approval of this legislation (Public Law 380) on June 1, 1954, November 11th became a day to honor American veterans of all wars.

Since President Eisenhower had been a 5 star general in WWII, he also believed that all veterans should be honored.  Therefore, President Eisenhower rededicated Nov. 11 not only to those who had died, but to all who had served.  President Eisenhower signed into law HR7786, the proclamation changing Armistice Day to Veterans Day.

That's how our Armistice Day became Veterans Day.  I hope you enjoyed this brief look back at the history of this great day.  Be sure to hug a vet today and tell him/her/them how much you appreciate their sacrifice.  And thanks for joining me on this day that affects not just those of us who live in the U.S., but affects many who know or have known a veteran regardless the country from which you visit today.

This is Day 11 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM), hosted by Leah Piken Kolidas
and I celebrated Veterans Day by sharing a bit of the history of the event.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Yes, it is important to remember all who served. It seems to be fashionable today to forget everything as quickly as possible, but we need to remember what happened, and how brave people were. Valerie

Cath Wilson said...

Ah, now I see. You're actually posting a day behind! It was Remembrance Sunday here, so we celebrated our armed forces, too.
Have a lovely week, Elisabeth.
Cath x

craftytrog said...

It's good to remember all who have died serving their country, and those who are suffering still. As Cath said, in the UK we mark the day on the nearest Sunday. I don't like to say 'celebrate', it somehow sounds to me like we are glorifying war.

magiceye said...

Happy Veterans Day!

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed the history of how the day evolved into Veterans Day.

Birgit said...

This is a very important day and I am thinking of my dad who fought in the war and my mom who endured it. I think of my 2 Uncles who I will never know.

Meggymay said...

A day to remember no matter where we live in our world.
A lovely post.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

Happy Veterans Day. This is wonderful post to celebrate this important day in history and for the veterans and people who serve today. Hugs-Erika

Linda Manning Findley said...

Wonderful post "E" as always you help us remember the things that have been sacrificed for our freedom ...

Divers and Sundry said...

Too many people here confuse it with Memorial Day. My mother was a baby when the first Armistice Day was declared. I find the VA.gov quote interesting: "a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace". So often I see sabre-rattling on this day instead :(

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great history behind today Elizabeth.

On a separate topic, please thank Scott for providing that helpful information about Linux. I'm going to use the same "flavor" as you, but the latest release on the site. I'll try it in a Virtual Box first, when I have spare time. The first thing I'll try on it is GIMP. :-)

Later in time I'll look into seeing if I can set up a dual boot. (That might not be possible.) I still also need to look into trying to uninstall as much Microsoft bloatware as I can out of Windows 10. I want a new version: Windows 10 Lite. ;-)

Iris Flavia said...

And guess what happened here. Even here in the North now, post to come. They celebrated carnival :-(
How much disrespect can come from a nation? Or call it ignorance. Dumbness.
I am only half German and my Father´s Father was no soldier, but I still felt so ashamed seeing the drunks giggeling and partying ...

DVArtist said...

Elizabeth, I wish I could share this post with everyone. My family is military and we know first hand. My son was a SSGT in the army, my Granddaughter is a SSGT in the AF and just returned home from deployment from the middle east. My Grandson just served 6 years in the AF and my youngest Grandson will be going into the AF after he graduates high school this next year. My SIL is 21 years and a MSGt in the Marines.He has been deployed 11 time to the worst places. So this post is means a lot to me. Thank you for presenting our service men and women with such honor and dignity. Also thank you for the best wishes on my eye. You are so sweet and thoughtful. Hugs N

TammyVitale said...

thanks for this, Elizabeth!

Bill said...

A day to remember all the Veterans.

pearshapedcrafting said...

We attended a service a the local war memorial - it was sad listening to the list of servicemen who lost their lives, especially when the same surname was repeated in succession! It's good to remember and honour all veterans! Chrisx

NatureFootstep said...

I´d rather forgive and forget and get on with a peaceful life.

RO said...

Always love that you take the time to share the history and to recognize Vets. Your kindness is appreciated every year. Hugs, RO

Jeanie said...

I love it when you write about history, Elizabeth. You do it so well, so clearly. I think too many have already forgotten the horrors of both this war and WWII as we are seeing so many things change to a very hostile world. We must always remember and always honor.