Friday, August 16, 2019

Friday Smiles 334: Back to the Museum of World Treasures


It's Friday and time once again to join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles.   Today I an returning to the Museum of World Treasures.  But first, a couple of funnies I found when cleaning my office last year.

One evening a man drove his secretary home after she had imbibed a little too much at an office reception. Although it was an innocent gesture, he decided not to mention it to his wife, who tended to get jealous rather easily. 

The next night, the man and his wife were driving to a restaurant. Suddenly, he looked down and spotted a high-heel shoe half hidden under the passenger seat.
Not wanting to get caught, he waited until his wife was looking out her window before he scooped up the shoe and tossed it out of the car.

With a sign of relief, he pulled into the restaurant parking lot. That’s when he noticed his wife squirming around in her seat.

“Honey,” she asked, “have you seen my other shoe?”




On a whim a man decided to get his wife a dozen roses and surprise her after work.

The minute he opened the door, his wife started screaming at him, “This is the worst day that I have EVER had! The kids have been terrible. They got in a food fight, the washing machine broke and flooded the basement, I burned dinner and the dog chewed up my best pair of shoes…”

She then looked at the roses he was holding, “…and now you’ve obviously done something wrong!”




What A Woman Wants In A Man Before She is 40
  1. Handsome
  2. Charming
  3. Financially Successful
  4. A Caring Listener
  5. Witty
  6. In Good Shape
  7. Dresses with Style
  8. Appreciates the Finer Things
  9. Full of Thoughtful Surprises
  10. An Imaginative, Romantic Lover
What A Woman Wants In A Man After She is 40
  1. Not too ugly
  2. Doesn’t belch or scratch in public
  3. Works steady
  4. Doesn’t nod off while she’s emoting
  5. Usually remembers the punch lines of jokes
  6. Is in good enough shape to rearrange the furniture
  7. Usually wears matching socks and fresh underwear
  8. Knows not to buy champagne with screw-on tops
  9. Remembers to put the toilet seat lid down
  10. Shaves on weekends.



Although this married couple enjoyed their new fishing boat together, it was the husband who was always behind the wheel operating the boat. 

He was concerned about what might happen in an emergency. So one day out on the lake he said to his wife, “Please take the wheel, dear. Pretend that I am having a heart attack. You must get the boat safely to shore and dock it.”
So she drove the boat to shore.

Later that evening, the wife walked into the living room where her husband was watching television. She sat down next to him, switched the TV channel, and said to him, “Please go into the kitchen, dear. Pretend I’m having a heart attack and set the table, cook dinner and wash the dishes.”



Just to update you, since it's been awhile since we were here, we have covered the Founding of America, the Hall of Presidents, the Civil War, Creating the Crown, and World War II.  We have three final Military Galleries to visit.  It's a good thing, too, because it's almost time for another Smithsonian Museum Day.

On this day, if you live in the U.S., you and a guest can visit a participating museum free of charge.  Find a participating museum in your area, then download the ticket from your valid e-mail account.  Tickets became available to download on  August 15, 2019.  I already have my ticket for this year.  If you thought I took a lot of photos in 2015 (Cowtown), 2016 (Cosmosphere and Stratica in Hutchinson, KS), 2017 (Sedgwick County Historical Society), and 2018 (this, the Museum of World Treasures), wait till you see where I go this year.  I'll be taking extra batteries and an extra memory card, too!

With WWII in the background, it's time to visit World War I, the one called the "war to end all wars."

Although I took five pictures of this vignette, all but one of which were out of focus, I don't remember what this was supposed to represent.  I probably knew 11 months ago, but I have no notes to fall back on.  Whatever it represented, it looks like a bomb hit it.

I will let you peruse these photos and read them at your own leisure and discretion.  I'll only leave comments as needed.   Remember, most of WWI was fought in Europe, so this might be something of interest to my Friday Smiles friends.






I "sort of" photo bombed this photo.  That's my curly hair, arm, and camera. 





Maybe this is a better shot.

I thought Annie and Kate might like these either knitted or crocheted sweater, scarf, gloves, and hat.






I thought my friend Chris might like this poster.













You can ring the bell here by turning the key on the side of the box.


 






In case you can't read the writing by a French soldier:
What a bloodbath, what horrid images, what a slaughter.  I just cannot find the words to express my feelings.  Hell cannot be this dreadful. 
Museum Day 2018 was devoted to women making history.  I think this is an appropriate ending to World War I.



I snagged these photos from the Museum's web site.  Looks like I missed a few photos and a couple of exhibits, but for the most part, everything looks as I photographed it last September.

Let's find out what others are smiling about this Friday.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  We would love to have you join us, too.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for sharing all the photos, although I am not a fan of war museums. Have a great Friday, Valerie

Lynn Holland said...

I’m sat up in bed chuckling at your little tales. Philip has just walked in to see what I’m laughing at in bed on my own. I won’t tell you what quip I came out with. Suffice it to say it wasn’t clean haha xx

Annie said...

Your funnies always make me smile....I do sometimes wonder what sort of office you worked in :-)
I'm not a lover of war museums but always find something interesting in your photos so thanks for sharing them.
Hugs,
Annie x

CJ Kennedy said...

Good funnies. Especially the flowers and you've done something wrong. 😺
My grandfather fought in WWI (Ma's father and how he became a citizen) Interesting to see some of the things he might have seen. Dad told me he fought in some of the big battles. The war to end all wars. Too bad we didn't learn.

My name is Erika. said...

I got my email about museum day yesterday. We haven't decided yet where we will go. The Hubby wanted to visit the USS Massachusetts but its not one of the freebies so now he is deliberating what he prefers. (smile). I can't wait to see your pick this year. and that is too bad about your mint plant. I always thought they did ok with water, but maybe not too much water. I know a lot of herbs like it a bit dryer. And I enjoyed today's visit to the museum. They really do have a lot. WWI is something I don't really know that much about so it was interesting to check this out. Happy Friday. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

Great funnies and super interesting photos of the exhibits!
Happy weekend!
Susi xxx

mamapez5 said...

You must have an enormous file of funnies. You always find something to make us smile.
I am not a fan of war museums either, but the 'bomb-site' picture made me smile, only because you can¡t remember what it represents. That would be me too. Kate xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad to see Edith Wharton featured here. Cool! It's always interesting to see the war exhibits that cover people in the service and people at home. The way the men lived in service in WW1 is hard to imagine :( We don't need to forget.

Sami said...

Loved the funnies Elizabeth, my favourite was the one about the woman driving the boat.
Wow that was a lot of money spent feeding the US military during the war.
Interesting exhibits at the Museum.
Have a lovely weekend.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Enjoyable funnies Elizabeth. Thank you for mentioning free museum day coming up. I forgot about that, and need to get tickets. Great museum exhibit for WW1.

Meggymay said...

More interesting photos from the museum visit, the exhibits all looked good.
I am smiling at the funnies, especially the wife's remark when she saw the flowers.
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, great view of the museum and it's good that people can see what went on maybe it would make them think twice about war.....we;; we can but hope. Your funnies just make me laugh so much, brilliant. Thanks for the visit over at mine too. Have a great weekend. hugs Angela xXx

Words and Pictures said...

Great funnies... like Yvonne, I especially like the bouquet woman's remark!

Thanks for sharing all those pictures from your visit to what looks like a really interesting museum.
Alison x

Birgit said...

The funnies were great. The last one i won’t read t my hubby since he is good and does the dishes and cooks during the week since I work outside the home and he is in forced retirement. That one about what we look for is so funny. When we get past 50 we just hope they don’t fart in any store aisles thinking the aisle is empty. That one pic of the part opened wall reminds me of my mom. When she was in Hamburg during the bombing of 1943, there were “fake” walls with picks and shovels. When the bombings hit, she hid in the basement with a few other people. The house collapsed from a bomb. They waited the bombings out, which was 3 days, and then they took the picks and shovels and hit through the walls until they go to a home that was still standing. Maybe it is something like this??

Elizabeth said...

Hi Elizabeth, your funnies made me chuckle - there's a grain of truth in all of them. I've really enjoyed your posts about the Smithsonian. The 'war to end wars' was just that for my great-grandfather - he'd also been in the Second Boer War (1899-1902). As you can imagine he was quite old, by army standards, by the time he was involved in WW1 so was sent out to France as an ambulanceman. He did return but as a very changed man - he suffered from a gas attack and shell shock. He died a few years later and my great-grandmother was a widow for 40+ years - a fact she never tired of telling us. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the weekend. xx

Lisca said...

I chuckled at your funnies. Where do you dig them up from? Yes, I know, cleaning out the office....
The WWI exhibits were interesting. Although from what you showed us I didn't get much info about the American involvement of it. I know it was fought in Europe, so did the Americans send troops? Or were they involved in some other way?
Of course I read with interest about Edith Wharton.
Looking forward to seeing where you went on Museum day.
Enjoy your weekend (or what's left of it)
Lisca

pearshapedcrafting said...

The second funny made me laugh and then I had to explain to T what I was laughing at.......Elizabeth....it got a groan!!!! The museum has some excellent displays - we have the Imperial War Museum North not far away but don't visit often now the grandchildren are older, maybe next year we will have more time! Hugs, Chrisx

سحر العيون said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض



شركة رش مبيدات بالجبيل 0541706873 المراكز الاولي للقضاء علي الحشرات

Jeanie said...

You had some very good funnies this week! I do love this museum's war exhibits. They're so well done and fascinating and you do such a wonderful job capturing them in your photos.