Sunday, December 17, 2017

Celebrating the changing seasons


Before I share my art today, I wanted to take you back to Tuesday when I had no electricity or internet.

Although these photos were taken early Wednesday morning,

you can see I finally put my front flower bed to bed (pun not intended, but it fit) for the year.

I placed the pumpkins in the yard, hoping they would break down over the winter and the seeds would grow in the spring.  I also dug up all the rocks I had "planted" one year.  They had sunk so deep, they were no longer visible until you ran over one with the lawn mower.  I'll build a rock garden in the spring.

You can see I have two more of these large rocks that will be added to the mix in the spring, too.  Now it's time to fast forward to today's art.

I'm once again joining Sheila at Orange Esmeralda, our wonderful host this month at Art Journal Journey with her theme Let's Celebrate.  I'm really lucky enough to live in a part of the world where there are definitely four distinct seasons.

Each of these pictures shows

a very distinct season based on where I live.






Don't you just love watching the birds as they also celebrate each season of the year?

For this page I created in my Challenges altered book, I began with a card stock background I made by scraping two colors across the page using a faux credit card.  The images were actually the tiny photos on the back of a calendar that represented each month of the year.  I only chose seven because I didn't think I could get all 12 on the page.  I cut them to look like photographs using my deckle edge scissors. My only embellishment was washi tape.    I used my black Zig pen to write the sentiment.

Thank you beyond words for visiting me today as I join Sheila and Susi at Art Journal Journey.  Hope to see you there, too!

20 thoughtful remarks:

Sami said...

We are so used to our amenities that it's difficult when we have no electricity or internet.
Nice page about the seasons. In Perth we don't really have distinct seasons.

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you were able to keep yourself busy on Tuesday, your garden is looking very tidy. Your journal page is very interesting, it's nice to have distinct seasons. Hugs, Valerie

sheila 77 said...

Hello Elizabeth, I always like to see photos of your area, similar in some ways to ours but also with marked differences. No Internet on Tuesday - aaarrgh!
Yes, it's great to watch the birds in all seasons. I liked seeing the birds here, the ones we have like the tits and other ones which I can't all identify. Loved the castle being struck by lightening.
We've had very frosty nights the past week and now it has all gone away and is raining.
Happy December, and please give special Scottish December strokes to Bleubeard and Squiggles.

My name is Erika. said...

Yup, I love the 4 seasons too, although here in New England winter is definitely too long of a season. :) Hee-hee. That is a cool background on your page Elizabeth. And it's also a very nice collection of pictures. Looks like your garden is ready for some winter sleep.I bet the plants are happy for that. And rocks here like to dig down into the lawn too. It's amazing how much movement the earth;s surface undergoes each season. As long as it doesn't erode away I guess. We are white with crusty snow here. Long range forecast says some snow on Christmas. We haven't had snowy holiday in forever. But long range is still too early to tell. Hope you are having a fabulous weekend. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

I love to see your garden now - it looks very tidy and well organized - you were busy! How annoying to have no interent and that on Tuesday!!!! Boah!
Your spread is FANTASTIC - I like all about it - and it is a wonderful idea to celebrate the changing of the seasons!
Happy Sunday to you!
oxo Susi

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed walking around your garden. Will be cool to see your pumpkin patch if it takes or some critter doesn't enjoy the fruit and seeds. All good either way. Loved your journal spread. I enjoy watching the birds. I've been hearing the chickadees during the day. The Black-Capped Chickadee is the state bird for Massachusetts. I'm waiting to see the first Robin to know Spring is definitely here. And there's only 185 days to the first day of Summer. Glad your electricity and Internet are back.

Meggymay said...

Your garden looks so neat and tidy. I hope you get many pumpkin plants next year.
The journal spread looks wonderful, I loved the pictures of the birds and the change of seasons is something I enjoy as well.
Yvonne xx

kathyinozarks said...

Your gardens are so much tidier than mine-that is a good idea with the punpkins-the larger birds may even eat some of the seeds we love watching birds too-I always have several feeders up for them.
Loved your changing seasons

Cindy McMath said...

A very pretty page Elizabeth! Such sweet little birds. I got your note - thank you! It is really not necessary to send me anything but I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos from that calendar. Cold here 20's so the birds were ever so abundant at the feeders. Red cardinals and red finches, gold finches and chickadees galore. Your ranch neighborhood reminds me of my childhood neighborhood which was all ranches and cape cod houses, 1/2 acre lots and lots of kids running everywhere. You said it was warm, hope you get some seasonal but nice weather for the holiday. xox

Rita said...

I love the change of seasons, too. Pretty page!
Glad you got your electricity back! :)

Barbara said...

It’s horrid being without electricity, but sometimes it gives us a chance to get things done – like you did in your garden.
Your journal page is really pretty, and it certainly shows the different seasons.

Rike said...

Very interesting garden!
Your page with this happy background is beautiful! I like these little pictures you cutted out with deckle edge scissors, so they look like real photos.
Rike x

Carol said...

I still haven't gotten my flowerbeds cleaned up this year :( It's been a tough fall here. I'm feeling much better right now but don't want to push my luck before Christmas so maybe it will be my New Years thing to get done :) Yours looks so nice and tidy and good luck with the pumpkins.

RO said...

I totally feel your pain last Tuesday, because I lost Internet on Thursday and Friday, causing me to be in panic mode for awhile. I like the way you've displayed the changing seasons with the colorful artwork, and you're blessed to have such a nice garden and very neat. Hope your Monday is fabulous! Hugs...RO

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoy seeing and hearing about your garden. Rock gardens sound easy until you actually try to maintain one, don't they lol I put my Autumn pumpkins and gourds from my patio into the trash today. I'm hoping for some snow this winter and don't want it falling on pumpkins. We're getting highs in the upper 50s and lower 60s this week, though, so I may be hoping in vain. *sigh*

Ah, well, I can make bean soup and have a hot drink in front of the Christmas tree in my seasonal celebration without snow :)

Jeanie said...

No electricity or internet always makes for a bad day. But it was fun seeing your garden. And I love your page with all the birds. That orange is great!

Let's Art Journal said...

This is the perfect celebration, I love the seasons! It was a great idea to use and recycle the calender and the images are a delight to behold - perfect 😁. Wishing you a happy new week! J 😊

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! I love seeing your garden in the Winter sun! Your page is a truly wonderful Way to celebrated the seasons! Hugs, Chrisx

Marfi-topia said...

your garden looks great. I did that one year with my old
jack-o'-lanterns and before I knew it,I had three little pumpkins growing!
I love how you cut the borders on the calendar pictures..they look great:)
the orange is perfect.