Thursday, April 19, 2018

Ode to a purple butterfly


I'm once again joining Alison/Craftytrog, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is recycle and collage.  And because it is nature inspired, I am also linking to my friends at Try it on Tuesday, whose theme is nature's beauty

This is an entry for my large art journal.  I had to turn it sideways, though, so I could get everything on the page,

This Irish blessing seemed to fit the focal image I chose.

In case you can't read it:
May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun
And find your shoulder to light on,
To bring you luck, happiness and riches
Today, tomorrow and beyond.
          ~Irish Blessing
I'm having a bit of tension problems, so my sewing, always wonky and never straight, took an even bigger hit when I added all these recycled pieces to the mix.

I was trying to pair all my colors together,

in order to highlight the purple butterfly.

The tension problem is obvious in this photo.

This would have been a beautiful postage stamp if the PO hadn't forced the envelope crooked through the automated stamper.  Of course, it just makes my wonky stitching more noticeable.

For this journal page, I started with a used sheet of bright pink computer paper.  I added part of a calendar page and the computer generated sentiment I colored with watercolor crayons and backed with part of a sheet of used lavender computer paper.   To the right side of the page, I sewed more of the lavender computer paper, a sliver of card stock that had been part of an address label, a security envelope, a piece of corrugated cardboard, and a piece of pale pink computer paper.  On top of that, I added the postage stamp I left attached to part of the envelope.

This is Day 19 of 22 days leading to bEARTHday.  I recycled everything on the page except the variegated thread, which took the place of glue.

Thank you beyond belief for taking time to visit with me today.  You have no idea how grateful I am that you dropped by.   Today, you will also find me at Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesday.  Hope to see you both places, too.

24 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

The butterfly is beautiful. Sewing is often difficult over so many layers. Thanks for joining us again at TIOT. Have a nice day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

This is AMAZING Elizabeth! You mastered the different layers perfect with the sewing - I can't see any problems! I love the page and I love the quote and your entry for TioT and AJJ makes my day bright and happy!
Thank you my friend!
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs, Susi

Marjut said...

Your page is so beautiful. Thank you for joining us at TioT.

kaybee said...

Love all the layering, and I've always been fond of stitches, even though I haven't tried stitching myself! Love all the colours and that quote too. Perfect!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such an amazing butterfly! The layers and stitching add such lovely texture and I'm loving the Irish Blessing you added too - beautiful 😀. Thanks so much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday! J 😊 x

My name is Erika. said...

I don't know what is the best part of this page. Nice blessing andthe I adore the grungy stitched papers on the side. Actually I like the whole page. :) It's a great page overall. And thanks for your well wishes. have a super bearthday! Hugs-Erika

Sami said...

Lovely page and quote Elizabeth.
Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog too, really appreciated.

kathyinozarks said...

good morning This page is really beautiful I really love all of the layering and that wonky stitching fits right it.

Nancy said...

Love the Irish blessing you chose. And wonky stitching works. Though I understand your frustration with the tension- wish I could offer some help, but every machine is different. The one thing you might try is putting a heavier thread in your bobbin and lighter weight one in the top so it's harder for the machine to pull the bobbin thread up. Might be worth a try.

CJ Kennedy said...

I don't notice what you call wonky stitching. The focus is the beautiful butterfly. I can barely sew on buttons so your sewing skills are to be admired. I haven't heard that particular Irish blessing, and it goes so beautifully with your butterfly and the palette of colors you chose.

Sandra Cox said...

This is just beautiful, Elizabeth.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love how you manage to re-use/recycle and make such lovely art. I'm ready for butterfly season and appreciate this hint of summertime :)

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth, I see nothing wrong with your stitching.....trooth as da tabbies say, and this piece is really pretty; I especially like the saying !! ☺☺♥♥

Meggymay said...

The butterfly is a gorgeous colour, I love how you used it on this page with all the other additions. The wonky stitching looks good as well.
Thank you for joining our new theme over at TioT's with your wonderful page.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh yes! Natures Beauty at its best! Thank you so much for this lovely entry at TIOT! We have tales to tell when we get back .....stinking colds, car chases and crash outside the hotel in London, rail strikes here in Paris and its only Thursday! Weather is almost too hot after the last few weeks!!! Garn! Didn't mean to moan...we are having a great time and Kew was fabulous as was the Lion King!!!Hugs,Chrisx

Rita said...

What a beautiful butterfly. Loved the quote. :)

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful love butterflies and this quote is perfect.x 💖 [Aussie aNNie's Blog]

Jeannette said...

beautiful page with the wonderful butterfly and the stichting looks so amazing,the irish qoute is beautiful too,love all your pages this month,the theme recycling rocks,isn it?!
wish you a nice rest of the week,and sunny weekend,my friend.


hugs jenny

Jeanie said...

I think you did a terrific job pulling the colors together. The butterfly pops. And I love the fabric/stitching. It sets everything off so well.

Lenie said...

Wow! I love this page! The butterfly and the beautiful Irish blessing.
I am sure I will use these words. My calender has a picture from a purple butterfly in June. So I know what I'm going to do with it. Thank you for the inspiration. I don't use it for art journal journey 😀

Birgit said...

I love that poem which goes so well the beautiful page you created and nothing say Joy of Life as a butterfly

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Another lovely page, Elizabeth. I haven't heard that Irish blessing before. There are so many - at least one for every occasion it seems. I love 'em.

I used to wonder how you found time to accomplish all that you do: journal pages and posts almost every day, visiting all your blog friends so faithfully, organizing/hosting a bunch of regular link-up events, and still finding time to spend out with friends and step up whenever needed. Now that I know you only sleep four hours a day, I can understand a little. But I still think you're amazing :D

Joan said...

Stunning butterfly and a lovely journal page

Thanks for joining in at Try It On Tuesday Challenge
Joan

craftytrog said...

Fabulous elements, I love the butterfly and the stitching Elizabeth!
Happy Sunday,
Alison xxx