Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Wednesday wonders: Castles


I was so impressed by the sandcastle photos my friend Valerie has been showing on her blog, I thought I might find a few to share this Wednesday.  However, doing a search on Pexels, there were no free photos of sandcastles to be found.  So I thought I would show a few of the real things, castles from around the world.
























Whether built of stone, wood, or brick, whether surrounded by water, perched high in mountains, or protected by walls, these castles were meant to survive.  Most of them are from Europe, because it seems that is where most castles were built.  I hope you have enjoyed this look at castles from far and wide.

Thanks again for joining me this Wednesday.  I'm simply thrilled to read your kind comments about these photos I share based on themes (and ideas) you, my friends, readers, and followers provide me when I read your blog posts.

13 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful castles, and so many different ones. We have lots of castles along the Rhine - in the bad old days the river was controlled by the people living in them, who forced those who sailed or passed by to pay tolls. I love to see them ruined - like ours - or still whole. Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

Dortesjs said...

ohh so many gorgeous castles from around the world i live close to one to
Kronborg castle. you can google it to see. great castle

Meggymay said...

A wonderful selection of castles. We live close to a few old English ones, many ruined but looked after for future generations to see their heritage.
Yvonne xx
p.s. Congratulations Elizabeth you were one of the Top 5 choices over at TioT's with one of your super Stitch It pieces..

My name is Erika. said...

That's a great collection of architecture. Castles are cool. Too bad we don't have any here in the US but I guess it would just be a good excuse to travel to go see them. Hope it's not too much work to dig out the flan recipe, but I am excited to try it. Thanks for looking for it. :) Hugs-Erika

Sandra Cox said...

Thought I'd pop over before I head out.
Aren't these magnificent? There's just something so majestic about castles.
YOU, take special care. Thanks for the good wishes.
Hugs,

CJ Kennedy said...

I've been to the first castle pictured, Neuschwanstein. Built by Ludwig II of Bavaria though never completed. It's spectacular inside, too. I remember a sink with gold faucets shaped like a swan. This castle was the inspiration for the Sleeping Beauty castle at the Disney theme parks.

froebelsternchen said...

For sure I know "New Swanstone Castle" I was there as a young girl with my schoolclass . The German Disney Castle LOL!
The last one is in the Netherlands
I was there as well - it's near Utrecht
"De Haar Castle" - amazing inside as well

I also know that blue building but wasn't there yet - it is in Germany- it is the biggest German wooden church .
But I don't know all the others - would be interesting to know which buildings these all are. Such beautiful architecture round the world.
Thank you Elizabeth for sharing!
oxo Susi

Anonymous said...

Pretty impressive grouping. That second shot I believe my German friends brother lives very close to it, pretty nice neighbor don't you think. Jose is barely blowing wind and we are not getting much rain either, so hopefully a non-event. Now poor Mexico city with all those school kids. What next????? UGH. xox

kathyinozarks said...

awesome collection-I love looking at castles and they are soo different too-they are magical and romantic

RO said...

These castles look so lovely, and seem like they would be perfect places for weddings and parties. They also look as if people put a lot of time and thought into building them for safety and protection. Hugs...and thanks so much for the post!

Jeanie said...

All gorgeous. That first one is where the Nazis stashed the stolen art, isn't it? I think I have a book about it (not the Nazi part, the castle part.) Time for a trip to the basement...

pearshapedcrafting said...

What fabulous castles! My eldest son will love these - I think he may have visited some of them!Hugs,Chrisx

UplayOnline said...

I love to see them ruined - like ours - or still whole. Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie


jav