Monday, April 24, 2017

Earth Day's March For Science in Wichita, KS


My friend Sally and I attended the March for Science on Earth Day.

Sally is on the right wearing the hat and dark glasses.   She wanted to get there early because she was afraid we wouldn't find decent parking. 

We arrived shortly after 10 am, nearly an hour before the event was supposed to begin.  

We were both surprised by how many people were already there.

Of course that number paled in comparison to how many eventually showed up.

Now I'm going to allow the photos (and signs) do the talking.























It was finally time for the various speakers

to make their way to the podium.

Six speakers in all spoke for nearly an hour.


Of course, by that time I was bored with the speeches

and took photos of the beautiful old Court House.

I love symmetry.

If I'd been further back, I would have gotten it all.

I actually did better with the close-up.


Then it was time for the actual march.





They just kept coming and coming.

Even animals got into the act,

patiently waiting their turn to get into line.



By now, Sally was bored and ready to leave.

We followed the procession in the car for awhile,

but that also bored her.  Thankfully, police were there to block off streets.

Although we didn't march (but I knew we wouldn't be marching because Sally can barely walk from her car to a restaurant), we participated and I got to wear the Earth Day Science tee.  BTW, the one I wore was the only one like it I saw.  So glad Sally bought it before she bought the Wichita one.

Thanks for joining me on this adventure we took on Saturday.

14 thoughtful remarks:

chrissie said...

A special day for you and for many others by the looks of all the people there Elizabeth. Great that you could join in something you believe in so strongly.

Thank you form sharing the photographs and especially the placards a lot of them coming from different angles.

Have a good day

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

Such an interesting post ! A special event- I am sorry for you that you couldn't march with the demo people , that would have been an even deeper sense of belonging for sure.
Happy new week - thanks for all the photos- they had many different slogans..great.

Sami said...

Wonderful that you participated in something worth fighting for Elizabeth.
So many placards and a lot of people!

sheila 77 said...

Really interesting to see all the placards, some of them were very amusing, although still meaningful I liked the one about Smallpox and the one that said "If you can read this.......".
It must take you ages to process the photos when you get home and choose the best ones, not to mention then getting them on the blog and writing about them. Thanks for that.

Barbara said...

There is no PlanET B (one of the placards) is a frightening prospect. Well done for going these things are too important to ignore. Thanks for sharing all the photos.

Ann Bennett said...

You got some great photoshots. I'm glad there was a good turnout. I wanted to go to the Atlanta march. Family responsibility kept me home. But I was there in spirit. Hopefully, politicians heed what is said or at least in 2018 we elect some who do.

CJ Kennedy said...

Wonderful that you were able to participate. What a super way to celebrate your birthday. Kudos for showing up at the event. Crowds make me nervous so I'm not apt to go to large events like this. I enjoyed reading the signs. Some of the slogans were so clever.

The courthouse is a beautiful building. Too bad classical architecture is out of style.

nanskidrewski said...

Really impressive. Glad there was such a turnout. I think people don't always realize that science is responsible for so many of the conveniences we enjoy and take for granted. If there is one thing we can take away from the current political climate, it's that people want their voices to be heard. I love the symmetry and art of the building, and the beautiful dog you photographed in the crowd. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jeanie said...

Wonderful signs and a very impressive crowd. I'm so glad you marched. I heard someone say "If you don't think science matters, throw out your computer, your car, your microwave, your electricity and your phone and see how it goes."

Very true!

Sandra Cox said...

Awesome! The signs were great. I especially loved Build A Wall Between Church and State and Make America Think Again.

Darla said...

I didn't get to a local march but I certainly enjoyed the photos of yours. I got a kick out of the signs.

Divers and Sundry said...

It rained for our Earth Day marches, and I stayed home. Thx for sharing your photos. Science is important. My favorite sign is the one that says, "Got polio? Yeah, me either. Thank science."

My name is Erika. said...

I love all the cool signs people came up with. My favorite was of course the science teacher with the photosynthesis equation on it. Photosynthesis does rule the world, not our president who obviously believe the alternative truth that he does. Ha-ha. But not funny. Glad you shared and what a fun thing to do on your birthday. Hugs-Erika

Dianne said...

So interesting to see all the creative signs! You made me smile when you talked about getting bored with the speeches! Yep, I love the old courthouses too. Sadly, our local courthouse needs a lot of restoration and I don't think there are funds to make it happen. Also sadly, I don't remember enough about my chemistry equations to be able to read the "thank a science teacher" sign properly! balancing equations for an artist was quite a challenge! well, I guess I do remember what H2O and CO2 are...sheesh. looks like it was an exciting day! thanks for sharing it with us ;)