Saturday, April 22, 2017

Can you hear me now?


Today we celebrate our love of the Earth.  Today is also my bEARTHday.  I'm not sure whether I've been influenced by Earth Day, or whether I've always looked for ways to recycle, even before it was popular.

I was raised by grandparents, both born during the depression, when "make do" was a way of life.  Even though my grandmother came from a wealthy home, after her first husband (my birth grandfather) died, her family disinherited her because she "married below her station."    I'm actually glad I never met my grandmother's parents.   I was appalled by the way they acted.  After all, it was 20th century America, not Victorian England.  That belief of fighting injustice may also have contributed to who I am today.  I often stand up for those who are unable or unwilling to.

My grandmother's second husband (the man she married below her station), my grandfather was the only one I ever knew.  He was great in math, which I learned from him.  I learned to read from my grandmother and knew the alphabet and could write all the letters before I went to kindergarten.   I was often bored or accused of being the teacher's pet.

It took me getting my master's degree before I truly realized I wasn't dumb was smart.  I've always been scatterbrained and many people called me dumb because of it.  When I got accepted into a Ph.D. program at Wichita State University (go Shockers), I finally felt at home.

When I graduated, everyone called me Dr. E.  I added the the phrase "Dr E., Queen of Free" after that.  Sorry for this reminiscing, but it's truly a morning of reflection for me.

But now it's time to shift gears.  For today's recycling entry

I started with a book cover given me by my friend Sally.

I added some gold infused tissue paper

I saved from a gift.

I used white PVA glue to adhere the tissue paper to the book cover.

While the glue was drying, I decided to create a new universal hole locater.  I began with a pad of post-it-notes and a steel ruler.

I measured down 2 mm from the top of the pad on two sides and drew lines.

I used those two lines as guides to create a single line across the width of the page.

I measured 2.5 mm from the left and right sides

and drew two perpendicular lines to meet the horizontal line.


I drew a small circle at the intersections of each line,

then wrote the words "left" and "right."  That was for your benefit, not mine.

The idea is, no matter what width

you are measuring, the hole locater will work perfectly by lining it up with either the left or right side of the piece.

Here is my completed assemblage with holes punched, but minus wires.

I'm really happy about the completed assemblage.

I'm including a few random shots for your enjoyment.



I need to adhere the "Hear Hear" a bit better, I see.  As an aside, it is left over from the deli paper I used a couple of days ago.







For this assemblage, I started with a book cover and some used tissue paper.  I deconstructed an old cordless phone and used the "motherboard" as the main assembly.  I added the speaker from the same phone, along with some beads and baubles I either assembled, or used to add interest to this assemblage.   For the hanger, I used a colorful deconstructed telephone wire.  I used a stencil to write all the words on the scrap deli paper.

Thank you beyond belief for your continued support of my recycling efforts through the past 22 days.   And please have a glorious Earth Day everyone.

You'll find me here today:

My friend Sally bought two of these shirts, wore and washed this one,

and has allowed me to wear it today.  I chided her about her cats' fur all over it when she handed it to me in the car on our way to eat my bEARTHday lunch on Thursday.  I think this must be her fluffy cat, since the other one has very straight fur.

This tee is so large, I could probably wear it as a dress!

Thank you again for sticking with me through these 22 days of recycling. 

24 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy birthday to you! Hope you have a happy day and a good, new year. I sent you a mail....Love your brilliant assemblage, and nice to learn more about you and your family in your post today. Hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

Happy birthday! have a fabulous day. I love your recycled project today, think it is the best yet!

chrissie said...

Terrific ideas on your project today-I just love the wire.

Have a very Happy Bearthday

Love Chrissie xxx

Meggymay said...

Happy Birthday Elizabeth, I hope your day and the years to come are good ones.
Today's recycling project has the Wow factor for me, your ideas and inspiration are always fabulous.
Thank you for sharing some of your personal memories. I too was brought up mainly by my grandparents.
Have a lovely Bearthday.
Yvonne xx

Frannyaitch said...

Happy Birthday Elizabeth. Your final piece makes me think of when you get so frustrated with a crackly line and start shaking and banging the handset to try and clear it. I guess this was one bang too far. Lol x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Happy Birthday dear Elizabeth! Thank you for sharing your family stories! Love the assemblage! Big hugs from Chris and Tony (who are having coffee at the famous Deux Magots! )

froebelsternchen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY "Dr E., Queen of Free"!
A wonderful assemblage - absolutely fantastic!

oxo Susi

nanskidrewski said...

Happy Birthday Elizabeth. Loved your reflections, so nice to learn a little of your personal story. Your book is awesome!

Jeanie said...

Your project is just fabulous and once again, I admire your technique, photo details and wonderful step-out instructions. Beautiful assemblage.

I really loved hearing about your grandparents. They sound like wonderful people and I think you must have been lucky indeed to learn from them during your childhood.

So glad you are joining the march. I think it will be very big! Meanwhile, Happy BearthDay!

Krisha said...

Happy Birthday my friend!!

Sandra Cox said...

Happy BearthDay, Elizabeth. Hope you celebrate to the max.
I got a Lenten Rose, in memory of my mom, and planted it in my garden for Earth Day.
The post was fascinating. It's great to get to know you better.Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize you had a doctorate. Kudos to you. I'm so impressed with folks that go all the way in education.I have a bachelors but I'm the only one in my immediate family that doesn't have a masters.

Pen Sunshinepen said...

Happy Bearthday to you Elizabeth. What a great blog. So interesting.

I too were called Dumb at School right up until the last year of School when they discovered I had Dyslexia. Not "herd" of in those days.

But in later life I have studies and have got Certificates in Sciences with the Open University. I can put letters after my name but choose not too.

Have a great day and look forward to your coming blogs

x

Cindy McMath said...

Happy bEARTHday dear Elizabeth! I hope you have a great day and that the march is inspiring and a bit of fun as well. Another wonderful recycling project. As you probably know, I have 'quite a few' supplies, but I also love looking for freebies and things that can be rescued from the landfill or recycling. You, however, have made it a much bigger part of your work and I admire you for it. Xo

Anonymous said...

Happy BearthDay, Elizabeth,
absolutely fantastic the Art ´!!!
Happy Day Elke

Caterina Giglio said...

you will now always be Dr. E to me!! love the whimsy of your assemblage! Happy Earth Day, Dr. E!! x

Birgit said...

Happy Birthday to you! It funny how schools and teachers were and it's sad because I think there are many people who are very intelligent but may have. A learning disability or simply need to learn in a different manner than the typical rote style. I applaud that you continued on and didn't listen to certain eachers. Your grandparents sound very loving and it's a shame her parents were so closed minded. I wish it still does not happen but I know it does. I love the cover you made and what a great way to reuse parts that would normally be thrown out.

My name is Erika. said...

From one nerdy person to another-Happy Happy Birthday. I hope the walk was magnificent in Wichita and you wore your shirt proudly. I love the circuit board you used-perfect! Hugs-Erika

Lowcarb team member said...

Just stopping by to wish you a Happy Birthday.

All the best Jan

Dianne said...

Oh Happy Bearthday Dr. E!! Lovely assemblage! Hope you had a wonderful day💜💐🌼

CJ Kennedy said...

I hope you enjoyed your bEarthday. I enjoyed the story you shared about your grandmother. Sometimes it's hard to believe certain attitudes, but we have to remember different time.

Your assemblage made me smile. The phone parts, cherub, and the sense of sounds all fit so well. I've often tried to think how to use leftover technology in art. The only thing I've done is repurposed disk drives as coasters.

Sami said...

Happy belated birthday Elizabeth.
What a sad story about your grandmother. And wonderful that you achieved a Ph.D. You should certainly be proud of it!

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

LOVE the post!!!!! Loved seeing your home. And if you will message me your address I will mail you something to fill your mail box!!!!! (blogger contact form on my blog or send it in a comment and I won't publish it) Happy Birthday too!!!!!

Let's Art Journal said...

Happy Birthday dear Elizabeth! Your grandparents were so amazing and sounded so loving too! Thank you for sharing your life growing up, it touched my heart - you sure did show them :-) . Your recycling project is awesome, love the cherub tissue paper! Happy Birthday wishes! J :-)

Darla said...

A very belated Happy Birthday. I've been thinking about you and waiting to get to the internet to see what you have been up to April is always such a great month for your posts.