Friday, May 17, 2019

Friday Smiles 321: Back to the Museum of World History


First, did you notice how much quicker my right sidebar loaded today?  I moved the top five bloggers who visit and comment to the last entry.  It was definitely slowing the sidebar down.

I'm joining Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles.  But first, here are a few funnies I found in my office when I cleaned it last year.

A fire started in the grasslands close to a farm. The county fire department rushed to the scene, but the fire was more than they could handle. Someone suggested calling the volunteer fire department. Despite some doubt that they would be of any assistance, they were called.
      
The volunteers arrived in a dilapidated old fire truck. They rumbled straight towards the fire, drove right into the middle of the flames and stopped! The firefighters jumped from the truck and frantically started spraying water in all directions. Soon they had snuffed out the center of the fire and leaving two parts which were easily put out.
       

As the farmer watched all this, he was impressed and grateful that his house and farm had been spared. He quickly got his checkbook and donated $1000 to the volunteer fire department.
       

A local news reporter asked the volunteer fire captain how they planned to use the funds.
      
The captain replied, "The first thing we're gonna do is get the brakes on our fire truck fixed!"





Leaving Miami for Ft Lauderdale, I decide to stop at one of those rest areas on the side of the road. I go into the bathroom. The first stall is taken, so I go into the second stall. I had just sat down when I hear a voice from the other stall............
      
 "Hi there, how is it going?"
      
Okay, I am not the type to strike up conversations with strangers in washrooms on the side of the road. I didn't know what to say, so finally I say:
      
"Not bad............"
      
 Then the voice says:
      
"So, what are you doing?"
      
I am starting to find this a bit weird, but I say:
      
"Well, I'm going to Ft Lauderdale.........."
      
Then I hear the person, all flustered, say:
      
"Look, I'll call you back. Every time I ask you a question, this idiot in the next stall keeps answering me!!!"




A new clerk was hired in a supermarket. A customer asked him if she could buy half a grapefruit. Not knowing what to do, he excused himself to ask the manager.
      
"Some nut out there wants to buy half a grapefruit..." he began, and, suddenly realizing that the customer had entered the office behind him, continued, " ... and this lovely lady would like to buy the other half."
       

The manager was impressed with the way the clerk amicably resolved the problem and they later started chatting. "Where are you from?" asked the store manager.
      
"Lancaster, Pennsylvania," replied the clerk, "home of ugly women and great hockey teams."
      
"Oh, my *WIFE* is from Lancaster," challenged the manager.
      
Without skipping a beat, the clerk asked, "What team was she on?"





Now we're heading back to the museum.

We are nearly finished in the Crown room.

Once again, I got turned around

then found myself in one of the World Wars.

I know you are thinking these are horrible photos, but the images bouncing off the glass were overpowering in the small room.

Here we are at the end of WWII and in England.

Many of you will recognize King George VI, who reigned until his death in 1952.  He was Elizabeth II's father.

We have seen the Hall of Presidents, Founding of America, the American Civil War, and Creating the Crown (in the exact middle of the map).  I left the room and, since I was turned around (again), I headed to WWII.

This was something I was truly interested in.  Too bad this photo was not crisp.


I never use a flash, so this was from a light in the room.

This represents Americans in WWII.


Imagine my surprise when I saw this photo in my browser.  I apparently caught the image just right and saw how the mannequin was put together.

I tried to find out more about these operations,

as well as the instrument the soldier was using.

One thing I recognized was the "flak" jacket the pilot was wearing.  I've seen several documentaries that show the same gear.

This apparatus, however, defied all my internet searches, although I was sure it had something to do with maps for pilots.

Now you may read these next plaques (or skip them, if you wish).

Americans on the beaches of France.

Why would ANYONE want a souvenir like that swastika?


Next, I walked into a small, narrow hallway.  It was nearly impossible to turn around in there, much less take decent photos.  However, this was the most interesting of all the exhibits I've seen so far.




A letter from a prisoner of Auschwitz is shown in German.  Apparently, this was a very important political prisoner, and not one headed to the "showers."







I read about this horrendous event when I created an article on what led up to the Japanese invading Hawaii.


I read about the tunnels where mainly Jewish prisoners worked on the V2 rockets, when I visited the Cosmosphere a few years ago.

Thanks as usual for joining me in the museum today.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  We would love to have you join, also.

22 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

I admire your continued efforts to photograph these museums you visit to share with us! I admit (on the rare occasions I go somewhere other than Kew, (grin)) that I rarely bother due to the reflections of the glass. Have a good weekend

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for sharing, have a great day, short message today, my fingers aren't working. Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Great post and interesting viewing. I learnt a lot from my dad in regards to WW11 while he was in the Polish army, some horrific stories too,xx

Annie said...

Love the funnies. The museum pics are spoiled by the glass...its such a shame they have to put it all behind the glass isn't it but I guess needs must.
Now to your question about my hubby's retirement...he could have comtinued working if he wanted to but, like most places, the company he works for has changed a lot over the 37 years he's worked for them and he has chosen to finish. The 3 day week offer was something offered by his bosses for his long service with them I think and not something they offer to everyone.
Hugs,
Annie x

My name is Erika. said...

I grew up with all those WWII stories from my dad and a couple of uncles, and as a kid I got tired of them sometimes. But now I miss them as all those people are gone. The connection to that war is going away so it good there is a museum exhibit like that so people don't forget. I enjoyed the visit via your blog. Hope it's a great FRiday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

That Swastika is an ugly reminder of our shameful past. As Erika pointed out many of the men and women that fought/lived during the Second World War have passed on. Not many of that generation left. As the war becomes a distant memory for the generations after, we need these images, no matter how horrible, to remind us Never Again. Seems a lot of people want to white-wash history. As painful as it is to admit the horrors that were committed, it's important for us to learn from the mistakes so we never repeat them.

R's Rue said...

Have a good day.

Sami said...

Lovely visit to the Museum.
Loved the funnies Elizabeth, I cracked up with the second one :)

Meggymay said...

I liked being with you via the photographs on your visit to the museum, This set really speak to me. War at any time is not good and the memories of the conditions during the second word war need to be remembered. The suffering of so many shouldn't be forgotten.
I listened to a quiz show recently and a question about Holocaust came up , the panel looked at each other and none could answer. They were youngish perhaps in their early 30's. Which made me think .... is this part of our history being taught in our schools.
I'll step off my box, I get so cross at what we don't teach our children these days.
It was a great post Elizabeth.
Yvonne xx

Lisca said...

How interesting that ww2 department. I grew up with war stories from my parents and other relatives. Some of the things I read in your photos I did not know. Some things are really atrocious and unbelievably cruel. It’s good now that the war generation is dying out, the museum educates people on what happened.
I loved your funnies. Especially the last one.
Have a great weekend,
Lisca

Elizabeth said...

Hi Elizabeth, I enjoyed the funnies - they made me chuckle. The museum's WWII exhibit is certainly interesting, despite the difficulty you had with photographic glare. I was pleased to see that the experience of being on the homefront has been included, as well as that of the conscientious objector. My father served in the war and after marching from Italy to Germany did eventually arrived at one of the concentration camps, an experience that seem to haunt him for life. I'm sure he wasn't alone. And I don't think he'd appreciate that swastika as a souvenir. Have a great weekend. Elizabeth xx

Caty said...

You made me smile Elizabeth! Good smiles!
Thank you very much for those photographs that you show us today of the museum, because they are photographs that hurt and that we must not forget, they are photographs of our common history, and, very possibly, they allow us to improve, in all the senses.
I wish you a very nice weekend,
and send big hugs, Caty

Sharon Madson said...

I love all your photos from the museum. Mine aren't as many or as good! LOL
Great smiles, as always. I read them to my husband. Have a great Friday! FYI, I posted today but not for Friday Smiles. :)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great view of the museum. There's so much to see. The funnies are good....again, just don't know where you find them but I love them. Have a great weekend. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Divers and Sundry said...

This is such a fascinating history and covers such a broad time span. Photos can be hard to get with the glass and the lighting, and I'm impressed by how well you do.

Darla said...

Had a good chuckle at your humor. Enjoyed the photos and info about the museum. Coincidently, I'm reading a novel that is mostly set in the WWII eera. The story takes place in England. "A God in Ruins" by Kate Atkinson. Highly recommend it.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Very interesting, Elizabeth. I just visited some amazing museums in Germany and France with the same subject matter. Very sober and thought provoking for sure. And I've been doing a lot of reading too.

Rita said...

Always love the jokes!
Very interesting museum. The dummies they use always give me the creeps a bit, though--LOL!

froebelsternchen said...

History is so interesting and so important for us! A fabulous museums visit Elizabeth! Thank you for taking me with you!

Jeanie said...

The WWII exhibits would really fascinate and intrigue me. I seem to resonate with that time, period, place. What a comprehensive exhibit and diverse museum. It's really a spot worth visiting. Thanks for sharing it.

pearshapedcrafting said...

These exhibits seem to be so informative! T and I were discussing yesterday about the fact that so many of the younger generation want to sanitise or indeed erase parts of history that relate the true facts of what happened in the past! We have heard recently of a statue being replaced because it wasn't PC! Huh!!!!????
Loved the fire truck funny!!! Hugs, Chrisx

mamapez5 said...

Hi Elizabeth. It is almost time for my next post and I have just realised that I forgot to return to comment on everyone else's posts last week. I only managed the two blog hostesses that I link to. Your funnies made me really laugh, though in all honesty I am not as interested in the history museum. But I do understand the fascination and importance it holds for others. You are very good at documenting your visits too. Kate x