Thursday, April 27, 2017

Let''s head back to Bali and a Blogger rant


I have been offline for nearly 24 hours, thanks to my (NOT) "very reliable" internet service provider, AT&T.  Granted they are cheaper than some, but keep raising their rates and performing poorly.  When it rains, I seem to have this problem, even though they promised they had fixed it the last time I was offline for about six days.

After I got back online, I wanted to leave a few comments and create this post.  But Blogger told me I had to sign in, something I have not done in several months.  It took me forever to remember my new password I had created four months ago.  Once I did, Blogger told me I had to add at least ONE more app, like a tablet or cell phone before I could get onto Blogger.

If you've been around my blog for any length of time at all, you know I don't have a cell phone, a tablet, a laptop, or any number of things they wanted me to include.   I'm so old school, I still use a VCR.  To me, it indicated another way Google can interfere with my life and my privacy.  Since I finally had phone service, I called my friend Scott, and he somehow knew how to get around the problem.  Seriously, if I didn't have him to help, this blog would have gone silent as of yesterday.  I hope this doesn't happen to you, but if it has, please let everyone know in comments.  Now I'm off my soapbox.

A month or so ago, we went to Bali.  Since it seems to be gloomy everywhere I visited before the meltdown, I thought this lovely spot in Indonesia would be a great place to set down our magic carpet on our magical mystery tour.  Not sure what I'm talking about?  I'm joining Hazel of Hazels' Creative Moments who's this month's host at Art Journal Journey.

Bali is many things, including these rice fields in Ubud.

I stumbled on this image at Trip Advisor.  It is a picture of Tanah Lot Temple.

The Tegalalang Rice Terrace always looks lush and beautiful after heavy rain.

Although I can't be sure, these look like marigolds to me.  I have no idea what their significance to Bali is, other than it made a lovely photo.

I swear, after looking at over 100 photos, all the temples started looking the same to me.   All I could find was "unique temple in middle of lake."  It appears to have been taken in Ubud and was on the Trip Advisor web site.

And so you don't get confused, all these images were of Bali, an island of Indonesia.


The three images were cut from three travel brochures and adhered to a used file folder (the back of my first Bali layout I made last month).  I sewed the images together, then sewed them all around the outside of the file folder so it wouldn't interfere with the reverse side.  "Bali" was computer generated.

Thanks for understanding why I haven't been around to visit sooner.  And thanks for joining me at Art Journal Journey.  I really, really appreciate your visit.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Sami said...

Hi Elizabeth, actually just yesterday I changed some settings on my blog, then logged out and when I logged in I was sent a password to enter that had been sent to my mobile. I can imagine if you don't have another app or machine to help you out, it makes things difficult!
Luckily you have your friend who knows his way around, I would have been lost too!

Bali is Perth's residents favourite destination, as it's only a short 3,45h flight away, closer than many of the cities in Australia's east coast.
I've never been there, but from some TV reports of the goings on of Australia's youth behaviour I don't think I want to go there either...

CJ Kennedy said...

Blogger's two-step verification is such a pain. Thankfully, we can take a deep breath and inhale the fragrance of the flowers in your beautiful page. Wish such lush scenery, I can feel the tension melt away. Glad you were able to find your way back to the Ether.

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry you have been having problems with Blogger again, we are asked to give a lot of details prize these days for the verification. Your Bali pages are wonderful, I wouldn't mind being there right now. Hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

glad you got back online! Bali looks great!

kathyinozarks said...

I am glad to read I am not the only one that does not use smart phones, tablets and all those other gadgets either. that is awful what you had to go through I have a file where I have written down my passwords otherwise I would never remember either--I don't like it when "they" assume we are all using all these advanced tech items.
enjoyed seeing your bali pages

chrissie said...

What a pain your internet is and now the extra problems with Blogger as well. Thanks for the heads up I will look out for those.

The beautiful Bali scene brings us back to the real world and the beauty to be find if we look for it.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Jeanie said...

Sometimes blogger makes me crazy. I was trying to explain to someone how to not be a no-reply blogger because she didn't even know about that till my post a few days ago. So, I looked and all the links referred to things before they changed blogger and I didn't have all the icons they told us to look for... Ugh. It all happened when they started adding Google Plus. Makes me crazy too! Glad you are straightened out.

nanskidrewski said...

I am not computer savvy, so I feel your frustration. Glad you have it sorted. Bali looks lovely. Happy Fri-yay :)

Cindy McMath said...

Glad you're back online - Scott saves the day again! Lovely pages - that temple looks amazing, and the colours in the shot of the woman with flowers are delicious. The fabric on her dress would make a great panel in an art quilt!

Divers and Sundry said...

I see 2-step verification as a benefit, since it helps prevent hacking. I use it on Facebook, too. For a while I was afraid blogger would disappear entirely, so I'm happy enough to adapt to their new ways.

I'd be tempted to trade it all for a trip to Bali, tho ;)

My name is Erika. said...

Now that would be a great place to go. And maybe once there who would care about the internet. Sorry about your issues. What a PAIN. Who knew Goggle was so picky about getting passwords. What a Pain, I will say it again. Well I'm just glad you are back and not out for 6 days again. happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

That's absolutely ridiculous! Blogger is getting just so hard to deal with sometimes. I know how you feel. I have been tempted to opt out a few times myself. Glad you didn't! Your Bali spreads are beautiful. :)

Janet said...

Technology is amazing when it works and a nightmare when it doesn't! Glad you got it squared away! Bali is on my list of places I'd like to visit, but it will be awhile. We've already got our trips planned through 2018 (and even part of 2019) and Bali hasn't made it onto the calendar yet!

Lowcarb team member said...

Blogger does seem to play up/change/do weird things from time to time !
Loved your post today ...

All the best Jan

Sandy said...

Elizabeth I know what you mean. I don't have a cell phone - I don't twirk, tweet or twirl. And I keep saying I am going to put my pass words in a little book to keep somewhere handy but I never do. Oh woe is me. Now I have to admit, I love visiting you guys so much that I would be absolutely lost without my computer.
Love our little touch down in Bali - a magical page for sure!!
Sandy xx

froebelsternchen said...

Your Bali pages are wonderful Elizabeth!
Sorry about blogger!

hazel said...

Sorry you have problems with the internet and blogger and glad you managed to get your Bali pages posted, it looks like a beautiful place to be.
xxx Hazel.

Anonymous said...

I actually do like 2-step verification for everything I do so I know it's me and not some random person trying to get it, but if anyone things Big Brother isn't watching they are mistaken, every darn keystroke from everywhere they can get at you. So, heads out of sand if we want to be online at all I guess.

Flowers could be calendula - herbal goodness. xox