Thursday, September 21, 2017

It's a Red Letter Day


As  much as I love sewing, I also love color.  I've often said I have poor composition skills, poor design skills, and even poorer perspective.  However, I have always felt like color is my one salvation.

So once again I'm joining Yvonne of Meggy's Way who is hosting Art Journal Journey this month with her theme Colo(u)r in my World.

Yes, it's definitely a red letter day.

There are so many reds in this piece, some warm reds, some cool reds (warm reds lean to the orange spectrum, while cool lean toward the blue).  Some even look pink.

Speaking of pink, this is actually a red glitter crayon (Crayola brand), but it certainly looks pink in my spread.

It also left a great deal of flaked off crayon, which detracts from the other letters and numbers.

A mix of warm and cool reds were used on this originally white tag, including the string, which I also dyed.

I tried to show the glitter, 

but you might be able to see the last of my Micron pens that bit the dust when I subjected it to the crayon.

At least I finally got a decent shot of the glitter in the crayon and the final remains of my Micron pen.

For "Red Letter Day" I began with a used file folder I sprayed with shimmering mists.  When they didn't cover as well as I'd hoped, I used some fluid acrylics in different shades of red.  I also painted a piece of vintage sheet music with red acrylic craft paint.  After painting the tag and the punched circle, I began the assembly.  Once the assembly was in place, I used my large R stencil (from the office supply store) to create the others using a Sharpie.  And I can't forget my poor black Micron pen.  Rest in peace.  You will be missed, especially when I work in my calendar.

Thanks for joining me today at Art Journal Journey.  Thanks, too for visiting my blog.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

love the glittery R.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, full to bursting with gorgeous red! Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

Meggymay said...

Wow I love this RED page, it is the colour that can make me feel happy when I see it. Today is dull and gloomy here, so I now have a smile, as your fantastic page has cheered me up. I love all the shades of red and the glitter that is in your world today.
Yvonne xx

froebelsternchen said...

You have great composotion skills - don't hide your light under a bushel!
I love your red composition here with the whole spectrum of reds ....
wonderful done and with so much love for the details!
I am sorry about your loss of the micron pen!
I have a tipp for you.
From time to time I purchase very cheap office pens in 1,5 - 2 mm in black at the discounter (Aldi, Lidl).. that pens aren't permanent but if I use them in the very end - so as you did here - they do a good job. And when I ruin them I don't worry about.
I love the colors you have chosen for Yvonne's theme today!
Thank you for another wonderful page!
Happy day!
oxo Susi

My name is Erika. said...

And that is a red letter piece Elizabeth! I think your composition is perfect! And you've added lots of nice details too. I like the little sparkles and the tag detail too. Nice color also. Happy last day of summer. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Red is my second, favorite color. You captured red in all its glorious shades. Love the glitter. So red. Hope you have a Red Letter Day

R's Rue said...

Love.

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely page Elizabeth. One of my favourite colours. I love that you actually dyed the string of the tag! "Such great attention to detail.

Jeanie said...

It IS a red letter day! This page -- composition and color -- all makes me happy!

craftytrog said...

I adore that drippy paint! Such a cool page Elizabeth!
Alison x

da tabbies o trout towne said...

elizabeth; this is really neat !!!

N bleu & squiggles; speekin oh red... heerz hopin ya get sum red snapper
for lunch ☺☺♥♥

Let's Art Journal said...

Wonderful page! The red drips and glittery "R" look fantastic 😁. Wishing you a Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊

Kate Yetter said...

Loving the color and drips on your file folder. It makes me want to get some file folders. Love your project!
Kate

UplayOnline said...

Wonderful page, full to bursting with gorgeous red! Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie


jav

Rita said...

Looks nice. You know I like red. Yes, I have noticed that some "red" products do look way more pink. :)

Morrie Major said...

What a nice collection of colour - mum sometimes plays around with acrylics too but hers are not as good as yours (shhh don't tell her I said that!!)
Lots of licks, your new friend Morrie :)

Anonymous said...

RRRed it is! Love the various elements. Composition seems exciting to me with the heavy emphasis of the red at the top spilling down. xox

Divers and Sundry said...

I like the composition, and it definitely had a Red Letter Day look. I like all the different shades of red you used.