Saturday, November 25, 2017

Button Up


I am once again joining Chris from PearShapedCrafting, this month's host at Art Journal Journey with her theme of 101 Ways to Stay Warm.

Light and shadows played havoc when I tried to photograph this two page spread on my dining room table.  The sun is definitely in the southern hemisphere now, as is evidenced by the light coming through my south facing windows.

 This was a play on a song, but I changed the last word from "free" to "cold."  The font is Swis 721, and gave me the opportunity to color in the letters using a metallic gelly pen.  In case you can't read it:
Button up your overcoat
when the wind blows cold.
 I was surprised no one had used this TH paper doll, the man and his adorable little dog to create one of Chris's pages.  It seemed like the opportune time to do so.

I stood the image on a layer of built up pink paint chips, then placed cheese cloth over the top that I hoped would look like snow on a single step.  I used pop dots to hold the paper doll slightly away from the page.

I chose a pale lavender and white acrylic background to indicate the cold.

In case you are wondering, I skip around in this book.  I don't create a page or spread, then go to the next page.  I have no idea why I do this, but it's how I always work in my altered books.  The only time I've created art in order was when I created a Kings and Queens altered book for my friend Kathy one year.



This is Day 25 of AEDM and I created a two page spread in my Challenges altered book.   I'm also linking to Art Journal Journey.  Hope to see you both places.   As always, I am most grateful that you visited today.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Another beautiful spread in your AB. Love the dog on the straw. Have a fun day, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Just the right colors for that pages and I love the idea of cheese cloth for the snow - very clever!
Happy Saturday Elizabeth-
what's about the keyboard?
Thought of you as our internet was away this morning... always annoying without internet or when something doesn't work!

♥♥♥
Susi

CJ Kennedy said...

Very cool idea for snow. I'm not ready for snow or very cold weather. Fortunately, today a warm-up is predicted.

My name is Erika. said...

I like the shadows. They make you man image seem 3D . But I know shadows are such a pain when you go to photograph. :) I do like this page and I forgot about that old song. It is perfect for Chris' challenge. Now the tune is in my head. I also love the texture that looks like hay that the man is standing on, but I bet it is not. some type of fabric or string...hmm, you keep me guessing today. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs-Erika

nanskidrewski said...

That's an awesome piece Elizabeth, and you are doing awesome sticking with the challenges, especially with the holiday thrown in. Love the shadows on your piece. Happy belated Thanksgiving.

Sami said...

I like the man and the shadows of the coat and of course the dog is very sweet too.
Have a wonderful weekend Elizabeth and hope your keyboard is working better now.

Linda Kunsman said...

fabulous journal spread! Love that textural cheesecloth and how you photographed your page with the sunlight and shadows.

Divers and Sundry said...

Now I'm singing that song in my head :) And what a perfect illustration for it you created! I love that man's overcoat and hat.

Jeanie said...

I like this piece a lot, Elizabeth. The colors, the graphics, the lyrics. Except now I will be singing that song till someone kicks it out of my brain!

Meggymay said...

The shadows of the sun through your window look great on your fabulous page.
He is a dapper chap with his dog and dressed properly for the cool weather.
Yvonne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page! The lilac colour looks very chilly and the words and TH image is perfect for Chris' theme 😁. Wishing you a great weekend! J 😊

Kate Yetter said...

Such a beautiful layout. I love your words. They ring true! This TH paper doll is perfect for the theme. I have yet to acquire some but I am hoping soon. Love this!
Kate

Nancy said...

Like others have said, the look of the shadowing is a good thing! I really like those paper doll images, and your use of cheesecloth here is clever.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love the way Autumn sun falls across this fabulous page! It has turned really cold here - saw snow on some cars yesterday and my grandson reported snow in their garden too - none here! Of course I will be singing the song for the rest of the day! Saw this yesterday but rushing around a bit as we have to go across country on Thursday to attend a funeral on Friday morning - we will be staying with my brother, one of our uncles has died. Sadly the funeral falls on the day our parents died (in different years) so it's not going to be easy!
Back to your page and I do agree the gent with the dog is an ideal candidate for this AJJ age - Thank you so much for your support! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Chrisx

Cindy McMath said...

Love this Elizabeth! The colours you chose work perfectly for the theme.

Özge Başağaç said...

Lovely pages Elizabeth!