Friday, March 23, 2018

Friday Smiles 264: More Kansas Oil and Gas Museum


Once again, I'm starting with a few jokes, quotes, and laughs I found while cleaning my office a few months ago.  I'm sure you are aware I'm here for Annie's Friday Smiles.

At Duke University, there were four sophomores taking Organic Chemistry. They were doing so well on all the quizzes, midterms and labs, etc., that each had an "A" so far for the semester.

These four friends were so confident that the weekend before finals, they decided to go up to the University of Virginia and party with some friends there. They had a great time, but after all the hearty partying, they slept all day Sunday and didn't make it back to Duke until early Monday morning.

Rather than taking the final then, they decided to find their professor after the final and explain to him why they missed it. They explained that they had gone to UVA for the weekend with the plan to come back in time to study, but, unfortunately, they had a flat tire on the way back, didn't have a spare, and couldn't get help for a long time. As a result, they missed the final.

The professor thought it over and then agreed they could make up the final the following day. The guys were elated and relieved. They studied that night and went in the next day at the time the professor had told them. He placed them in separate rooms and handed each of them a test booklet, and told them to begin.

They looked at the first problem, worth five points. It was something simple about free radical formation. "Cool," they thought at the same time, each one in his separate room, "this is going to be easy." Each finished the problem and then turned the page.

On the second page was written: (For 95 points): Which tire?



Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"

Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside!"



A pilot is flying a small, single-engine, charter plane with a couple of really important executives on board into Seattle airport. There is fog so thick that visibility is 40 feet, and his instruments are out. He circles looking for a landmark and after an hour, he is low on fuel and his passengers are very nervous.

At last, through a small opening in the fog he sees a tall building with one guy working alone on the fifth floor. Circling, the pilot banks and shouts through his open window: "Hey, where am I?" The solitary office worker replies: "You're in an airplane."  The pilot immediately executes a swift 275 degree turn and executes a perfect blind landing on the airport's runway five miles away. Just as the plane stops, the engines cough and die from lack of fuel. The stunned passengers ask the pilot how he did it.

"Elementary," replies the pilot, "I asked the guy in that building a simple question. The answer he gave me was 100% correct but absolutely useless; therefore, I knew that must be Microsoft's Support Office and from there the airport is three minutes away on a course of 87 degrees."



My son is so lazy he won’t empty the trash in the computer recycle bin!



A man was in his front yard mowing grass when his beautiful, blond, female neighbor came out of the house and went straight to the mailbox.

She opened it, looked inside, slammed it shut, and stormed back into her house.

A little later she came out of her house again, went to the mailbox, again opened it, and slammed it shut again. Angrily, back into the house she went.

As the man was getting ready to edge the lawn, here she came again. She marched to the mailbox, opened it and then slammed it closed harder than ever.

Puzzled by her actions, the man asked her, "Is something wrong?"

To which she replied, "There certainly is! My stupid computer keeps telling me I've got mail!"



A lawyer was on his deathbed in his bedroom, and he called to his wife.

She rushed in and said, "What is it, honey?"

He told her to run and get the bible as soon as possible. Being a religious woman, she thought this was a good idea. She ran and got it, prepared to read him his favorite verse or something of the sort.

He snatched it from her and began quickly scanning pages, his eyes darting right and left.

The wife was curious, so she asked, "What are you doing, honey?"

"I'm looking for loopholes!" he shouted.



I hope you found some of these funny.  I did!  Now let's return to

the Kansas Oil Museum.  I was surprised there was so much interest in this museum, so will finish sharing it.

There was a little something for everyone, including history.

Several of my European friends told me they were only familiar with offshore drilling, so I thought this was a good way to show how oil is captured here in Kansas.

I'm always in awe of models.


I'm rather fond of neon, too.


I was really impressed with the ship, but failed to get a close photo of it.


What a typical oil field would look like back in the day.  These rigs no longer pump much oil, because they are mostly dried up.



The El Dorado oil refinery.   It is pronounce El DOUGH RAY' DOUGH.






Tools of the trade.






Cable tools and bits.

Pipe to fit into the holes.

I hope you have enjoyed this look at some of this really unique museum. 

Next time we will head outside and see a real sized well and other goodies at this huge museum.

Thanks for joining me today and thanks for your continued visits.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles, where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's.

20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Very interesting photos from the museum, it seems to be huge! Have a fun Friday, hugs, Valerie

Dortesjs said...

interesting post this

Annie said...

Brilliant funnies this week Elizabeth. Some really interesting bits in your museum and I couldn’t fail to miss the man with green fingers...they were obviously good with plants too 😂😂😂😂 Not sure what the three big metal rings with handles are for but I bet you could blow some amazing bubbles with them. 😂😂😂
Thanks for joining in.
Hugs,
Annie x

froebelsternchen said...

Loved the jokes and this museum is so very interesting - WOW ! I am impressed!
Happy Friday my dear Co.- Admin, hope you feel better !
oxo Susi

My name is Erika. said...

I told you last week I didn't know about Wichita being an oil capital, and now I am surprised that there is that much drilling in Kansas. It makes sense when I think about it, but I guess I associate Kansas more with farming. I enjoyed my visit today. Thanks for taking us back. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

I'll have to tell Himself the chemistry joke. The museum is very fascinating. I think it was in CA many, many years ago, I saw the oil pumps in action. They remind me of the drinking birds that were popular an equal number of years ago.

When they were drilling a second well for water here at the dollhouse, they had to go through bedrock and broke one of the diamond drill bits!

I hope you're feeling better and your Internet and keyboard are feeling better, too.

Gill Edwards said...

I like the WW1 exhibit, i've been fascinated by that for many years. There seems to be a lot to see at the museum, does it cost to visit?

have a great week
Gill

Lynn Holland said...

Bet my welder of a husband could tell those chaps a tale or two and compare notes.
Have a super weekend
Lynn x

Jeanie said...

I never really had thought of an oil museum being so interesting but when you think about it, learning about it is learning about something that affects all of us in a daily way -- and pretty darned important one too. I love the photos you shared -- it looks fascinating and really makes one think what really goes on before we go to the pump!

Thanks for coming to the blog -- I know what you mean about the geese. I like them on the pond and they are pretty. But up at the lake, the second they come on the beach we are shooing them off like crazy! Very messy birds, those geese are! Fortunately, they don't seem to hang out in the neighborhood much -- just on the water (although I'm sure the golf course across the street hates them!).

But I do love the deer and ducks and can't wait till we can take Baby Grand down there!

Let's Art Journal said...

Wonderful funnies this week ...lol 😉. I enjoyed visiting the museum, there is so much to see and it's so informative too 😁. Wishing you a Happy Friday and have a wonderful weekend! J 😊

Sami said...

What an interesting visit to the Oil Museum Elizabeth.
Loved the jokes, the first one was tops!
Hope you're feeling better, have a great weekend.

Gill Edwards said...

I am so glad to hear you say that it took you ages to name Bleubeard. Most of my pets have been fairly easy to name. My very first hamster was called Scrabble after the noise he made in the carrier on the way back from the pet shop and another hamster I called Beano because he was an albino pink eyed white.
I will just have to be patient and wait for him to display something.

Gill

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Once again I must say I enjoyed your photos but even more loved the funnies! Have a great weekend too, Angela xXx

Meggymay said...

Super funnies this week, the first one had me grinning. I wonder if the students had all got their stories to match up.
The photos were all interesting,
I'm looking forward to seeing the full size exhibits next time.
Yvonne xx

Marfi-topia said...

love that first joke so much! lol!!!
what an interesting display at the museum, thank you for sharing:)

aussie aNNie said...

That's one museum, love to visit that for sure.
Jokes, well they crack me up...have a lovely weekend.xx💖 [Aussie aNNie's Blog]

Rike said...

The jokes are funny - and I learned a few words more of English by asking the dictionary :)
This Kansas Oil Museum is really very interesting! My eyecatcher was the lorry in one of the photos, because it looks like that small green one I had as child - out of plastic.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating place, would love to see this exhibit. We were brought over to Norway once in our business and went to the Petroleum Museum in Stavanger. Amazing place...large models of an oil rig, truly wonderful. xox

mamapez5 said...

An interesting tour of the museum again. You capture some very good photos as you go around.
Your funnies had me smiling especially the first one. Kate x

Divers and Sundry said...

You got great photos! I'm glad they let you take pictures of the exhibits. Some places haven't changed their policies in light of cameras that don't require a flash, and I'm proud of y'all's museum for having joined the modern era.

That museum has done a thorough job. Fascinating!