Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Trust rust


I had planned to play in WOYWW today, but it took me until late Sunday to visit every person last week.  Because I'm still not feeling well, I didn't want to get that far behind again.  Instead, I decided to join Chris of Pear Shaped Crafting, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.   Her theme is Art for art's sake.

Today I'm placing my trust in rust.

Although I hate my handwriting, I'm trying to use it more often in my art.

There are several techniques in this journal entry, the first of which is this beautifully rusted lid and slightly rusted pipe fitting that are paired with a rusty heart and a piece of rusted book page.

Note the background, though.  I started with a map of a room that I glued to my substrate, an 8.5 X 11" sheet of heavy card stock.

Then I added some fluid acrylics that look like or remind me of rust.   For my next step, which you can't see unless you look at the entire piece, I soaked the entire piece, minus the rusty assemblage of course, in dark coffee.

Finally, I ripped off part of the overlapping piece I had glued to the substrate.

Only a small portion of the map remained once I ripped it away.  Lastly, I added the rusty assemblage.

Materials used include fluid acrylics, liquid coffee, a metallic gel pen, a heart created from a Yahtzee score sheet, a room map, and a rusty assemblage described above.

I am once again grateful and deeply touched that you chose to visit.  I also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey 

26 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful, rusty piece. Have a great day, Valerie

Helen said...

great rusty project!

johanna said...

thumbs up, wonderful assemblage!

Love Affair with Food said...

I like this! Looks beautiful!

Gibby Frogett said...

I'm a steampunk addict so you know I'm going to really love anything you do with rust Elizabeth and I love LOVE this!
So happy to see close up photos and all the glorious details :)
Sorry to hear your are not feeling so good at present- take care - and hope you are feeling better soon.
Gill xx

kaybee said...

Love rusty things, I love the background too. Great composition. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I adore seeing hand written words, there is something romantic about seeing how the words flow and believe we must keep this great creation alive, as I fear in time it will become a thing of the past. As I type on this keyboard I would much rather be writing it to you with pen and ink.
Rust is a unique creation and I love everything about you sweet artistic piece Elizabeth.
Wishing you well and hope you are soon back on top form very soon.
Creative Wishes Tracey xx

CJ Kennedy said...

I'm glad to see you embracing hand lettering. Fonts are wonderful, some of them truly beautiful, but they are static. There is so much life behind hand lettering. Your Trust Rust page is awesome. I would never have considered rust to be art worthy, but you've changed my opinion

froebelsternchen said...

The assemblage on this page is simply amazing! A fantastic page for AJJ dear Elizabeth! Thank you! It shows your love of rust in a fantastic way!
Get well soon my friend without overstraining yourself!
Thank you for all the support to Chris' theme again!
Big hugs, Susi

Nancy said...

Love the look of this. The background is perfect for the assemblage. hope you feel better.

craftytrog said...

Wow! I love that rusty assemblage, and it's a wonderful background too! Great page Elizabeth, even the hand-writing!
Hope you're fully recovered soon!
Alison xxx

Cindy McMath said...

Elizabeth this is gorgeous! I hope you feel 100% soon!

My name is Erika. said...

Those fluid acrylics do look like rust. And I love the heart with the rusty design. Very nice-and your handwriting is like mine, I hate it but it really isn't all that bad-at least I think so. I've been told a million times at least how illegible mine is so that might be a reason why I dislike it so much. Have a great Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the texture :) I trust you'll like your handwriting more as you include more of it in your work. I think it adds a lot.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a stunning rusty page - I love it! The background effect is amazing and I love the pieces that you layered to make the rusty assemblage - beautiful 😁. I hope you are feeling much better soon and wishing you a lovely week! J 😊 x

Dianne said...

oh my gosh, I Love this! beautiful background and stunning combination of sculptural assemblage ♥ so sorry you're still struggling with illness...do take it easy as you can dear friend! hugs from Ohio ♥

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Love this rusty art! It all works together so well. Hope you are feeling much better by now.

kathyinozarks said...

wow Elizabeth-this is an amazing art piece-I really love it I think this piece needs to be framed for sure-hugs
excited to be paired up with you for atc swap hugs
Have a great day-and wow we got rain and a cool down this morning so far-amazing and feels so good to be in the 70s and not the high 90s-which will return tomorrow I'm sure

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Wow! This is my new favourite Elizabeth! I love that rusty assemblage in the centre, the coffee stained paper and to me - your lovely handwriting - I really would love to see more! Thank you so, so much for making this for Art For Arts Sake and Art Journal Journey! Hugs, Chrisx

Meggymay said...

WOW, I love your rusty page, your center piece looks amazing and so does the great background.
I hope you are feeling a bit better now.
Yvonne xx

Birgit said...

Love what you did with the rust and the heart is great. Your handwriting is good! I hope you are feeling better

Sandra Cox said...

This piece is awesome! Love it.
I hope you're feeling better soon.

Jeannette said...

fantastic steampunk project,love the rust soft backround with the rust heart in the middle,very beautiful,love it!
wishing you a nice day.

hugs jenny

Little Artbee said...

A very good piece of artwork dear Elizabeth. I like the composition of rusty material in the center. I hope you will feel better soon. Send you love and light and healing energy.
Thanks for your sweet comment at my Blog.
Big Hugs
Sabine

Jeanie said...

You do rust better than anyone I know. I really love this piece. It has such texture and I love the colors. It looks like autumn to me.

I really do hope you are feeling better soon. You've been under par quite awhile. I'm catching up, slow but sure, from non-internet times but thanks for your visits. I'm so glad the kids were able to stay with you. I really admire the supportive influence you have been in their lives and I know they will value that love and support forever.

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

This is absolutely fabulous, Elizabeth! Your writing is fine. It gives the page meaning. That's makes it more to me than just a pretty page. Hugs, Eileen (better late than never?)