Monday, August 12, 2019

Flower Bed Update


Now that ICADs are complete, I have a few hours between Sunday and T Time.  My internet friend CJ has a weekly post asking How does your garden grow?  Perhaps now is the time for an update on my own garden.

Right now, the Surprise Lilies/Naked Ladies are the only flowers growing in my flower bed.

Even the rose bush is dormant.


The rain has knocked some of the flowers over.

I'm surprised more weren't battered to the ground.


Enjoy because they won't be around much longer.

Soon they will be history, just like my day lilies.

You never see the north side of my house, except from the street.  The pine tree is on my property.  The two behind it are not.  There's a fence separating them and my property, but there is so much overgrowth you can't see it.

My holly which will never bloom because I only have one, has taken over.  Behind it is a Rose of Sharon that worked its way to where it sits today.

Although I cut the Rose of Sharon back every year, it still grows each summer and reaches the roof area of my porch.  The windows you see are the one in my craft room and the one in my main floor bath to the left of it.

Here's a different angle of the lilies in the flower bed.

Another Rose of Sharon volunteer has sprung up over the past year, too.

The flowers are lovely,

but they attract bugs,

and don't press well at all.

My neighbor's driveway is now complete,

but there are still a few "mole hills."

Finally, the many, many bulbs I planted here this spring didn't materialize, and this is all that's left of my Lilies of the Valley.

I hope you are having better luck with your garden or flower bed.  Thanks for taking time to visit today.


14 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Good to see your garden. My balcony garden is looking very sad, the heat killed most of the plants, I need to plant new ones. But not yet, I will wait till the weather is cooler. Have a great day, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

The lilies and the rose of sharon are very pretty. I think all plants attract bugs. 😺 Your gardens and yard look like a very peaceful place.

My name is Erika. said...

Those lilies are knock your socks off gorgeous. I think I mentioned they are new to me but I really like them. And you get rose of Sharon flowers. My story about that plant is that my parents had one when I was growing up but it never ever flowered. My neighbors, who came from Ireland, used to come over and pray over it as they felt they might bring it to flower. But that never worked at all. I think my dad eventually replaced it with something as ordinary as a spruce tree once the Irish neighbors moved and he wanted some more privacy. I love seeing your yard. It is looking so lush. And nice to see the other view of your house too. Happy Monday. See you later for T. hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I like having some trees and larger shrubbery between part of the house and the street. There are so many possibilities for that. I like your pine, but I've never been a holly fan even when there are berries. Too prickly for me lol What a shame about the bulbs. I wonder what happened. I do like how you've edged that bed with the bricks.

I'm looking for something that'll flower and attract pollinators but that won't need full sun. I'm not having much luck with that :( My herbs are already fading.

I always enjoy your gardening posts :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Your garden is looking lovely - those lilies are a good splash of colour! We went around Dunham yesterday and to start with their was no colour at all where all the Spring flowers bloom except for shades of green! We should have been at our caravan but the weather forecast for that area was dire so we stayed put!! I do love pine trees and loved seeing the shrubs grow around it! Hugs, Chrisx

Birgit said...

I love those delicate pink flowers. I also love the bushes and trees. I didn't know the holly needed a mate to bring the red berries out. It's a lovely spread you have. I am the kiss of the death when it comes to plants so my hubby does it all and enjoys himself. To have the one yard be nothing but stone and weeds (used to be a parking area for people who rented from the previous home owner) to a garden filled with flowers and an ivy fence..he did wonders.

Sami said...

I like the pink lilies and the Rose of Sharon. I had no idea it was called that, similar to an Hibiscus, but I'd never see a pink one.
What a pity your bulbs didn't germinate Elizabeth.
Gardening is sometimes a hit and miss.

peggy gatto said...

Wow, just fun and shows lots of hard work!!!!!!!!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I'd like to say yes, but when things bloom around here, the bass terd hare as da tabbies say, eats everything in sight, and what he doesn't lay waste too, the weather does !!!

your side yard is awesome; I wish I could look out and see green instead of siding !!! ☺☺☺♥♥♥

sheila 77 said...

I love to see other gardens so thanks, Elizabeth. The soft pink lilies are really lovely, if I were near I might ask for a little cutting (or however one propagates lilies) and the Rose of Sharon is another stunner.
We have had torrential rain for many days so the garden is a quagmire which is fine as we have so many other things to do.
Happy gardening!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Your soil must be very hard to grow things in. What a shame that the bubs didn't materialize after all that work. Still there are some very pretty parts and flowers. Eileen xxx

Meggymay said...

Your garden is looking lovely, it was good to see all the photos you shared today. They do take a lot of work as well as time to keep them tidy. You have some really pretty flowers growing, the colours are beautiful and must be a pleasure to see when you maybe weren't expecting them to bloom.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Your blooms have such a pretty bell shape and I'm wondering if they have a fragrance. Nice Rose of Sharon. I can't seem to kill mine, though heaven knows I've tried!

Caty said...

Wonderful lilies Elizabeth !! I looove them, would like to have them in my house, ohhh. Your flower bed looks fantastic, the trees and flowers are all so beautiful, what a great luck you have to feel them!!
I wish you a very nice afternoon,
Big hugsssss, Caty