Monday, February 12, 2018

T Stands For Mardi Gras


This is a very long post and I got a bit carried away.

Today we celebrate Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday, or Shrove Tuesday.  It is the decadent day before Catholics and a few Protestant Churches celebrate Lent, the 40 days of fasting that begins on Ash Wednesday in commemoration of the forty days Jesus spent fasting in the desert.

Depending on the individual church and customs, it ends at sundown on Holy Saturday or on the morning of Easter Sunday.


Traditional colors for this event are green, purple, and gold.

Unfortunately, I didn't like how the images scanned,

so I took a couple photos, too.

I began by laying down both green and purple acrylic paint in my large art journal.  Then I found the two Mardi Gras mask images and cut them out.  I attached them to the page, then framed them with gold washi tape.  Afterward, I added the hand written words using green, purple, and gold gel pens, and the feather, which I messed up when I tried to glue it to the page.

Where better to celebrate Mardi Gras than in New Orleans.  It is sometimes abbreviated NOLA.  The one in New Orleans, Louisiana (a city that sits at the mouth of the Mississippi) is considered one of the longest.  Mardi Gras stretches the entire period from Twelfth Night (the last night of Christmas which begins Epiphany) to Ash Wednesday.

Not long after I graduated high school, I was enrolled in classes at a Community College and working full time.  When I learned Spring Break and Mardi Gras were occurring at the same time, I took a week's vacation and headed to New Orleans.

I had heard of Antoine's Restaurant, and decided to go there for dinner.  I made the reservation the first day I arrived in New Orleans, and it was a good thing I did, because

it took another two days before they could give me a dinner reservation.  That's how solid they are booked, especially during Mardi Gras celebrations.  And because I was requesting a single reservation, I'm sure that didn't help me advance on their list.   ALL PHOTOS are from the Internet, because I can't find mine, which are stored in my wet basement.

Although it was the early 1980s and my memory is a bit fuzzy, I believe this is the room I was seated in,

which is the first room in the building.  This will be my drink for this event, even though I would probably not drink Perrier.  In fact, I am not sure I was even aware of bottled water (although I was familiar with mineral and sparkling waters) until the early 1990s, when it came on the scene and made a big splash (pun intended) about the same time coffee bars sprung up all over the country.

There were other rooms, too and


I remember walking through them before I left.

I also found their menu on the Internet.

This is the cover.

It was a large menu and this is their opening, although when I was there, there were no social media sites, and no public Internet, either.

I know you all want to know about the drinks, or you might not be here.   I remember it was the first time I had French Roast coffee and it's when I fell in love with the dark, husky brew.  Did anyone notice the Pimm's Cup?  I bet Jo did!




 



I apologize that some of these pages are redundant, but they were taken by different patrons and I was hoping you might be able to make out a menu item better in one photo than another.  Although  I don't see it on the menu, I was sure I had a shrimp dish.  Please note that everything is ala carte, as is the case in most high end restaurants.

I hope you enjoyed this trip (thanks to the internet and my memories of the event) to Antoine's in New Orleans as we celebrate Mardi Gras today.

By now, I'm sure most of you know the drill.  It's your turn to share a drink related post.  It can be photos, a place you visited, movies, postcards, books, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, tags, teabags, teapots, cups and saucers, mugs, scrapbooking, or any other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, as long as it in some way relates back to a drink, any drink. Regardless, please share below and Bleubeard and I, along with the rest of the T gang will be by to visit.  Old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time.




32 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Here in Germany people are celebrating carnival just now, so lots of masks, costumes, celebrations and parades here. That looks like a great place you visited in New Orleans, must have been nice dining there. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

johanna said...

so nice to follow your memories... must have been very impressive!
some regions here also celebrate carnival with parades and costumes...
happy t-day, elizabeth!

kathyinozarks said...

I really enjoyed your post-good memories you had. Looks like a very neat restaurant with a huge menu too. A beautiful place
I have never been to that area of the country-and I totally forgot about Mardi Gras thanks Kathy

Dianne said...

a shrimp dish would be my choice too...this place looks very elegant, and probably a bit above my price range. I guess I am more of a "seafood dive place" kinda gal! ;) we didn't make it to the Mardi Gras parade near our vacation spot this year. Thick fog descended, and then rain. Just seemed like more trouble than it was worth. I have been wanting to try 'King Cake' but every year I look at the calories and the sugar content and decide I'd better not buy one!!thanks for taking us to NOLA this Tea Tuesday!

CJ Kennedy said...

The nuns never told us pre-Lent began on 12th night up through Shrove Tuesday. I always wondered why you had to eat all the goodies all on Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Face palm! Now it makes sense :-D

I've never been to NOLA and all I can say about Antoine's is Oh, my! How very haute! Everything on the menu looks so good. I noticed the Pimm's cup and thought that sounds refreshing, but then I saw the Champagne Cocktail. I used to drink Perrier with lime. Haven't had that in a long time. Might have to see if Perrier is available next time Himself and I go out to dinner. The menu choices are divine, the desserts are all mouthwatering and the prices. Oooh-la-la. Thank you for the trip to Antoine's. Happy T Day!

Kate Yetter said...

The images of those masks are beautiful! I always wanted a collection of masquerade masks but have yet to start on one. I have heard New Orleans is lovely and I would love to visit sometime. It sounds like you have wonderful memories! I enjoyed seeing the inside of the restaurant and that beautiful menu.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

pearshapedcrafting said...

Antonines must have been quite place to go over Mardi Gras. We call it Pancake Day here and some places hold pancake flipping races - but definitely not a carnival atmosphere! I certainly looks a grand place to eat!
New Orleans always looks so wonderful in films - I'm sure it must have been a fabulous experience for you ! Happy T Day! Chrisx

pearshapedcrafting said...

That's 'It' looks a great place to eat!!! Getting close to bedtime!!! x

Linda Kunsman said...

Oh what a fabulous looking restaurant to treat yourself to. A bit pricey yes, but so long as the food is good...:) Love the classy looking interior too. And your Mardi Gras art sure does reflect on the holiday. Thanks for sharing and happy T day!

Carol said...

Beautiful Mardi Gras photos. I have never had a desire to go to New Orleans for the celebration. I just don't do well in large crowds...never did. Even concerts can be difficult for me at times. The restaurant does look lovely ♥ and the colors of Mardi Gras are always beautiful.
Thanks for sharing~~~
Carol

My name is Erika. said...

That was an enjoyable little journey. I didn't realize today was Fat Tuesday. Mardi Gras would be fun to attend. I've been to NOLA and it was pretty crazy even though it wasn't Mardi Gras. We had some great food when we were there but I don't think we went to Antoine's. So what was Mardi Gras like? Did you go to any parades? Maybe you'll share another post about your big adventure back when you were a college student. Happy Fat T day. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Colorful!
The restaurant looks fancy. :)

Jeanie said...

I wondered what you would come up with for Mardi Gras -- very nice and fun piece.

And I really enjoyed seeing your photos of New Orleans. Looks like a fabulous restaurant. I have only been there once and ages ago. I'd love to go again. I love the facade with the wrought iron!

Sharon Madson said...

Love your post today! I had forgotten about Mardi Gras! Your artwork is gorgeous. Love the memories of New Orleans. I have been there a couple of times, but fifty years ago! LOL My first trip was right after H.S. graduation. I am pretty sure I ate at Antoine's, too, but my memory fails me. And I don't think I had any photos, or they are misplaced in my boxes and boxes of photos! Thanks again Elizabeth for hosting T Stands for Tuesday.
So fun!

Rike said...

This is a wonderful and very interesting post today, thank you so much! I enjoyed the photos of your beautiful Mardi Gras page (I like the glittering gold frames) and enjoyed the many photos of Antoine's in New Orleans! Great memories for you of such a special place!
Happy T-Day!
Rike x

Mascha said...

Nice sites and wow, what great memories! A movie for your soul...
So lovely menue cards and famous restaurant!
I my area of Germany mardi gras or karneval is not an big issue.
Happy mardi gras :)

Meggymay said...

Your page to celebrate Mardi Gras looks fabulous with all the bright masks, they are gorgeous colours.
The memories and photos you shared were good to read. The restaurant looks very 'posh', the kind that have a few Michelin stars to their name, but lovely for a special treat. I think you would be well looked after, when dining there.
Happy T day wishes Elizabeth.
Yvonne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

I love New Orleans and Wow, it must have been wonderful to visit when Mardi Gras was on 😁. The restaurant looks lovely and I enjoyed looking through the menu too, there's so much choice I don't know what to have ...lol 😉. Your page looks beautiful with the pretty masks and glittery gold washi tape - perfect! Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊

Lisca said...

That certainly is a beautiful restaurant. Definitely for a special occasion looking at the menu and prices. You were lucky to get a table there. Well done you. And now it is a precious memory that nobody can take away with you.
New Orleans has had bad flooding with the hurricane a few years ago. Is that restaurant still standing?
Here in our village they have celebrated carnaval over the past weekend. The children dress in fancy dress costumes and there is a procession. In the evening there is a similar thing for adults and a big party and also a competition on the best or most original costume. I have never participated as it's not my thing really. (and I'm not a catholic).
As you have seen, I have not been able to write a proper blog post. My apologies. Better luck next time. I must get into the habit of writing my blog a couple of days in advance, so I can write it on my desktop computer at home without having to rely on an old decrepid laptop at our weekend home. Trouble is, our Sundays are really busy, and we leave on Monday.Ah well....
Thank you for showing us your beautiful masks and taking us to that very posh reastaurant. I enjoyed it.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

RO said...

I am madly in love with your Mardi Gras artwork, Elizabeth! So elegant and colorful. I really like that you show me so many new things and places. I've visited New Orleans, but didn't see this restaurant. Of course, I was a kid and didn't focus on the classy things, like I should have. Now this is a restaurant I would definitely love to visit even though there isn't a cheeseburger in sight. (lol) HUGE Hugs...RO

craftytrog said...

I adore your Mardi-Gras art Elizabeth, wonderful colours, & those masks are gorgeous!
And that old restaurant is fabulous! My kinda menu...I'd love to visit!
Happy T-Day!
Alison xox

froebelsternchen said...

I really enjoyed this trip and your memories of the event. Nice for me to celebrate Mardi Gras today with you at Antoine's in New Orleans. Your page is so well designed !
We call today "Faschings - Dienstag"( Carniaval-Tuesday) here and my daughter will join a Mardi Gras parade in our nearby village in the evening. I am a so called "Karnevalsmuffel" who belongs to the species of carnival grouches!
Happy T-Day my dear Co-Admin!
oxo Susi

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

We vacationed in New Orleans many years ago but didn't even try to get into Antoine's! It looks very posh and quite fabulous. What a wonderful memory. I love your Mardi Gras masks page.

Happy T-day, Elizabeth! Hugs, Eileen

pearshapedcrafting said...

Just realised I didn't tell how fabulous your Mardi Gras page is! We have been out most of today so grabbing a few minutes to link with others! Hugs, Chrisx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; thanx for sharing !!!!! enjoyed this post; I can see why they
charged so much for the foods and drinks; to cover the cost of printing
that menu !!!! WOW !!!!! ☺☺♥♥

Craftymoose Crafts said...

So glad I stopped by to enjoy T day with you, especially with the visit to "Nawlins"! I remember our visit in 1990 (not to Antoine's)and the mouthwatering cafe & beignets!

Sami said...

No Carnival or Mardi Gras in Perth.
That must have been quite a special visit and it's great to remember great times in special places. That menu is quite extensive, but it seems to be such a huge restaurant, I'm sure they need the variety for hundreds of people they would serve.

Lotte Kristensen said...

Your decadent journal spread for Fat Tuesday is spot on! And what great memories of New Orleans - I would LOVE to go there! I can definitely imagine that a tall cool glass of Pimms would go down well while listening to some real southern jazz ;D

Linda Manning Findley said...

Great job "E" ... Mardi Gras is always fun and you made it even more so ... love the mask art ...

Divers and Sundry said...

My family took a vacation to New Orleans when I was young, and I loved it! Beignets! That restaurant looks gorgeous.

It's Wednesday, and I missed it TSFT! It doesn't do much good to schedule the post if I don't get back to the blog until the next day lol It looks like y'all had fun :)

Cindy McMath said...

A pretty Mardi Gras page! I love the sparkles and the metallics but really adore the masks. I have always loved masks and used to have quite a collection. I let many of them go in my move because I want to have room to hang more of my own art.

Marfi-topia said...

beautiful art!! Another great post with lovely images:)