Friday, April 21, 2017

I want to make a stamp


Today I want to make a stamp.  Here's how I started.

I began with a block of foam padding left over from my new monitor.

I grabbed a leftover piece of foam that was larger than the packing material,

then ran my ink pen around the perimeter.

Not the best outline, but good enough.

I cut around the outline,

then folded the foam in half lengthwise.  I kept the foam in place with my engineering  ruler.

For the first line, I allowed 1/2 inch, then 1/4 inch every line after that. 

If you plan to make this, be sure your first line is twice as long as each line after that.

Now it's time to create diagonal cuts.  Try to keep the angle consistent.

Lay your first piece of foam over the packing material, but don't glue it down.  There will be more than enough chevrons

that you will have your choice of foam pieces.

Choose the best pieces and glue the foam in place.  Now it's time to allow the glue to dry.  Had I been thinking, I might have used E-6000.  But at the time, I used a PVA white glue.  Time will tell if it holds up.  I probably will not wash the "stamp" once I ink and use it.

This is Day 21 of 22, and I recycled a piece of packing foam and a leftover scrap of fun foam.  I can't tell you how thrilled I am that my recycled art has gone over so well so far this year.  Your comments and support have meant the world to me.  Thank you beyond belief for your continued support of my art and my recycling efforts.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Great idea with your stamp Elizabeth, I am looking forward to seeing how it stamps. Glad you've had fun with your recycling month. I'm off to the clinic now. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

A wonderful idea and great recycling post as well - I am interested in how it will stamp.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Elizabeth!
♥♥♥
Much love sent by
Susi

Frannyaitch said...

I have a lot of tiny bits of this foam left over from kids activities that I didn't want to throw away. Now I can make good use of them. Thanks Elizabeth. X

chrissie said...

A terrific idea. I have used one of those pieces to make a stamp but I carved my shapes and didn't work too well. Will be interesting to see how yours works out.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Meggymay said...

I am looking forward as well to see you use this stamp. It was a fantastic idea. It has been a super month with so many inovitive ideas Elizabeth.
Yvonne xx

Özge Başağaç said...

I am a big supporter of recycled art materials.I think they make the most unique and creative tools.What else do you need to be authentic? Have a great weekend Elizabeth :)

My name is Erika. said...

Great idea. I always looks at packaging scraps and wonder how I could use them. You re much more clever than me when it comes to those ideas. I can't wait to see how these images look on some of your art. Do you have any big plans for the big? Have a great Friday.

CJ Kennedy said...

Clever. Will look forward to seeing the image it stamps.

Krisha said...

very clever, can't wait to see you use it.

Dianne said...

awesome use of packing materials!!

btw...you are right about my Fake Journal character... I guess the list of subjects I've drawn so far was too big a hint?! lol.

sorry I missed the T party this week...seems I'm not very organized and lots going on.

Özge Başağaç said...

Hello again Elizabeth. I would be so glad if you followed my blog. Please feel free to put the link on your sidebar. Best wishes...

Divers and Sundry said...

That is so cool! Your ideas would've been such a blessing to me back when I was homeschooling and looking for crafts that were geared more towards art and that could be adapted for older and younger kids. This is such a great idea!

Jo Murray said...

Thanks so much. This is a hint that will be of great use to me.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Wow! How fun -- I want to see how it looks stamped.

Rita said...

Clever! I hope you show us how it stamps and let us know how well it holds up. :)

Jeanie said...

You've been having fun with this month's projects! I know I've learned a lot!

Cindy McMath said...

Can't wait to see this in use. I just saved a large-ish (8x10) chunk of that same packing foam because I figured I could use it for something. Let us see when you have time!

Gibby Frogett said...

I didn't get a chance to check out all your recycling projects in April as I'd hoped - sorry.
This was a great idea Elizabeth - I bet the stamp looks great with acrylic paints and for gelli prints.
I have some of that packing foam that I wanted to see if I could little bits of to blend pastels - not even sure if I tried that yet.
Will have to try your idea ..
Hope you've had a great day... Gill xx