Friday, March 22, 2019

Friday Smiles 313: More Civil War (war between the states) at the World History Museum


I'm sure you can tell, I'm here for Annie's Friday Smiles.   I apologize for missing last Friday, but I had no way of linking, or even creating a post, due to the fact I was once again without internet.  I am not very happy with the photos I took at the Museum of World Treasures.  Most are not all that good.   There were so many people there, and it was so disheartening to try to work around them, while trying to keep out of reflections from glass or plexiglass.  I'll once again begin with a few funnies I found when cleaning out my office last year.

These are actual stories from travel agents:

I had someone ask for an aisle seat on the airplane so that their hair wouldn’t get messed up by being near the window. 

A client called in inquiring about a package to Hawaii. After going over all the cost information, she quipped, “Would it be cheaper to fly to California and then take the train to Hawaii?”

I got a call from a woman who wanted to go to Capetown. I started to explain the length of the flight and the passport information when she interrupted me with “I’m not trying to make you look stupid, but Cape Town is in Massachusetts.” Without trying to make her look like the stupid one, I calmly explained, “Cape Cod is in Massachusetts, Capetown is in Africa.” Her response was “click”.

A man called, furious about a Florida package we did. I asked what was wrong with the vacation in Orlando. He said he was expecting an ocean-view room. I tried to explain that is not possible, since Orlando is in the middle of the state. He replied, “Don’t lie to me. I looked on the map and Florida is a very thin state.”

I got a call from a man who asked, “Is it possible to see England from Canada?” I said, “No.” He said, “But they look so close on the map.”

Another man called and asked if he could rent a car in Dallas. When I pulled up the reservation, I noticed he had a 1-hour lay over in Dallas. When I asked him why he wanted to rent a car, he said, “I heard Dallas was a big airport, and I need a car to drive between the gates to save time.”

A nice lady just called. She needed to know how it was possible that her flight from Detroit left at 8:20am and got into Chicago at 8:33am. I tried to explain that Michigan was an hour ahead of Illinois, but she could not understand the concept of time zones. Finally I told her the plane went very fast, and she bought that!

A woman called and asked, “Do airlines put your physical description on your bag so they know whose luggage belongs to who?” I said, “No, why do you ask?” She replied, “Well, when I checked in with the airline, they put a tag on my luggage that said FAT, and I’m overweight, is there any connection?” After putting her on hold for a minute while “I looked into it,” (I was actually laughing) I came back and explained that the city code for Fresno is FAT, and that the airline was just putting a destination tag on her luggage.

I just got off the phone with a man who asked, “How do I know which plane to get on?” I asked him what exactly he meant, to which he replied, “I was told my flight number is 823, but none of these darn planes have numbers on them.

A woman called and said, “I need to fly to Pepsi-cola on one of those computer planes.” I asked if she meant to fly to Pensacola on a commuter plane. She said, “Yeah, whatever.”

A businessman called and had a question about the documents he needed in order to fly to China. After a lengthy discussion about passports, I reminded him he needed a visa. “Oh no I don’t, I’ve been to China many times and never had to have one of those.” I double-checked and sure enough, his stay required a visa. When I told him this he said, “Look, I’ve been to China four times and every time they have accepted my American Express.”

A woman called to make reservations. “I want to go from Chicago to Hippopotamus, New York.” The agent was at a loss for words. Finally, the agent asked, “Are you sure that’s the name of the town?” “Yes, what flights do you have?” replied the customer. After some searching, the agent came back with, “I’m sorry, ma’am, I’ve looked up every airport code in the country and can’t find a Hippopotamus anywhere.” The customer retorted, “Oh don’t be silly. everyone knows where it is. Check your map!” The agent scoured a map of the state of New York and finally offered, “You don’t mean Buffalo, do you?” “That’s it! I knew it was a big animal!”


Now for a few photos, still in the Civil War area.  Too bad everything is behind glass and lighting interferes with the images.  You will also be able to see how many people were there that day, too.  To say it was a zoo was like calling the Queen Mary a rowboat.

I will let you peruse these photos at your own discretion.  I believe Annie may be interested in the uniforms and some of your husbands may like the guns.






Sea faring paraphernalia from the Civil War.












I hope you found something of interest in the Civil War area.  Next time we will visit a different area of the museum's second floor.

As always, I am grateful for your continued visits.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles, where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

I admire your perseverance at trying to take pics in museums, I rarely bother where there is so much glass! you get a good idea of the exhibits though.

Valerie-Jael said...

I'm afraid war museums are not my taste, but I guess it's interesting for some. Haven't seen you on my blog lately! Valerie

Lynn Holland said...

Oh those travel agent stories ..... they had me rolling over laughing.

RO said...

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when these travel agents were talking. I can just imagine a day filled with lots of laughter. Happy National Goof Off Day! Hugs...RO

Annie said...

I had a good giggle at the travel agent stories. Shame the glass spoilt so many of your photos.
Hugs,
Annie x

froebelsternchen said...




Thank you for all the interesting pics of this civil war area of the museum. This exhibit is great - loved the box of the different spurs.
Were they all so exellent riders or were they just brutal to horses at those days? That would be intersting to know.

Liked the air traffic funnies !
And I just had to shake my head about a special comment here further up - unbelievable...LOL!
Happy Friday Dr.E.!

Big hugs Susi

Meggymay said...

Another really interesting museum visit Elizabeth and you got great photos despite the difficulties of the glass and the folk around the rooms.
I loved the quips and smiles, maybe you may guess that the one that appealed to me was about being able to see England from Canada.
Have a good Friday.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Your Friday Funnies made me giggle. Especially Hippopotamus for Buffalo. Interesting tour around the museum, too.

kathyinozarks said...

great funnies-sometimes I wonder about how people think lol
I love anything about the civil war-and this museum is amazing-you did good getting the photos even around people and the glass cases-thanks for sharing Happy Friday

Caty said...

You made me smile today Elizabeth !! So funny these stories about travellers :)
I like very much your photographs from the civil war, thanks so much for sharing them with us.
I wish you a very nice day, and seng big hugs,
Caty

My name is Erika. said...

This museum looks really cool to me. Kansas was a battlestate over abolition, if I am remembering my history correct. I like how there are exhibits to both sides and some interesting pieces. I also got a good laugh over the Friday travel jokes. And I guess in my downer mood lately I read your last post in the wrong way. Yup, the view from the Arch is amazing compared to the Statue of Liberty. But they are both cool symbols of different parts of our history, which I am sure you know. Thanks for the explanation. I think the world has been zipping by me lately with me looking out in a fog. Smile. Happy Friday. hugs-Erika

Mia said...

I always enjoy your photos from the museums you visit, Elizabeth. Thank you for sharing. Kisses, my friend.

Divers and Sundry said...

Ah, the "Recent Unpleasantness". Many people don't realize how much sea/river involvement there was in this war. There was a battle in the Mississippi River here in Memphis. I'm enjoying your museum photos. It's hard to get photos through glass, and you did a good job :)

Lisca said...

Oh I laughed so much at those travel agent funnies.I can well believe they all really happened.
Another interesting visit to the museum. No, I didn't know either that the Civil War was also fought on water. Interesting.
I wonder what they used the battle rattle for. I know they make a lot of noise.
Yes, I do miss Precious. I miss another presence in the house. I miss his miauwing as soon as I put the key in the door. I miss seeing him lying in front of the fireplace.
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca

mamapez5 said...

It must be fun to be a travel agent if they get calls like that.
Well done for persevering with the photos. It's so difficult when everything is behind glass. I can't say that war museums are my thing, but it is good to see a museum being so well supported. Kate x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Loving the photos but will have to pop back to read the funnies as I have to do the packing ready to go home tomorrow. It was January when we last went skiing but the time just goes so quickly. The weather has been very sunny but the snow is good as we are higher up this time.
Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Sami said...

I had a good laugh at this weeks' funnies Elizabeth, they really are precious :)

Jeanie said...

I needed some good funnies today and I got 'em! YAY! A smile for a change.

And I find this museum really interesting. So glad blogging takes us places we might not otherwise see.

Thanks for your visits. I am behind from our trip, Rick's accident and all. I appreciate all your comments.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ha! Ha! Some excellent funnies! I love to peruse the exhibits on your museum visits, even if they are behind glass! Hugs, Chrisx