Saturday, May 27, 2017

The Little Asian Girl and a return to the Art and Book Fair


I'm once again joining Gill's Elegance and/or Grunge at Art Journal Journey.

Today we are headed to Asia in my 7 Continents altered book.  Not my usual 7 Continents style, but I feel it fits Gill's challenge.

I took this from the Asian book I purchased recently at the Art and Book Fair.  Although it is in black and white, I felt it was elegant.

The girl, which is part of a tag, I'm not so sure about.  I think she may be either elegant or grunge.

Edit: at Valerie's request, I am adding this page to Tag Tuesday, since it contains this tag.

But I found this image painting quite spooky (except for the deer in the lower right).  I think it definitely qualifies as grunge.

And because the page needed journaling, here is my feeble attempt to recreate one of the words or letters I found on the tag.  Please don't ask what it is or means.  Your guess is probably better than mine!

Materials include my used file folder as a substrate, over which I added some of my shimmering mists, two black and white images from an Asian book, one tag, one recycled card, a Micron ink pen, and red pigment ink applied with a Q-tip to the edges of the papers.

I thought you might like to return to the Art and Book Fair and see the remainder of the booths.  I'll keep my comments to a minimum again, so you can peruse the art at your own speed.





I took this photo because I saw the cats.  I always LOVE to see cats and show them to Bleubeard.  Squiggles doesn't seem to care about art unless I'm making it.  I didn't see the very prominent sign that stated not to photograph the paintings

until the owner came running over to stop me from doing so.  Note that she was at the back of the booth when I took the photo above this one, but made a beeline to me as I was shooting this.  I'm surprised she didn't try to take my camera away.  She gave me a tongue lashing, though.  I wanted to say that could be why there was NO ONE stopping at her booth.  Everyone else had been SO kind, some even pointing out things they thought I might like to take photos of.






I loved how this artist had set up and was ready to paint if there was a lull.

She was busy with customers while I was passing, though.





I never got close enough to take a good photo of the "Keeper of the Plains," though.  The sunset photo on the left shows it on its pedestal on the river.


It was starting to get incredibly hot and the crowds were starting to get larger than I cared to handle.

That's when I knew it was time to head for the building and peruse the books.

You can see a few of the booths set up in the parking lot as I turned back to take this final shot of the day.

Thank you for joining me for this book and art fair.  I am always grateful for your comments.  And of course, it's time to join Gill at Art Journal Journey and Valerie and Chrissie at Tag Tuesday.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your journal page is lovely, and as a tag is on it, you could link it to our Tag Tuesday challenge, (https://tagtuesday.blogspot.de/) not seen you there yet! Love all the photos from the art fair, sorry that lady was unfriendly. The majority here are always happy to be photographed, and even pose, but there are the odd ones who prefer to have a 'closed shop'. Have a fun day, hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for adding your lovely Asian Girl to TT, much appreciated and hope to see you there again, hugs, Valerie

Sami said...

Lovely and elegant Japanese lady.
Thanks for extra photos of the art fair. I spotted the cats and dogs in the paintings, I love them! I wonder why the owner didn't want photos of her work taken...
Enjoy your weekend Elizabeth.

Meggymay said...

Thank you for linking my post on Tuesday Elizabeth.
We have limited internet or zero connection, so I am well out of touch. I enjoyed reading this post and will catch up on what I missed when we get back home next week.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

I think you will make VERY good use of the books you got at the sale! I like your Asian page very much.

And the fair looks terrific -- loads of fun and lots of very good art. I'm rather fond of the animal painter!

CJ Kennedy said...

I think the Asian girl in her beautiful kimono is definitely elegant. A shame the artist yelled at you for photographing her booth. A simple please do not photograph would have been sufficient. I did like her colorful kitty paintings. So much to see. Would be hard to choose if you could buy only one thing. I'm with you on crowds. Makes me feel claustrophobic.

froebelsternchen said...

Your Asien page is wonderful - the background looks beautiful on itself!
This art fair is such an interesting event - absolutel< worth to see it! Thank you for the photos Elizabeth!
Thank you for such a wonderful page linked to the May theme !!!♥♥♥
oxo Susi

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely Asian pages Elizabeth. I'm so glad you received my card and liked it. And also I have a vague recollection of the Oz collage I made for you many years ago but can't bring it to mind! At any rate, it was nice to hear you found it. :). Regarding the artist who was upset at you photographing - it sounds like she had a poor manner for someone trying to sell her work. However, after seeing the recently copied art piece in my local art fair (that was blatantly copied from a book), I can see her concern. I know you wouldn't do such a thing but she doesn't know you. There's not only the 'copying' angle, but with today's technology, if you took a good picture of her work you could be printing them off to make cards and other merchandise to sell. Of course she could have dealt with it in a much kinder way! I enjoyed your tour through the art show all the same.

Sandra Cox said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time, with the exception of dealing with the paranoid one. I don't get what the big deal was. Glad you enjoyed yourself in spite of it.
You've created another lovely piece.
Enjoy the weekend.

Rita said...

People who are so scared of someone stealing their ideas or copying their work...all that negative energy takes away from the enjoyment of their work. So many nicer people to deal with--LOL! :)

My name is Erika. said...

Nice Asian page. I think it fits the AJJ challenge so well, and I like the girl in the kimono. I think I even have something like that in my stash. And I enjoyed seeing the rest of the art photos. I think I would be tempted to spend too much money at that fair because I see too many things I really like. Or maybe its just way out of my budget and I couldn't buy anything. :) But glad I got to go from my comfy couch. happy rest of your weekend. hugs-erika

chrissie said...

A really terrific tag with wonderful ideas. Great to have you at Tag Tuesday Elizabeth. Thank you for sharing the wonderful things you saw and all the ideas

Love Chrissie xx

Gibby Frogett said...

I read most of this yesterday morning but my pc was so hot with the heat here as well so I turned machine off for rest of day.. so now back again as this was a really great post.. but first I must say a big thank you for another fabulous page for AJJ Elizabeth I especially adore beautiful the little Asian girl.
I would have love to have walked around that art and books fair - sorry to hear about that stall holder - after all it could give them more exposure and help them. Thank goodness not everyone is like them :)
Gill xx

Sandy said...

I do believe that anything Oriental is elegant - your whole page is elegant and I really love that girl!
sandy xx

Joan said...

Your girl tag is really lovely!!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love your journal page! The tag is beautiful! What a silly lady to exhibit her art then complain that someone is impressed enough to take a photo - wonder what she thought you were going to do with it! Chrisx