Wednesday, May 1, 2019

The midnight sky


Today we are welcoming a new host to Art Journal Journey.  Please welcome Erika, aka Bio Art Gal, our host the entire month with her themes In the air/In the sky.  Today I've chosen In the sky.

As many of you know, I can't draw for anything.  Even when I try, I get it wrong.  This entry is a perfect example.

I call this "The midnight sky."

I used two water soluble crayons to color the words.

I masked off the moon using the last of the plastic circles that didn't get turned into a Chihuly entry, but unfortunately, I didn't get it back in the same spot it was in when I sprayed my handmade shimmering mists.  It was not completely circular, so that was part of the problem.


For the forest, I painted two of my handmade shimmering mists along the bottom of the page.

For this page, I began with 110 lb. card stock.  I masked off the bottom third of the page, as well as the moon, then spritzed my handmade shimmering mist on the top two-thirds of the page.  Unfortunately, I created a hard line on the right side of the page and no amount of painting on the green mists changed that.  I then used the same turquoise to outline the moon, then decided to outline it completely using a Zig ink pen.  Sadly, that was not my finest hour, but I had already worked so long on it, I couldn't throw it away.  Finally, I added computer generated text using a favorite font called Script.

Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me today.  I hope you will join Erika, Susi, Bleubeard, and me this month at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by In the air/In the sky, too.  Please be aware, we want to see your altered book pages, journal pages, loose journal art, canvases, fabric pages, and digital art.  However, we cannot accept cards, ATCs, ATCoins, or tags, and will be forced to delete your entry.

21 thoughtful remarks:

Cindy McMath said...

I think this turned out really great! I like the fact that the moon is not quite round and the way the mists go over the edge in spots - very artsy! So glad you are back! I was going to visit your temporary blog but thought I’d try here first. Looks like I’ve missed quite a few posts - I will say your lovely tissue box book was amazing! I will go back and comment on some of your other works. Your belated bEARTHday envelope is sitting here waiting to go to the PO.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page Elizabeth. Have a great May, Valerie

Neet said...

This is a lovely page Elizabeth and it fits the subject so well. Don't be too critical of yourself - your circle is circular and I love the way you have used your spray inks.
Hugs, Neet xx

My name is Erika. said...

Once again I disagree with your drawing statement. I happen to like your midnight sky. It has the full moon effect-not really black but rather blue and you can just make out the shadows on the ground. I am glad you shared this at AJJ as it is a great example of the theme. And I hope your weather is better than ours. A little sun, a lot of clouds, a little rain...it is really fickle. Hey, that would be a great page. Smile. Happy May! hugs-Erik

froebelsternchen said...

And I happen to like your painting skills as well! I love the colours and all the fresh elements -- Clean and simple and just BEAUTIFUL!
Have a great May dear Co.-Admin and I am looking forward to many wonderful blogpostings here on your blog!
Lots of LOVE for all the support and hard work for AJJ!!! ♥♥♥
Susi xxx

CJ Kennedy said...

I love your interpretation and the colors you chose. Happy May Day!

Rike said...

I like how the moon stands out of the midnight sky and it does not matter that the circle is not round enough - it is very artsy! You should not be so critical to yourself, dear Elizabeth! Your drawing and painting is fabulous!
Wish you a happy May Day! Rike xx

WendyK said...

Great colours to use on your lovely page.

Sami said...

Love the colour combination Elizabeth :)

Divers and Sundry said...

Actually, I think this piece is proof you _can_ draw. Your drawing here is perfectly suited to this entry. I'm always impressed by the backgrounds, and I love this one.

Sandra said...

Ooh! I like this piece!
Thank you for your kind words at my blog, dear Elizabeth. Much appreciated.

Meggymay said...

It is a great page with a beautiful full white moon to shine in the night sky. I don't think the edge of the moon ever looks a pure circle, so don't worry yourself. Its a fabulous page.
Yvonne xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is beautiful Elizabeth. I love this.

Darla said...

I think this is a truly beautiful page. I don't think being precise in some things is really an advantage. A photo is precise. Your painting has atmosphere.

pearshapedcrafting said...

If you hadn't mentioned it I thought the blue around the edge of the circle was intentional! I absolutely love this Elizabeth! These colours are my happy colours and this is a great first entry at AJJ! Big hugs, Chrisx

sheila 77 said...

Dear Elizabeth, I don't know whether to laugh or cry, laugh with your descriptions and comments or cry because you don't see how good this is. Your painting is beautiful, it has soul and life and illustrates exactly what it is meant to illustrate. I like your very personal moon, the way it has a partial outline of turquoise, and love the shimmering forest and the bright moon-lit sky.

Daniela Rogall said...

Wonderful interpretation, I love the sprinkle. This creates dynamism.
Happy weekend
Dani

craftytrog said...

I love the simplicity of this page Elizabeth! Beautiful colours too.
Alison xxx

Halle said...

Love the colors in the one!!

Words and Pictures said...

It's a funny thing with this lark - when we make "mistakes" those end up being all we can see in a project... but when others look they don't see that... they read their own stories into it. I love the imperfection of your moon, slightly crumbly craters and shadows, and the simplicity of the forest is lovely.
Alison x

Jeanie said...

The blues and greens are wonderful together. I love your moon. It works for me. But you are like I am -- we see the things that we didn't like; others don't even see the problems!