Saturday, July 22, 2017

At the drive-in

There is nothing more romantic than spending summer weekends at the drive-in.  The first drive-in was located in New Jersey when Richard Hollingshead patented the concept and built the first drive-in in 1933. 

Drive-ins were a new concept and only 95 were built in the U.S.A. from 1933-1942.  Then the war took its toll on drive-ins.  This was caused by fuel rations, no rubber for tires, and most families were involved in the war effort.  Some drive-ins closed for as many as two years during that time.
 
Once the war was over, drive-ins became a thriving business again.  Young children needed to be entertained, so many drive-ins added a playground in the empty space between the first row and the screen.  Parents would arrive early so their children could play there.

Before the movies began, a trip to the concession stand was in order.   To increase sales, intermission between movies was invented so people could stock up on assorted food and drink.

Oftentimes, entire families and friends piled into a single car and each car paid for and received only one ticket, regardless of the number of people in the car.

The drive-in boom was now truly under way. Going from less than 1,000 drive-ins in 1948 to close to 5,000 by 1958, the drive-in etched it's place in history, not just in the U.S.A. but in many countries across the world.  During the same years (1948 to 1958) over 5,000 indoor theaters closed reducing their number from 17,000 to 12,000.

Materials used include a sheet of argyle style scrapbook paper, a vintage image of a drive-in from my stash, a small popcorn bag, a heart button, washi tape, a coupon, and a Micron pen for the handwritten sentiment.  I cut the "Carnival King" image from the back of the popcorn bag.



Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me today as we looked back at the history of the drive-in during its early days.  Hope to see you at Art Journal Journey, too.  There's still loads of time to share some of that summertime love.


14 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Great page, nice memories! In summer there are drive ins here by the Rhine, and also at the airport. I haven't been to one since my wayward youth, though! Have a nice weekend, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

This retro page is absolutlely amazing Elizabeth!
SUPER!
Happy Saturday!
oxo Susi

chrissie said...

Great post Elizabeth with history in words and pictures. I wouldn't have thought the drive went back to 1933 how terrific is that. Hardly anyone in the UK had a car then. The page is terrific with the cars all in neat rows

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

CJ Kennedy said...

What a fun page! I can smell the popcorn.Brings back some happy memories when my parents took us to the drive-in. The first drive-in double feature I saw was Tarzan's 3 Chances and Charlton Heston in El Cid. Going to the drive-in was a consolation prize for me. The Brother got to go away for a week to Bonny Acres in New Hampshire with my Aunt and Uncle. Even though I was only 2 years younger than my cousin, I was considered too little. I was 7 years old.

We didn't bother with the concession stand. When we went to the drive-in near Worcester, quite an expedition, we would first stop at Spag's, a discount department/country store. Ma would buy paper plates, cups, napkins, giant bags of popcorn, snacks, and bottles of soda. All stocked up, we would go to the drive-in.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Sami said...

You brought back some memories Elizabeth. I remember when we lived in South Africa we used to go to the drive-in as it was cheaper for the whole family than going to the cinema. They had take-away there too and it was a treat to buy a hamburger or popcorn.
Have a great weekend.

Sandra Cox said...

Boy does this one take me back. Love it, especially the heart button:) I wish they still had drive ins.

Cindy McMath said...

I remember going to the drive-in here in Canada in the 70s when I was a girl. I just looked it up and it closed in 1979. Such fun! I also remember that you could see the screen from the highway, and when my family was coming home at night form doing something in town i used to try to see what movie was playing. I love the page! All those old cars - a great B&W image. The popcorn bag is the perfect embellishment, and the colours on your page work very well to create one of my favourite pages in this series.

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I'm so glad I stopped by today. What an interesting post. I would love to go to a drive-in movie. Although not today in this torrential rain!

Meggymay said...

Thank you for telling us about the Drive ins, it must have been a great treat to go to one of the show,. It a wonderful page and the interval to top up the sweet supplies is a good idea.
Here in the UK I'm not sure if we ever, or do have any. For sure there are none up here in the north.
Yvonne xx

Birgit said...

This is such a great scrapbook page and one many can still remember. I love the reds with this, like a love for something that has gone by. Thankfully, we have a drive in near us still in operation.

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't been to a drive in for several years. We still have one near us and it was always fun to bring some kind of dinner, our pillows and go in really comfy clothes to watch the films. When my daughter was little we used to do it at least once a summer. I kind of forgot about it until I saw this super page you made. The drive-in is all about summer, isn't it? Maybe I need to see if I can get the hubby to go one night. I do love the old vintage photo you picked out. In those big cars you bring a whole crowd. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

We went as kids a few times. I saw South Pacific and Old Yeller from the back seat of the car. Went as a teenager to see some crazy B-movies. Good memories. :)

Divers and Sundry said...

There is a drive-in here, but I haven't been in years. It's either too hot for The Husband or too cold for me lol. Fond memories of fun times :)

Jeanie said...

Oh, the drive in! That brings back memories -- lots but one of the most powerful was watching To Kill a Mockingbird at the drive in up north -- in the fog. Already sort of a misty movie! But it seemed to fit!