Friday, July 28, 2017

Signs of Summer


Did everyone survive the fair yesterday?  Wasn't it a fun day?  Thank goodness Bleubeard is now rested and once again, he and I are sharing some summertime love at Art Journal Journey.

I was actually quite happy with the way this turned out.  A couple of years ago, I bought a package of summertime scrapbook embellishments.  They were color coordinated, but the perspective of some pieces was all wrong.

I decided to call this Signs of Summer and used one of my spray starch mica powder backgrounds.

Because I'm not really an artist/painter, my skills are better suited to collage and mixed media.

However, I reasoned that the further away something was, the smaller it would appear.

Conversely, elements that were closer to the viewer would appear larger.

So, even though these elements were all packaged together, I had to find a way to have them fit into the same scene.

I realize even though this is not my normal style of art, I'm really happy with the way this turned out.

All images were three-dimensional.

They were all built up using large pop dots

that lifted them firmly away from the background.

Materials started with a page from my spray starch background experiment I performed earlier in the month.  I added five coordinated three-dimensional embellishments over two pieces of sandpaper, one of which I colored using watercolor crayons (the gift from Cindy that has become my new favorite go-to instrument/tool).  The small sentiment came from leftover sandpaper and my white gelly pen.

As an aside, for those of you with a good memory, my Island Cake Topper came from this package of embellishments!  I believe I put it to much better use on that tag.


As this month winds down, Bleubeard and I are thrilled you are joining us today at Art Journal Journey.  Hope you'll join us there, too.  There's still time to share some summertime love.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Jeannette said...

love your summerpage,the backruond with the blue glitters is wonderful, i love the hat and summercheer with flip flops,really,really love this summer atmosphere.
happy weekend.

hugs jenny

Cindy McMath said...

This is a great page Elizabeth, and great use of perspective here with the various elements. I like that you painted part of the sandpaper with your watercolour crayons - very creative! Your shimmering mists really show up in this photo, and are very pretty as always.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful summer page, and love the embellishments you used. Was Bleubeard hiding under the hat? Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

A terrific page with a wonderful shining background. The embellishments look fantastic the way you have used them.

Love Chrissie xx

Blogoratti said...

Wonderful page and liking the details. Greetings to you!

kaybee said...

Very atmospheric, love that sprayed background. Now all I want to do is sit in that deckchair and watch the waves coming in (and probably sipping something cold!)

froebelsternchen said...

It's a pleasure to see all the lovely and exclusive ideas you come up with for your fantastic theme! This is no exception! It looks very artsy. I love how you compose your pages - you have a knack for composition - I guess that the ICAD challenges you took part in have taken you a major step forward at this level.
Happy start of your weekend Mrs. Master Hostess, Master Bloghead Bleubeard and Apprentice Blogsuperwiser Squiggles!
oxo Susi
ox

CJ Kennedy said...

It's a perfect beach day, today. Love how you created perspective with the embellishments.

Anonymous said...

Sweet dimensional pieces. I could use that hat for the sun every day! xox

nanskidrewski said...

Fun, beachy page...I love it!

Let's Art Journal said...

I'm glad to hear Bleubeard is fully recovered after his busy day at the fair 😀. Wow, that mica powder really shimmers and shines to create a beautiful sky, that would be amazing to watch from that comfy deck chair ... lol 😉. I love how you created the perspective with the different sized pieces and the whole page is so cheery and summery - perfect! Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊

Divers and Sundry said...

You capture the season and setting well, and tho I live so far from a beach I never go there, I can certainly picture myself putting that hat aside to soak up sun on that beach :)

Jeanie said...

Love this! Simple and pretty and colorful. Ah, Bleubeard! It's all tiring isn't it?

Meggymay said...

Good to see you are having a relaxing beach day today after the marathon trip to the fair.
Its a wonderful page and the beach wear embellishments look great.
I was really drawn however to the gorgeous shimmering blues of the sea. Awesome.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

A great way to rest! Your really got those seaside elements to work for you - good note on the perspective! Hugs, Chrisx

Rita said...

Very cute and upbeat. :)