Monday, July 24, 2017

Carp Diem


Any time I can come up with a play on words, I'll do it.  So for today's Art Journal Journey
entry, I give you Carp Diem.  The carp is the one who has seized the day in this scenario.

Wilbur is standing on the shore fly fishing.   He loves this summertime activity where he can spend his weekends on the banks of the river.

He has heard this new bait will catch the carp that has eluded him for several summers.

He gets closer to the water as he throws out his line.

It's obvious the carp isn't interested


and has not been enticed by the bait.

It appears Wilbur will not be catching this carp today.

Materials used began with white card stock I painted using various paints and oil pastels.  To that I added Wilbur, who I fussy cut and colored using watercolor crayons.  The shore Wilbur stands on is sandpaper.  Wilbur's fishing line is made of multicolored yarn, and the bait is a heart shaped button.  I stamped the carp directly on the page and added the computer generated text.  The carp, a red rubber wood mounted stamp, is from River City Rubber.


Bleubeard and I are so grateful you joined us today, and hope you will seize the day at Art Journal Journey, where our theme this month is summertime love.

13 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

bad luck Wilbur!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad the fish got away! Lovely page again. Have a great, new week, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

Great play on words and the page says it all. Such fun Elizabeth

Love Chrissie xx

Dortesjs said...

Lovely page great summer journal

Sami said...

Great play on words Elizabeth, very funny.

Barbara said...

Love this page and I'm glad the fish got away. Have a happy week.

My name is Erika. said...

Ha-ha! This page is clever. That carp is pretty smart as he swims off having a grand old fish time. I like the water color feel and look to your page. Very much like a summer day. Fishing is a good summer activity.It is very relaxing and slow and easy on a hot summer day. Happy Monday. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

They'll probably play this game again soon ;) Wilbur may have to get his fish at a restaurant....

froebelsternchen said...

What a super page and great play on words Elizabeth! I did learn Latin for 5 long boring years at school many years ago and Carpe Diem and some other Latin terms are the only things that I remember. Shame on me. This carp is an old and wise guy and Wilbur has to think up some technical extras - here in Austria's Forrest Quater where carp is the main fish - they fish carp with corn or they mainly in autumn drain the fish pond water- and fish them with nets not with ♥♥heart♥♥ - tell that Wilbur if you see him again...lol !
Your page is FANTASTIC -
Happy new week Elizabeth! Hope all is well with you and the boys!
Here is drizzling rain the whole day and nature and I love it!
oxo Susi

pearshapedcrafting said...

This really is brilliant! I laughed out loud at your little tale! Love the shore and Wilbur's fishing line! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

This is one of my favorites, Elizabeth! I love Wilbur -- his soft colors, the dimension. The play on words. And the bait. But wouldn't that sweet heart catch just about anything?!

Meggymay said...

It is a wonderful story to go with this great page. I'm sorry your fisherman is still waiting to hook a fish, but so pleased the carp is still swimming free.
Yvonne xx

Cindy McMath said...

I love the play on words and the back story you've created for your page (and other pages). Fun!