Saturday, March 11, 2017

More drive by shots


If you live in the U.S., be sure to turn your clock ahead at 2:00 a.m. or before you go to bed tonight.  Sunday is only 23 hours long, so this will be a very short weekend.  It seems to be harder to adjust to this time change than when we set our clocks back in October.

The time change also involves Canada, the Bahamas, Bermuda, and certain parts of Mexico.   Most of the other countries turn their clocks ahead later in the month, mainly on March 26.  The rest of the world who observe daylight savings time (DST) set their clocks ahead on April 2.  Australia and New Zealand set their clocks back an hour on April 2.

Now let's head out again to see more of my city.  Here are more homes that look quite similar to mine.  It seems no matter where I go, these craftsman style houses are everywhere.  It shows how the city quickly grew around the 1920s, when this style home was popular. 

In the 1920s and 1930s, a number of successful aircraft manufacturing companies were started in Wichita including Beechcraft, Cessna, and Stearman Aircraft.  Because there was so much manufacturing, housing was needed and this is the most prevalent single family style of that era.





Some have changed their look considerably in order to stand out, or look unique.



Of course, some homes were built later in the same areas.


Note the different colored trash containers.

We are one of few cities where different trash companies are allowed to pick up trash in the same area.  Good for competition and keeping trash costs low.  Each company has its own color trash container.

Near the Big Arkansas River, a new installation was put in a few years ago.

There was a lot of controversy over it, because many thought these lights that change colors at night, were a waste of money the city didn't have.  I'm rather ambivalent about them, but most people either love or hate them.

The river is quite low because we have had no rain for over a month.   Several wild fires have burned many homes.  At least one person lost his life, and countless cattle have died or had to be put down due to smoke inhalation.

Yes, that is the river bed/bottom you see in the photo above.

I have always thought of this as an art installation, but someone told me it was part of the river system.  I think that person was all wet!


The road is diverted here.  The river is behind it.  This is part of the bike and walking path and it's an area with benches where you can sit and watch the river.





Later in the week I'll show one of the places Sally and I went last week.

But once home, I was over the moon with joy that I was starting to see some color in my yard.

Thanks for tripping with me today.  Most of the photos were taken last month before I got sick.  The hyacinths were photographed on Tuesday.

15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Interesting to see all the houses, and how some people have changed them. The river is really low. Here the Rhine is high because it has rained so much in the past days. Glad you now have something blooming in your garden, that's always cheering. Have a great day, take care of yourself, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

Love seeing the different style houses to where I live. Yours always make me think of a beach side development we lived in for a little while though the chalets weren't so big they were similar in style.There always seems to be a real feeling of space but I guess you have plenty og that in such a big country.

Thank you for sharing your photographs

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

I like those style of houses very much- great that you have the sights of spring in your garden! That makes one happy, am I right?!

Happy Sunday!
oxo Susi

kaybee said...

I do love your "travelogues" out and about where you live. Such beautiful blue skies too! Here in the UK our clocks don't go forward for another couple of weeks, but I'm looking forward to lighter evenings and some warm sunshine!

Pen Sunshinepen said...

Oh my - I have had a lovely travel around with you looking at your pictures. Really interesting to see... thank you so much for your wonderful journal of life with you.

Have a great day x

Nancy said...

Another enjoyable field trip! And sign of spring in your yard- yay.

CJ Kennedy said...

Loved the tour. I bet the river bike and walking path will be very pretty when the greening commences. Don't think that structure is part of the river system. Looks more like a pipe organ. How nice to see the hyacinths poking up. Hope you are feeling a little better each day

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks for explaining the industry and the reason why these homes are so different from those in my neck of the woods. Its really interesting to see areas can be so different- and that is a wonderful thing bout the world for sure. While you are in a drought, we are out of ours with all the bad weather we got this past winter- and there is still more to come on Tuesday.:( Spring is alluding us for certain. And I appreciate and relate to the comment you made about the book Hidden Figures on my last post. I agree, it is amazing in a country such as ours that people could be treated so poorly and yet give give so much. I think the book really made me realize how we weren't a true democracy, and probably still aren't for segments of the population, especially with all the hate out there right now. But on a happier note, I do really hope you are having a much warmer weekend than I am and hope its a great week ahead. Thanks for the views. I enjoyed them. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the porches :)

It's interesting to notice river levels (we're on a river here, too, and it makes a difference, doesn't it!), and it's so nice to have pedestrian walkways and seating along the river to enjoy.

Those art installations are big enough to stand out. love it!

Meggymay said...

More super drive by photos Elizabeth. I found it interesting to read a little of the area's history as well.
I didn't realise your times were altered as well as ours here in the Uk. it takes me days to get over the time change and its only an hour difference.
Hope you have a good week.
Yvonne xx

Anonymous said...

Cozy style homes all over, before the craze to get gigantic. Neighborhoods that probably enjoyed coffee on the porches for the Mom's and waiting at the bus stops and chatting together. Kids running around the neighborhoods and playing in the afternoons. Charming really. Maybe the river art has function and form as a sculpture, that would be neat. xox

Rita said...

Great tour. LOVE all the trees! :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

So happy to see those Hyacinths peeping through!! I am fascinated by the way some folks have changed their fronts! I love the style of your house. So sad to see the river so low - the Mersey is quite high here - the little island is almost covered again! It was good of you to be our very informative guide again! Hugs, Chrisx

Linda Kunsman said...

Thanks for another lovely and informative tour. We have a big mix of house styles in our area and I like that. We also have various trash companies and different colored containers but the city is trying to push for only having one hauler. I hope you get rain to fill up that river soon.

Jeanie said...

I always like it when you show your city! It's fun to see new places (and it gives me an idea for a post when the weather is better and I feel more like exploring!). Some pretty territory around there!