Thursday, August 22, 2019

Paris on my mind


Today I'm once again joining Gill of Gibby Frogett Craftations this month's host at Art Journal Journey where her theme is Anything With Eyes.  Further, I'm joining More Mixed Media again with their monthly theme that includes something bright

I know this is metallic, but I hope it's bright enough for More Mixed Media.  When I saw this in draft mode, it looked like Paris had been surrounded by a winter snow storm!

The man in the postage stamp qualifies as my eyes today.

I printed this on watercolor paper.  It seems when I find something new to play with, I don't let it go until I've played around with it for awhile.  I'm starting to love watercolor paper.

By now, many of you know I'm driven by color, and the color of the postage stamp seemed to echo that of the copper in the background.

For this page, I began with a sheet of black construction paper that I spritzed with my handmade shimmering mists.  I also made splotches using my silver leafing pen, to which I also outlined the construction paper and the focal image.  My friend Chris sent the original collage of Paris, but it wasn't the right size.  I scanned the image, then sized it to fit the substrate.  I printed it on watercolor paper using my inkjet printer, which works better than my laser printer does with thicker paper.  The postage stamp, which is a man with eyes, was gifted me by Caty.

I'm so thrilled you joined me today.  It means the world to me.  I also hope you will join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey as well as More Mixed Media, too.

22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful Paris page, looks like you had fun making it. Thanks so much for joining us at More Mixed Media, much appreciated! I'm sure Gill will be thrilled that you made yet another journal page for her challenge. Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I adore this wonderful page and it is another stunning and beautiful entry for AJJ! Awesome!
Have a great day Elizabeth!
Susi xxx

Gibby Frogett said...

Fabulous piece and great techniques Elizabeth. The colour of the stamp compliments the metalics in the background nicely.
I smiled when you said about the postage stamp qualifying for the eyes - because of course there's all those people up on the Eiffel tower too :)
Gill xx

Barbara said...

Your lovely page over-qualifies! I see a face in the Arch de Triumph.

My name is Erika. said...

Your hand made shimmering mist really leaves some ice splotches. I can't tell its metallic but it is still pretty. Oh Paris would be wonderful right now. This is a great piece and glad you shared it. Happy Thursday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Very pretty. I like the minimalist feel.

Nancy said...

Nice! The copper accent works really well and the image is so inviting.

Divers and Sundry said...

Sizing images for use in art would be a cool use of a printer :) I like the colors in your background and how the stamp picks up the copper.

Sami said...

Lovely page of Paris Elizabeth.

Darla said...

I havent been around for awhile and was delighted to see this page first thing, You did a really good job with the layout and with the couches of copper and the stamp. Very sophisticated I think.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a stunning page! I love the background paper and the image, it looks so beautiful printed on the watercolour paper and the postage stamp finishes the page perfectly 😀. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Meggymay said...

Another lovely background for your page. It looks amazing, I am thinking Paris in the evening and a walk to visit this famous Tower.
Yvonne xx

Lowcarb team member said...

I think your Paris page looks beautiful :)

All the best Jan

Caty said...

WWoooww, this is a super Wonderful Art journal page Elizabeth !! REally I love, each time more, your lovely handmade shimmering mists. The background is spectacular ! Love the beautiful image of the Eiffel Tower in the center, and the stamp, that man is Juan Carlos I. King Juan Carlos I reigned in Spain from 1975 to 2014, when he abdicated and his son Felipe was consecrated new king. I´m so happy you can use this stamp, thanks for your great Art !
I wish you a very nice Friday, and send you
Big hugssss, Caty

Cindy McMath said...

Absolutely lovely Elizabeth! I love the theme, and it really makes me want to go back to Paris for a visit. Even a long weekend wasn’t nearly long enough!

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

That was supposed to read “helps keep ME going” ....not you going.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Stunning page, Elizabeth, so pretty! xox

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, this is lovely - I didn't see snowstorm, I saw a combination of starry skies and fireworks. Such a wonderful layered image in the centre, so evocative of Paris.
Alison x

Meggymay said...

Its another fabulous journal page and a super background.
I have enjoyed your visits to the Military exhibits in the museum.
Todays funnies were great, I loved the talking dog, and meals om wheels ones.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Well, I think you should know by now that anything with Paris (especially the Eiffel Tower!) gets me right away. It's a terrific page!

Rike said...

It's great how your stamp echoes the background, a wonderful background on black paper, I like it! I agree playing around with something new always is a pleasure and now you are starting to love watercolor paper!
I never tried printing on watercolor paper I have too much fear that the paper does not go through the printer :) I am a coward!
Best greetings, Rike xx