Saturday, March 25, 2017

Greece, Greece, Greece


Today I'm again joining Yvonne at Meggy's Way, this month's host at Art Journal Journey with her theme of Out and About.

Although Iceland was much warmer than most of us expected, it's time to head to a much warmer climate.  It's time to visit Greece and the various Greek Isles.

This is a very busy page, and the background I painted and chose to use makes it even more so.

We have many places to visit today in Greece.

We begin on the Greek island of Argostoli in the Ionian Islands which are in the Ionian Sea.  These islands sit on the western side of Greece. 

Katakolo is a seaside town in western Greece.  It sits on the western edge of the Ionian Sea.  The port of Katakolo is a popular place to see Olympia, the site of the original first ancient Olympic Games.  This shows one of the ruins and the various columns that have remained.  

There are over 50 sites at Olympia that are still partially standing and they are all at Katakolon.

Heraklion is the capital and largest city in Crete.  It is the fourth largest city in Greece.  Crete is an island to the south of mainland Greece.   One of the most visited areas is the Venetian fortress of Rocca al Mare which was built between 1523 and 1540.   The fortress, shown above, still guards the inner harbor.

Lindos is a city on the Island of Rhodes.  Here you see the archaeological site Lindos is famous for.  Its beaches, along with the leather goods, ceramics, and handmade jewelry the many shops are famous for, make it a popular tourist and holiday destination.

Kos is a Greek island in the Aegean Sea.  Tourism is the number one industry and occupation, with farming being the second. The primary crops are almonds, figs, olives, grapes, and tomatoes, along with wheat and corn.

A few random photos

show the background.


Please note I have quit laying a piece of white paper under the used file folder.  I think it was probably too distracting.  I'm trying to get better photos until I can once again get my scanner to make nice with my computer.

The background of my used file folder was covered with tons of paint, then swirled together and manipulated using a palette knife.  I found five images from various areas of Greece in many tourist magazines I looked through.  The images were backed with pink paper, then outlined in orange.  The cities were computer generated and printed on orange printer paper.   I hope you enjoyed today as we now start our imaginary trip to various parts of Greece.

Thanks so much for your visit today.  The good news here is it rained about an hour ago for the first time in nearly two months.  Not sure it lasted long enough to count for much moisture, but it felt good to breathe the fresh, not dusty air for a change.  Let's now head to Art Journal Journey to see what others experienced as they were out and about today. 

11 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page, the background is really beautiful. Greece is such a pretty place. Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

What a stunning way to make a dramatic background Elizabeth. Love the picture and nice to have a new place to visit today.

So you got some welcome rain and we got some very welcome sun the last few days so the weather is being kind to us.

Enjoy your weekend

Love Chrissie xx

Meggymay said...

You are an ace tour guide Elizabeth.
Greece is somewhere I have never thought I would like to visit, it always seemed a tourist destination and I am not one for crowds of people. However your page is showing how beautiful the islands are and I think I am going to love this journey out and about.
A fabulous page and an amazing background, the texture you got with the thick paint looks great.
Thank you for all these inspiring pages you are adding to my theme choice for this month at AJJ.
Yvonne xx.

froebelsternchen said...

A pretty page dear Elizabeth! Brings wonderful memories to my mind - I used to spend many vacations in Greece - just the best memories for me.
Thank you for another fantastic Out and About entry Elizabeth!
Happy Saturday!
oxo Susi

My name is Erika. said...

I have always wanted to go to Greece and really enjoyed seeing this page. I like the background. If feels very classical-like I think of classical Greek architecture and myths and all those things you learn in school. It was a great place to think of visiting for AJJ. Thanks for taking us today. I really enjoyed the trip, and needed someplace warmer than here-we got 4 inches of snow yesterday and i can't take it any more. :) Hope you get a little more rain to calm the dust-that is just as bad as snow I think. Happy weekend. HUgs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Ah, Greece. A bucket list destination. A perfect armchair visit on this dreary, grey day. Your background reminds me of the sea swirling and crashing against the rock coasts and beaches.

Sami said...

Oh now it's much warmer in Greece than it was in Iceland, I like that!
I've been to Heraklion in Crete many years ago, but not to any of the other cities mentioned in your post.
I enjoyed your background to the photos.
Have a lovely weekend Elizabeth.

Jeanie said...

I like your paint-swirling technique. It really is effective in giving the feel of the Ocean. I think I'll enjoy following you on your Grecian journey! And I'm glad you liked the Easter banner! It's a fun one to make (and that crepe paper was to die for!)

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoyed both these posts about Greece. That may be at the top of my list for places I've never been but would love to go. Thanks for the virtual trip :)

Cindy McMath said...

Your background in this piece is beautiful Elizabeth, and really sets off the photos. Again I'm enjoying learning about these places as we travel through your book. As an aside, I agree that the wood background makes a better photo than the white sheet. :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! It looks to me as though your background would be a star on it's own! I think it would be quite a trip to see all those places so it's good to see them here! Hugs, Chrisx