Thursday, March 21, 2019

Meet me in St. Louie, Louie


Today I'm again joining Jo from Let's Art Journal who is our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her Hello Springtime theme.  I'm also joining Moo-Mania and More with their Colo(u)rful theme.  In addition to that, I'm joining Try it on Tuesday with their Say it with Flowers theme.

It's definitely springtime at the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, MO (Missouri, the state just east of Kansas in the U.S.).

According to Moo-Mania and More, they want to see colo(u)r in our entries with hardly any or no white areas.  I assure you, the arch is silver, made of brushed steel, and the clouds are the only white in this entry.

I may be stretching Try it on Tuesday's theme, but these are definitely flowering trees.  They even make a statement! 

The paper doll stands on washi tape (both the tape and the doll are by Tim Holtz).

I took a bit of license on this song.  The second line is actually "meet me at the fair."  This sentiment reads:
Meet me in St. Louie, Louie.
Meet me at the Arch.

The arch grounds look NOTHING like the last time I was there.  That doesn't surprise me, though, since I haven't been to the arch since the mid-1990s.

I began to wonder when all these flowering trees were planted.

Nothing like the internet to help fill in the blanks.

For this page, I began by printing a music score I found in my stash.  I'm not sure if it came from the Graphics Fairy or the New York Public Library.  I added it to my Challenges altered book using very strong double sided tape.  I did the same with the image I found in a magazine.  I used the same tape to adhere the image. When I laid the book completely flat, the pink paper broke at the center of the book.  I used the flower I created from punches to hide the page number and reinforce the flower theme.

Now I digress.  Years ago, I traveled to New York to see the reopening of the Statue of Liberty.  I was there on day four of the reopening.  I was young and dumb, and got sucked into Lee Iaccoca's promises, since I thought it was a good cause to repair the Statue.  When I got home, people asked what I thought of the Statue of Liberty.  I told them how disappointed I was.  It was NOTHING like the Arch, which I had already visited several times.

First, when you visit the Arch, you may take as much time as you like to take photos, appreciate the beauty of both the river and the city of St. Louis from high above.  Even though I'm frightened of heights, this didn't frighten me, and it was exhilarating.  For the Arch, you take a tram to the top and stay as long as you like.  There are viewing areas/windows that allow you to see from both sides.

When I visited the Statue of Liberty, I climbed the 354 steps, many of them tight.  I was in excellent physical health, but many people would not have made it.  My friend Sally wouldn't have even fit in the tight 19 inch staircase which winds to the top of the crown.  Back then, they allowed people who wanted to climb to the top to do so.  Now they only allow a limited number per day to climb to the crown.  Once up top, we were forced to keep moving.  I only had a brief time to take a few photos from the viewing windows and had to move on.  Such a disappointment.  It also wasn't as high (tall) as I anticipated it would be, either.  Certainly not like the Arch, which spoiled me for views and beauty.

While at the arch, you learn how it was created.  Much of the final work had to be done at night or early morning, since once the sun heated the arch, it distorted the two legs (until they were assembled, that is).

Old Courthouse in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, as seen from the top of the Gateway arch. Compliments of Wikipedia.

The Arch grounds were completely revamped beginning in 2015.  This and all following photos are from the St. Louis Dispatch, the city's main newspaper.

Back in the 80s, the City had concerts on the lawn in front of the Arch every July 4th.  I saw famous people like Elton John, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Willie Nelson, and others.  There were up to 850,000 people in attendance at some of the concerts.  It was summer and humid, but if it rained, the ground, which was basically fill dirt, turned to mud.  Believe me, I know.

Apparently that isn't the case anymore.  Now the project has brought in tons and tons of topsoil and planted nearly 4200 London Plane trees.  This is no longer a St. Louis National Expansion Memorial, because in 2018, according to Wikipedia:
The United States Congress approved the Gateway Arch National Park Designation Act in early 2018 to re-designate Jefferson National Expansion Memorial as Gateway Arch National Park. U.S. President Donald Trump signed the act into law on February 22, 2018.
This is a concept drawing, so I have no idea what the Arch looks like today.  However, you can see the trees that line both sides of the Arch.  Perhaps you will meet me under the Arch, too!

I'm so glad you decided to visit today.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey, Try it on Tuesday, and Moo-Mania and More, too.


30 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

I've never heard of the Gateway Arch but I love the trees in your first magazine image! I am not surprised to hear about the Statue of Liberty though, although I doubt I will ever get to visit myself to see if it is still like that (guessing yes)

Rosie said...

Wonderful pages

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Rosie said...

... and I say also thank you for joining us at
TRY IT ON TUESDAY

Let's Art Journal said...

A beautiful spread! I love the play on words and I always enjoy watching the film too, probably going to be singing that song all day now though ... lol 😉. The picture looks so pretty with the blossoms and arch and I love the colourful sheet music background too! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday and Art Journal Journey! Enjoy the rest of your week! J 😊 x

My name is Erika. said...

The arch is cool, but it is modern. The statue of liberty is Victorian, so you don't expect it to be the same thing. It's comparing apples to oranges as they say. But I do like your page. and thanks for joining us at TIOT with those beautiful spring flowers. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

I'd love to mee you under the arch Elizabeth!
I loved to read about your adventure at the Statue of Liberty as well...lol!
As it isn't possible to meet at those places just now I consider myself satiesfied to mee you at
Art Journal Journey, Moo Mania & More, Try It On Tuesday and here on your amazing blog every day!
Thank you so much for joining all three challenges at once today dear Dr.E.!
What a fabulous spread - those trees are gorgeous and you have created such a wonderful entry with the TH doll, wahsi tape and music sheet paper together with this amazing photograph for the three challenge topics! A rare beauty my friend!
Wishing you a wonderful day!
♥♥♥ LOVE from
Susi
off to free kibble..
I am sorry I so often forget to do it!

aussie aNNie said...

I have actually heard of this arch and it is spectacular, love your pages and the interest you expand for our knowledge...have a lovely weekend.x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful journal pages and I enjoyed reading about your travels.

Cindy McMath said...

Very interesting info about the arch. I’ve seen photos but had no idea you could actually go inside! I love stuff like that. I love the page and it’s perfect for the Spring theme. When I was in London I thought of you when I went to the new observation area of the Tower Bridge. I didn’t know about any of your experiences with this type of thing but I thought you would have found all of the information about the bridge interesting, and who can resist a great view of London. I’ve also been up the Eiffel Tower, the CN Tower, the Space Needle. I admire that you were able to climb to the top of the Statue of Liberty - sorry it was a letdown! You mentioned the freaky doll on my blog and I agree - they are creepy to me too. My grandma had a doll in her livingroom that I swore used to ‘watch” me from her glass eyes when I was growing up - LOL. She’s in my house now, but safely in a closet. Have a great day!

Nancy said...

Great post, and I like your journal page. Interesting how things change! Wouldn't Louie of the song be surprised at an Arch?

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I really love the collage with the sheet music. There is something so appealing (to me) to see print, either musical scores or writing) mixed in with visual art.

CJ Kennedy said...

Your page is lovely with the blooming trees. I've never been to the Arch so I enjoyed learning a little about it. The Eldest and I traveled to the Statue of Liberty on a school trip in 1997 we didn't climb up as the Eldest was afraid of heights. But we enjoyed walking around the statue and of course, the gift shop. Perhaps, the restrictions were in place because that statue is very old. The limited number allowed to the crown may be due to the age and also security issues after 9/11.

Sandra said...

This piece is so much fun and springy:)
The arch is very impressive.
Have a great one.

CJ Kennedy said...

Oh, and this week's Wordless Wednesday was a pun on yodeling. Yoda from Star War's his last name was Lay-hee-hoo. Yoda Layheehoo sounds like someone yodeling. =^,.^=

Sami said...

Your page is very pretty Elizabeth.
I never imagined you would be able to go to the top of that Arch.
I also climbed the Statue of Liberty in December 1991, such a long time ago...the last time I visited the States too.

Birgit said...

Your journal page is full of spring and warmth. Love the old fashioned dude amidst the pink. I have seen the Statue of liberty from a distance but never went to its grounds and I have not been in your area. The arch is something recognizes right away.

Mia said...

What a beautiful page, Elizabeth! The vintage boy is sooooo cute!!! Kisses, my friend.

Divers and Sundry said...

Beautiful! A wonderful view from both places :) and I love the Redbud trees. At least they look like redbuds. Masses of them!

Caty said...

What a so so Gorgeous Art page Elizabeth !! I love the beautiful background with these music sheet, and the image of the Arch and the trees, gorgeous flowers, yours too.
How interesting the history of the Arch of St Louis, and the photographs are incredible. Thank you very much for sharing them with us. When my son went to New York, they could climb up to the crown of the Statue of Liberty, and they liked it a lot. I don´t think I could climb to the top :) but the views are awesome.
I wish you a very happy Friday, and send big hugs,
Caty

Meggymay said...

Another great post full of information as well as a fabulous art journal spread.
I really love all the layers of detail you added and for me I would love to see those beautiful trees in blossom.
Thank you for linking this to our new Try it on Tuesdays challenge it fits the theme so well.
Yvonne xx

kathyinozarks said...

I loved this post. great art and I learned more about the arch-we use to pass right by the arch when we were moving here from northern Illinois-I was always curious of what it was like inside-would be neat to climb up in it and go to the museum too.
Happy friday and weekend Kathy

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It must be amazing to see the sun shine upon that arch, those blossom trees look incredible. It's a beautiful piece teamed up with the music sheet. I'll be humming that song all day now hee hee!!
Have a super weekend & take care Hugs Tracey xx

Eileen Bergen said...

Very pretty page, Elizabeth. I like your take on the song. I've never been to St. Louie, Louie, so I was fascinated by your description. The Statue of Liberty is impressive in a different way - the story behind it and the wonderful verse that has (or had) been memorized by grade school children since the statue was erected.

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous page Elizabeth, I love to see cherry trees in blossom, here in the UK the pinks are just beginning to show. I really enjoyed reading about your visit to the Statue of Liberty, but more interestingly the Arch. I've just checked out a YouTube video showing the ride to the top as I couldn't see a viewing platform when you mentioned the spectacular views, amazing.
Thank you for sharing such an interesting post as well as the picture of the beautiful flowering trees with us at TioT.
Avril xx

Linda Manning Findley said...

Lovely "E" ... never been there but this makes me want to see all those lovely trees in bloom ... as I read this I heard the music in my mind, thanks for a walk down memory lane!

Gillena Cox said...

Great journal pages. Wonderful photos

Have a nice weekend

Much🌻love

Rike said...

I love the beautiful background with the music sheet, the image of the Arch, the blooming trees and the paperdoll on Washi tape! I smiled about the flower hiding the page number :)
Very interesting infos about the arch and wonderful photos!
Wish you a happy weekend! Rike xx

WendyK said...

What lovely cherry blossom trees to illustrate your great page.
Hugs Wendy

Jeanie said...

Your art, your license! I loved going up in the arch when I was there, even though those pods up were a little claustrophic and it didn't help my vertigo -- still, I felt very safe. These are fun pix! And a good memory for me. Looks like loads of fun for you too!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! You can go up this fabulous arch...that is a nice surprise! Your journal spread makes me feel vey happy! Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! I don't suppose I will ever get the chance to see the Statue of Liberty for real but it sounds like our experience when we went to see the Mona Lisa...just like being on a conveyor belt! Hugs, Chrisx