Friday, June 23, 2017

Texture


I've been wanting to play with Valerie and Chrissie at Tag Tuesday for weeks.  When Wendy picked Texture as the theme

I knew I simply had to play.

Wendy suggested such items as fabric, ribbons, and yarns.  So I dug in my fabric and fiber drawers and came up with this.

The sewing kept the fibers, hem tape, and knitted yarn in place. 

For this piece, I started with a die cut tag, to which I added various fibers, hem tape, knitted yarn, a punched and stamped circle, a sandwich pick, and variegated thread.  For the tag tie, I wanted something unusual, so used a recycled twist tie that I'd removed from my new monitor cord.  I really hope I find time to make more of these textured tags before time runs out.

But I was very unhappy with the scan, so decided to see how different it would look photographed.

To say it made a difference is like calling the Queen Mary a rowboat.  My scanner couldn't compare to this photo.

Even the close-up provided truer colors.

The texture in the knitted bottom was so much clearer, too.  I hope you agree.



Thanks for visiting me today, and thanks to the wonderful artists at Tag Tuesday for sharing their texture tags.  I hope to see you there, too. 



18 thoughtful remarks:

chrissie said...

A stunning tag Elizabeth with wonderful textures. Hope you find time to make more as it is just your sort of thing and mine as well. Thank you for joining us at Tag Tuesday

Love Chrissie xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Your tag is fantastic, love how you used the yarn. Scanners are never as good as photos, that's true, I always take photos of everything, my poor scanner is mostly out of work. Thanks for joining us at TT! Hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

great tag!

froebelsternchen said...

This is absolutely fantastic Elizabeth! What a great way to get texture! I love this fantastic tag!

I have illegal read your comment at Chrissie's blog today - excuse my curiosity - normally I don't mind other comments - no time to read all what the people have to say...but I always adore your wonderful comments for me and other bloggers - so I did it !

I thought I will tell you an idea before I forget again -for your problem not to find a plastic doily for stenciling -
You can paint a paper- or fabric - or lace- doily with two or three thin coats of Mod Podge or other glue to make it like plastic to use it over and over. Or if you have spray adhesive it is even easier to spray it - and you get a plastic doily!

I thank you for the always so uplifting comments you leave on my blog for me!
Happy Friday dear Elizabeth!
oxo Susi

kathyinozarks said...

Love your tag!
Happy Friday

CJ Kennedy said...

The photograph of the tag is so much nicer. I love the colors. My favorite bit is the zigzag stitching. I see rows of the letter "M" MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM delicious!

My name is Erika. said...

I LOVE your texture. I like the fringey bottom. And the colors. Bright but not glaring. Beautiful. Have a great weekend. Hugs erika

Sami said...

Looks stunning Elizabeth and the photo shows it off so much better than the scan.

Lowcarb team member said...

Wonderful textures and colours.

All the best Jan

Divers and Sundry said...

You got texture down perfect! I love the pattern and the variety of textures you used. The colors do show up better in your photo.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My! This is beautiful! You do set such a good example! The colours are so good together and you know how much I love to see sewing ! I am in the process of clearing some room on my desk so that I stop using my sewing machine as a perch for others things! Hugs, Chrisx

Gibby Frogett said...

Wow your tag is really gorgeous Elizabeth, I love the textures but those colours are really rich and sumptuous - great choice.
I know what you mean about scanning not showing things correctly..plus I think if the item is 3d that makes it worse often. I tried scanning those steampunk earrings I made, but had to use camera in end as the scanner was blurring the back part and only the nearest part to the scanner was crisp.
Thanks for your lovely message - I don't envy your high temperatures - thank goodness you have AC - something we rarely see over here as no doubt you know. I hope your weather cools down soon.
Have a lovely weekend....
Gill x

nanskidrewski said...

Love the colors and textures in your card. So fabulous! Happy weekend to you!

Meggymay said...

Its a fabulous tag Elizabeth I love the colours of the fibers and the texture look amazing.
I have never had any success using a scanner and prefer taking photos.
You can see the super details much better with your photos.
Have a good weekend.
Yvonne xx

Sandra Cox said...

So glad you did! I love it! The E just sets it off.
Have a great weekend.

Rita said...

So much texture! I like the colors, too. :)

Cindy McMath said...

Fantastic tag Elizabeth - I always love seeing your stitched pieces, and this is not exception. I also love the addition of the skewer. And yes your photo shows much more of the detail than your scanner!

Jeanie said...

Talk about texture! I love how the widths and various textures in the fiber carry this right out to perfection. Plus with all the color it's just lovely!