Friday, June 22, 2018

Friday Smiles 277: a visit to the Coutts Museum


Today we are visiting the Coutts Museum of Art.  I don't know anyone who wouldn't smile at these horses that flank the columns leading to the interior of this museum.  Also in front of the museum is the sculpture "Tell Me About It" by local artist Frank Jensen.

In the alley way on the north side of the museum is Sculpture Alley, featuring a tile mosaic mural by Phil Epp and Terry Corbett, bronze statues "His Brand" by Gene V. Williams and "In Flight" by Jim Brothers.

All of these, including Jensen's sculpture in front of the museum, are part of the El Dorado Main Street Artscape Public Sculpture Program.  One of the things the Coutts Museum is famous for, is its support of work by local artists.  Coutts provides several impressive art scholarships each year for deserving local artists.

Does the name Phil Epp ring a bell?

If you have visited my blog for any length of time, you will remember this sculpture by Epp I found in another city a few years ago.  I've seen it twice, once by myself, and once when I took my friend Sally.

Back at the Coutts, we began with "local" art created by children who visited the museum.  What a fun way to turn a paper plate and a hand print into a work of art!  If only I were so gifted.

We were then treated to what I consider sums up this museum.  Truly some lovely art, but eclectic.  Vintage furniture (in this case, a lovely grandfather clock) sits next to a modern silver sculpture, which leads to a lovely painting, possibly by Eva Makk.

 


More eclectic art.  So many periods, so much to ponder.

No need to ponder this work.  This is a Remington, and Coutts Museum boasts one of the largest collection of Frederic Remington bronzes in the U.S. Midwest.


  


In addition to the various Remington bronzes, 

there are also a few by Charles M. Russell

(another Russell)

and Frank Tenny Hoffman sculptures.  That led to my favorite area. 

I fell in love with the planes, 


more planes, 

trains,

and automobiles.

Surely one of these paintings 

will put a smile on your face
 

as it finally did my foodie friend Sally's.

Thanks for joining me today at this museum, and thanks for your continued visits.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles, where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

They have an impressive collection of artifacts at the museum, my faves today were the bronzes and furniture, and of course, Sally looking happy. Have a great Friday, Valerie

Annie said...

Thanks for a peek into your wonderful museum/art gallery. What wonderful paintings and sculptures.
Hugs,
Annie x

Sami said...

I like that Epp outdoor sculpture. An interesting visit to your museum Elizabeth. Have a lovely weekend.

RO said...

I adore the outside mosaic, which looks excellently maintained,and Sally's smile makes me smile too! Hugs and Happy Friday! RO

craftytrog said...

A great visit to the museum Elizabeth! I love the sculptures, and Sally's smile!

Divers and Sundry said...

Museums always put a smile on my face :) and this one has such eclectic offerings! I love the variety. The focus on local artists appeals to me, and their scholarship program is admirable.

froebelsternchen said...

Wonderful artefacts at that super museum! WOW!!! Stunning pieces ! Thank you for taking me with you to this interesting place and the convulsive grin of Sally is just unique! She looks like she is fit to drop --lol!


Happy Friday dear Elizabeth!
Hugs, Susi

Caty said...

Thank you very much for sharing with us these wonderful photos of the museum, I like them, like the paintings, sculptures too, fabulous day with Sally.
I wish you a very happy weekend, big hugss, Caty

Dianne said...

A most enjoyable visit with many of my most favorite things! Paintings, sculptures, old furniture, pottery, folk art...it's all beautiful! Especially the pumpkins♥ Sally looks pretty happy to have found a chair to rest in. ;)

I attempted to link up with Friday Smiles, but for some reason the mr. Linky wouldn't accept my link, even when I checked the box. (sigh) I couldn't figure it out...but not a big deal. leave me a comment if you have any ideas.

hugs, and stay cool!

kathyinozarks said...

Wow what a fabulous day at the museum. thank you so much for sharing with us. I especially loved the outdoor sculptors and the bronze pieces indoors-I have never gotten to see those in person.
definatly had me smiling Happy Friday

Let's Art Journal said...

What a fabulous museum! I loved seeing all the artwork and those paintings definately put a smile on my face and the before and after photos of Sally made me smile too - perfect...lol 😉. It's great that the museum supports local artists too and I love the EPP sculptures - so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your trip to the museum and wishing you a great weekend! J 😊 x

Meggymay said...

Wow, this looks an amazing place to visit. I loved many of the pieces you shared in these photos, the bronze sculptures, car pictures even the plates the children decorated. The biggest smile is for Sally she looks so happy in her photo today.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

That is cool museum. It is so eclectic. And has a pretty amazing collection too. Looks like you had a great day out and I hope we get to see some more. I enjoyed the Remingtons and the furniture. But really, it was all good. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Interesting art. I especially loved the volkswagon painting with the sun glaring off the hood--LOL! :)

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Hi Elizabeth I managed to link over for Dianne. Not sure why she or even Annie couldnt!!
Wonderful collection of images you've shared.. and love the smiles all around.
Especially Sally's 😁
Hugs Shaz in Oz.x #4

Anonymous said...

Amazing bronzes inside and fab public art outside. xox

Jeanie said...

This looks like a beautiful museum with a wonderful collection, inside and out. I appreciate its diversity.

pearshapedcrafting said...

It looks to have a great collection! Love Sally's smile....and also love (very much) the Phil Epp skies! I remember taking a look at his work last time you showed this and went back today for another drool! Hugs, Chrisx