Thursday, July 20, 2017

Butterflies and cake


John Keats knew exactly what to say about summertime love, which is our theme this month at Art Journal Journey



I cut the butterflies from a punch and created a valley fold at their bodies.  I was able to glue just a portion of the body to the page so it appeared they were flying around, enjoying their three glorious summer days.

I used various colorful scrapbook papers to create the butterflies.

For this page, I started with a used file folder that I spritzed with handmade shimmering mists.  I printed and matted the quote, then added it to the spread. Next, I added the butterflies that weren't really as random as I had hoped.


Bleubeard and I are delighted you took time to visit today, as we created this page where butterflies were free and enjoyed their three days of summertime love and bliss.  As I'm sure you know by now, we're hosting Art Journal Journey this month. 




As an aside, I've been designing the cover of my 3-ring binder I'll be keeping all these pages in I've made this month.  I had one 3-D piece from a package of embellishments that didn't fit in anywhere.  Not the right size, style, color, etc.  I'm sure you've had a few leftovers, too at times.

That's when I saw it as a cake topper.   Now you will have to agree, I can't draw anything, and I am even worse at decorating cakes.  Further, I don't make very good or even interesting tags.

However, to honor Wilma's cake theme at Tag Tuesday, I decided to put this "cake topper" to good use.  Laugh and laugh if you're amused.  I know I did after I photographed it.  But, please help yourself to a piece of Island Cake.


Please also join Bleubeard and me for Wilma's cake at Tag Tuesday.  And thanks for dropping by my blog today, too.

15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely and romantic page with the quote from Keats, he had a wonderful way with words. Lovely tag, too, thanks so much for joining us at Tag Tuesday!
Have a nice day, it's bad weather over here. Hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

The page is very beautiful with wonderful Keats verse.

Your cake tag is terrific and what is even better is that you went out of your comfort zone to make a tag for our challenge-so thoughtful

Thank you for joining us at Tag Tuesday

Love Chrissie xx

Anonymous said...

How beautiful the side looks with the butterflies and with the quote from Keats!
And the day is beautifully conceived!
Greetings Elke

froebelsternchen said...

Your page is wonderful with the flying butterflies and that gorgeous Keats poem!
Unique and I LOVE your super tag !!!
I hope you will show us the designed 3- ring binder soon as well!
Happy Thursday - the week flies by again!
oxo Susi

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love this page and the Oh so romantic quote! Your cake does look as though your hand slipped with the red food colouring but I would still share a slice with you! Hugs, Chrisx ps Off for a while so scheduled posts!

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful butterfly page, I like the way you folded them to give a 3D effect 😀. Great tag too and I'd love a piece of your fabulous island cake, thank you. Enjoy the rest of your week and Happy Weekend! J 😊

My name is Erika. said...

I wouldn't have seen cake if I looked at that island but yes, it is one, isn't it? Great tag Elizabeth. And I haven't heard that Keats quote before but I also think its fantastic. Yes, I think they look like they are fluttering with joy. Oh to have a poets view of the world. Of course being a biologist I know what those butterflies are up to, but I won't ruin this fantastic page and quote with biological details. LOL! Hope it a great Thursday, already? Where has this week gone to? Hugs-Erika

Sandra Cox said...

Oh my, I love the butterfly folder. Keat's words takes my breath away. And the tag is fun:)
Heading for Wilma's now.

Sami said...

Beautiful page with the butterflies Elizabeth. I like the shimmer in the background too.

Jeanie said...

I never used to be a fan of pink but in recent years I've found it growing higher and higher on the favored color list! I really do like this -- it sparkles and the butterflies are so happy. It makes me happy too!

Meggymay said...

It is a lovely poem you chose to go on your page today. It looks beautiful with all the fluttering butterflies.
The tag is wonderful and the island decoration to the cake is brilliant. I
I watched a program a while ago it was a US show, all about amazing themed wedding cakes, so I think this would have been an amazing style of cake for island lovers.
Yvonne xx

Cindy McMath said...

Another lovely page - you really make good use of the mists you've made. I got a kick out of your cake too - fun!

Joan said...

I love the island topper you put on your cake tag!! Very creative!

Birgit said...

You're too hard on yourself because I like that tag. It's fun and colourful. I love the butterflies and the pink splattered background just makes it look like they came from a fairy land

Divers and Sundry said...

Butterflies are an inspiration to be here now, I think. I got a kick out of the cake :)