Monday, February 19, 2018

T Stands For a Day With Kathy



My shopaholic friend Kathy came to visit on Saturday.   Before I knew she was coming,

I made potato soup, thanks to our T participant Kathy at Hummingbird Woodland Studio.   I had just cooked the potatoes and onions, then added dill from my indoor herb garden, along with milk and butter which seems to have disappeared already.  She made me SO hungry for potato soup last week, I simply had to make some for myself.
 
Of course, Kathy came bearing gifts.  My gifts to her were in a bag just to the left of the photo.    I gave her three bars of my handmade soap, and a small snippet bar to place in her unmentionables drawer.  I also gave her some earrings and a set of beads and bangles I found for her to make her own necklace or bracelet.  The peppermint is strong as ever.  Note the cup of coffee in front of Kathy.  That's my drink reference today.  My Wichita State mug was out of sight, along with my gift to her.

I told her she had to smile to be invited to T!  When I pushed back the tissue paper, I jumped and shouted with glee.

Isn't this adorable?  I'd never seen wind chimes like that before.  I was over the moon with happiness.  Now I just have to find a place for them, because they don't really fit in my white, copper, and cobalt blue kitchen.

Even the rocking horse, with its enclosed area for a rider was unique.

But that wasn't all.  Here is a lovely pin cushion she has made for me and she filled it with Valentine things, too.

She cut my hair, then we headed out to eat.  Finally it was off to shop at JoAnn's, a big box craft store that sells in the U.S. and Canada. 

Even though I took my camera to both the Chinese restaurant and into JoAnn's, I didn't take a single photo.  We were too busy talking and catching up on our lives, news, and gossip.   We both talked about how Planners had taken over everywhere and everything.

I may have saved $16.15, but I spent a LOT more than that.

Part of the reason I spent so much was because Kathy insisted the TH paper dolls we both bought the last time we were there, were different from these.  She got so insistent they were different, I bought a set for her and a set for me.  I also bought her a set of those TH ephemera packs, as well as a set for myself.  Additionally, I paid for some really expensive ribbon for one of Kathy's newest projects, which is a fabric book on Elephants.


Kathy also wanted some washi tape so we each bought a different set and traded for the ones we each liked.   I bought a fat quarter of fabric and some variegated thread in hopes of jump starting my desire (or lack of it) to get back to making sewn art.

The hearts were on deep clearance and the lobster clips were so I can make some fobs like Kathy has on her purse. I realized I needed a fine liner brush, so bit the bullet and got it.    

I was actually shocked at how expensive these two rubber stamps were.  But I'm just not comfortable stamping without the wood backing.   My yearly craft allowance has not changed.  It is still $60.00 (USD) and I spent $21.66 not counting what I paid for Kathy's goodies.  I won't be spending time in craft stores again any time soon, that's for sure.

Now it's your turn to share a drink related post.  It can be photos, a place you visited, movies, postcards, books, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, tags, teabags, teapots, cups and saucers, mugs, scrapbooking, or any other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, as long as it in some way relates back to a drink, any drink. Regardless, please share below and Bleubeard and I, along with the rest of the T gang will be by to visit.  Old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time.   






30 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you had a visitor, and that you girls had a nice day out shopping and found lots of goodies. I hope you enjoyed the Chinese restaurant, too. Your potato soup looks great. Your presents are lovely, enjoy - I can imagine how thrilled you were with the rocking horse. Happy T Day, have fun, hugs, Valerie

johanna said...

oh well, all that stuff is so expensive! and we get tempted easily, so better don´t go to certain places (or online sites;))
this little rocking horse is so cute, i´m sure you will find a special place for it!
happy t-day and rest of the week:)

Meggymay said...

It must have a lovely day for you both, exchanging gifts, shopping and having a super time enjoying each others company.
Your wind chime with the rocking horse looks adorable and so does the beautiful pin cushion.
Shopping in craft stares is always a temptation, it looks like you brought home a super variety of items. The wooden stamps in your pile of goodies caught my eye.
I'm sure you must have enjoyed your Chinese meal out as well.
Happy T day wishes Elizabeth
Yvonne xx.
p.s. The soup you made looked delicious.

kathyinozarks said...

oh goodness your potato soup looks so delicious-and I love your idea of adding some dill
What a fun day you had with your friend Kathy-I love Joann's I wish there was one closer to us but the towns near me are just too small and they have the best coupons too-I always check online first. Next month I hope to go craft shopping when I go with a friend to get our taxes prepared in the "big" city
I only buy stamps with the wood on them too-I am so glad you had a fun day
Happy T Stands for Tuesday Kathy

Lisca said...

That potato soup is making me hungry. It sure looks delicious.
I bet you had a great time, catching up and chatting with your friend. wasn't it kind of her to bring you such lovely gifts. The rocking horse must have made you extatic! What a beauty! And the pin cushion is gorgeous.
Then shopping in a proper craft shop. That sounds great. (and expensive as you found out). I love the TH dolls. His stuff is really cool but it is so expensive. You had good bargains there, saving so much money.But you probably wouldn't have bought most of it if it hadn't been discounted. Nevertheless you have had a super day.
And today is T-Day,
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! What a day you two had together! Lovely gifts exchanged, a Chinese meal and then craft shopping! I can imagine that you had a lot to talk about! I have just seen one of the new paper dolls on a blog - they do look good...and you can never have too many!! Happy T Day Chrisx

Linda Kunsman said...

what a perfectly wonderful day-spent with a dear friend, good food, gifts, lots of talk, and craft shopping!! Now you have me hungry for some of that soup too:) Loving your rocking horse chime-and I think it would fit anywhere-even with your blue decor-see that little blue bead on it? And a splash of red always brings up the energy!
Looks like you did quite well with your crafting haul too! I remember when I was afraid to try or buy an unmounted stamp. But after attaining a huge collection along with storage issues I bit the bullet and now won't turn back:)
Thanks for sharing your joyous , fun fulled day. Happy T Day!

kathyinozarks said...

I forgot to mention how much I love your new wind chime-have not seen one like that-enjoy

Kate Yetter said...

That potato soup has my mouth watering! What a lovely friend to give you such a unique chime. It is certainly beautiful. And it look like you had a wonderful shopping trip. Your goodies looked like something I would have picked out.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Rita said...

Great picture of Kathy.
The wind chimes are perfect for you! Pretty pin cushion, too.
Potato soup looks so good!
I guess I still think of Joann's as a fabric store but the craft supplies take up over half the stores now. What a haul! Enjoy!! :)

CJ Kennedy said...

The potato soup looks so good. Will keep that in mind though not this week as it will be too warm for soup. Tell Kathy I love her sweatshirt. The rocking horse wind chime is so adorable, and I've never seen such a pretty pin cushion. My eyes went a deep shade of green with all the goodies you got from JoAnn's. It's so hard not to walk out of that store (or any craft/art store) without dropping a bundle. I'll look forward to seeing the wonderful things you make with your new supplies.

Birgit said...

That little rocking horse wind chime is so sweet and you must like horses because I see a nice horse on your counter in the background. Your friend looks sweet and I am glad you splurged. It always costs me when I venture into Michael’s or a stamp store. Stamps are never cheap unless you can get them on sale. Those paper dolls look a little bit like old film stars from the twenties. The little girl I think was known as Baby Anne or Baby Shirley...no, not that Shirley:) the little girl I am thinking of was a big name back in the day. I can’t recall her name

Helen said...

what a great time you had with Kathy, and such wonderful gifts she gave you! If you bought that amount of goodies here, you'd have spent a lot more I can tell you!!

Rike said...

Now I'm very hungry - tomorrow I shall cook such a good looking potato soup (today I have rice from yesterday to warm up)!
This wind chime rocking horse is really adorable! And this pin cushion too!
What a great day with Kathy! Big adventures in the craft store ... and I can understand that you now won't be spending time in craft stores again any time soon ... really?
Wish you a happy day!
Rike xx

My name is Erika. said...

Looks like you had a really nice day with your friend. Catching up with someone you don't see so often is always a good time. And that soup looks yummy. I love soup. :) And I will say that is quite the stash you picked up at Joann's. I can see some fun in your future. :) Hee-hee! I hope we get to see some art you made with those pieces soon. Happy T Day dear friend. Hugs-Erika

RO said...

That potato soup looks really yummy, and now I'm going to make garlic mashed potatoes for dinner, along with lemon garlic chicken this evening with hubby. My eyes spy some washi tape, which you know I always need for my planner. I went to Michael's yesterday and a friend grabbed a new 2018 Planner for me that was marked down from $59 to $4!!! You know I love my bargains, and totally agree with keeping a budget.There are so many cool things in these stores that it's really easy to go overboard. I'm so thrilled that you and your friend were able to spend quality time together. That's super special. Love that you've exchanged such lovely and thoughtful gifts. What a wonderful way to spend the day. Happy Tuesday to you and HUGE Hugs...RO

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, it looks like you had a super time together catching up, exchanging gifts, going to a chinese restaurant and then shopping - perfect 😁. All your new craft supplies look fabulous and such a good idea to exchange and share items too. Your rocking horse wind chime and pin cushion are amazing! That potatoe soup looks delicious, it's making me hungry - well it is lunchtime here ...lol 😉. Wishing you a very happy T Day! J 😊

froebelsternchen said...

It must have been a WONDERFUL day for you both! This rocking horse wind chime looks simply adorable and so does this unique pin cushion. Kathy loves you! This is so nice - and that she can cut your hair - is super! So you safe money and it was good invested in this amazing goodies! All looks great - you brought home a super variety of very useful items. And they bring joy to your heart and that is worth the money for sure!
I'm sure you use all and fabulous that you had such a wonderful friendship day!
Happy T day wishes Elizabeth!
The soup you made looks delicious, I will cook me some potatoe soup with mushrooms( have some in the freezer still)this week - thanks for the inspiration my friend!

oxo Susi

Nancy said...

What a fun day, and your wind chimes are perfect! The pin cushion Kathy made is very pretty, and my eye went right to the sparkly dragonfly. You certainly made good use of your craft budget with all that you got. I was trying to figure out what you bought that was in the cellophane package near the thread. I thought it might be a lump of beeswax to use with thread. Then the light dawned- it was your fortune cookie! Glad you enjoyed your day.

Cindy McMath said...

I’m always amazed how much you get for so little money. I’d expect to pay $20 for the Eiffel Tower stamp (large) here. I don’t think there are any Joanns in Canada. We have Michaels. We no longer have any rubber stamp specialty stores in my city (there were two for many years and I think three at one point). Not that I stamp much any more. And even if those TH paper dolls turn out to be the same ones I’m sure you’ll have fun with them. Nice to have something perfectly cut out and ready to use.

Divers and Sundry said...

Looks like y'all had a great day! What fun! The soup looks delicious. It's been so long since I had potato soup. Thx for linking me :)

Lorraine said...

what a lovely pincushion and the potato soup looks warming..I like the merry go round too

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

What a fun-filled day you two ladies had. The rocking horse wind chimes are adorable and very unique.

Though you spent almost half your annual crafting budget in one shopping spree, you got such great buys that all that stuff should keep you well supplied for several months. So I bet it works out just fine ;-)

Happy T-day, Elizabeth! Hugs, Eileen

P.S. Re your comment about bulk buying, we do stock up when we go to Guadalajara because most of the brands and many of the items (like shoes to fit my hubby's size 12 feet or sheets for our king size bed) aren't available in our village.

Ajijic is a very interesting mix of old and new ways. For example, while we have a medium size Walmart, you might see a horse tied up in the parking lot. Many woman still make tortillas by hand. Huichol Indians still wear their colorful traditional dress as daily wear, that is, not just for fiestas.

Sandra Cox said...

What a wonderful day, dear Elizabeth. I love that pincushion and the potato soup has me drooling. It's very smart of you to put yourself on a craft allowance.

Sharon Madson said...

What a fun day you and Kathy had. Lovely gifts , too! I hope some day we can get together! You could email my gmail, so we could get connected. Enjoying he snow; ice day? I think it is on my side bar. I will be late linking, probably tonight. See you, then!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth

what a great day you and Kathy had; the soup looks delicious and her gifts to you are amazing !!! I hope you both have an opportunity to meet
up again this summer... !!

da tabbies send ther best ta bleu N squiggles ~~ ☺☺♥♥

Jeanie said...

This looks like the most perfect day. Nothing better than lunch with a friend (that potato soup looks to die for), presents (!) and then a day at the craft stores. Yes, don't you love it when they tell you how much you save? It's never even close to what you spent!

jinxxxygirl said...

So good to see Kathy!!! Love all your gifts from her, that rocking horse was right up your alley blue or not..lol We LOVE the potato soup at Olive Garden and my daughter makes a mean potato soup and i threatened to try to make some this year and it just didn't happen... I wonder if you could make it without the cream or milk?? Maybe just puree up some of the potatoes to give the illusion.. Thank you so much for hosting our gathering Elizabeth. i have missed it.. Hugs! deb

Rike said...

Today I cooked a potato soup with onions, milk and dried dill - I enjoyed this! Thanks!

Marfi-topia said...

Yay! love all your goodies!!
Kathy sure knew what to bring you:) what lovely gifties!!
I have those paper dolls too, I love using them..
they make perfect fairies.
Oh, now I want soup too, lol
Glad you got out to do some shopping.
Big hugs!