Thursday, May 16, 2019

A Star is Born


Today I'm again joining Erika, of Bio Art Gal fame, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her themes In the air/In the sky.  Today I've once again chosen In the sky.


A star is born is the title of this piece.



You may need a telescope to view this event,

because I'm sure we aren't going to see this with the naked eye.



For this page, I began by cutting a legal sized envelope down to 8 inches by 8 inches (20,32 cm by 20,32 cm).  I found the image in my book of the cosmos and cut it by hand, including rounding the corners.  I then cut three stars freehand that were left from a backing page after I had misted card stock I used in a previous post. Next, I sewed the paper tape sent me by Erika, as well as the focal image and the sentiment.  I sewed around the focal image twice using two different variegated threads (one green and one blue).  The stars were glued in place using a glue stick.  The sentiment was computer generated and colored using two blue water soluble crayons, the gift from my friend Cindy that keeps on giving.

Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me today.  Your visit is greatly appreciated.  Bleubeard and I also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by In the air/In the sky, too.


29 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page, it's a pit we can't see events like that with the naked eye, it's fascinating. Have a great day, Valerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love this Elizabeth- testing this on my phone again! Hugs,Chrisx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Yay! You know I love it when you add sewing to your pages! Looks as though I have found a solution- I have added a text editor - which may be more efficient than the previous one! Hugs,Chrisx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Published here but failures elsewhere!!!grrr!!xx

aussie aNNie said...

wow this is amazingly stunning...love that colourful image.xx

Dortesjs said...

beautiful, great image

My name is Erika. said...

Oh I really like what you did with this image Elizabeth. The stitching looks great and what I really like are those big stars. Oh and I think that paper trim piece looks familiar too, perhaps? This is an excellent addition to the Art Journal Journey challenge. I really appreciate your support. Thanks again. hugs-Erika

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is lovely Elizabeth.

Mia said...

Really inspiring page, Elizabeth. I love the image, the sentiment and your stitching. Kisses, my friend.

CJ Kennedy said...

Great page. I love how the zig zag stitching vibrates with energy from the star cloud.

kathyinozarks said...

Loving it Elizabeth!
So glad you enjoyed the links to the Hoosier cabinets from Coppes-My oak one-the family one does have the Coppes Kitchen metal tag on the top. My Grandmas built in coppes cupboards also have the metal tag on top of the cabinets. I am hoping the new owners of the farm kept those-they were really nice.
do you have oak trees? one can make ink with the acorns too but haven't researched that out as to which species of oaks is best or how dark the ink will be.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

This is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It is powerfully beautiful!

Sami said...

Nice page Elizabeth, I also like the stitching and ribbon you used.

Caty said...

What a beauty of Art page Elizabeth!! I like it very much, it's Gorgeous. It is wonderful to see a star born in the sky, an unique event that makes us feeling immensely small in the universe .... But magnificent without a doubt.
I like those stars that you have added to the page, and the words too, beautiful everything!
I wish you a very nice afternoon,
and send big hugs,
Caty

froebelsternchen said...

Simply GORGEOUS ELizabeth! I always adore when you sew paper! It adds so much to your work! A fabulous entry linked to Erika's topic! Thank you!
Thinking of you!

Love and light from
Susi

junemac2 said...

Beautiful work, totally stunning subject too x

Divers and Sundry said...

That's my kind of star! I do love how you incorporate the sewn elements.

Evergreenmo said...

Lovely work and a clever idea. like the image of a star being born

Birgit said...

You did the stars freehand? Wowzers, that's great. Can you imagine if that image was close-I think we would all be scared it would swallow us up. Love the page with the zig zag stitching to boot!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

very nice piece Elizabeth; POP and WOW; the star helps bring attention to you stitching and the cut out....well done; and speaking of well done; the tabbies weren't lying...I can NOT cook !! ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺♥♥

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous page, I love the framed stitching around the amazing picture you shared. There are wonderous things happening out there in the Universe.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

It seems yours is the only blog I can comment on from my phone! Cxx

Rita said...

I love those photos from space...totally mesmerizing!! Great page! :)

Sharon Madson said...

Love your page, Elizabeth! I wanted to tell you that Doo Dah will reopen down town when the re-do is done. And as far as I know the one on S. Rock will stay open.

Jeanie said...

I never cease to be amazed at how you can come up with something perfect for any theme!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wonderful page! The image looks magical, I love the beautiful colours and the stitching 😁. I hope you had a lovely week and wishing you a happy weekend! Jo x

Rike said...

Great idea for "A star is born" to use this magical photo - a gorgeous collage! I like your using of two different variegated threads to surround it - and the rounded edges! Wonderful envelope background, and your hand cutted stars are fabulous!
Wish you a happy weekend, dear Elizabeth and Bleubeard!
Rike xx

Cindy McMath said...

Beautiful page and photo! The wonders of nature. I have been negligent on keeping up with your blog recently (and many other things). Hoping to catch up. Thank heavens it’s a long weekend!