Thursday, January 5, 2017

Getting the jump on Chinese New Year


Today I'm joining Moo-Mania and More and their latest challenge which is Asia.

Right now, I'm sharing these from my camera, and working from my old, slow computer.   My old scanner is gone, and my new one won't talk to my old computer.   I'm sure once my new computer is back and all the glitches are worked out, you'll never hear anything from me again on this matter.

Until then, you may have to put up with my handwriting, rather than computer generated (and printed) words.

This is the year of the Rooster (or cock), but you'll have to pretend because this hen was all I could find in the chicken family.

Some of you asked what a tip-in is.  Quickly, it's a page you add to your altered book, either by gluing it in, or adding it in a binder.  Both sides are always decorated, and it's a bit like a double sided scrapbook or altered book page, except it is a page that is decorated on both sides.  When I started making art, I made more tip-ins than anything else.  They are far easier to send to people because the cost of postage is less.  In case the art gets lost, you don't lose an entire book if you are in a round robin.

Although it appears i made a spread last year for Moo-Mania, rather than a tip in, this is the one I made for 2015.

This is the tip-in I made for 2014,

the Year of the Horse.

This tip-in is from 2010,

and was the Year of the Tiger.  Note the amount of room I left on the "gutter" side so these pages could be added to a book, captured in a binding machine, or punched so rings could be added.

I have more, but won't bore you with them.  Thanks for visiting, and please visit the very talented artists at Moo-Mania and More for even more Asian entries.

12 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry your computer is still making problems, and hope that sooner or later computer, scanner etc will all be talking to each other and working for you! I love your new tip-in and the older ones you showed are lovely, too, so thanks for joining us at Moo Mania. Have a lovely day, keep warm, and have fun! Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

These are great Elizabeth. I'm almost done with an Asian page myself. Something about making pages with this theme at this time of year! I love the look back too! I guess you don't get everything connected last night with your computer, hopefully it will be soon. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Gong Hey Fat Choy! Fun pages! Hope you get your computer sorted out soon

froebelsternchen said...

Great new page - Thank you very much for joining Moo Mania & More again Elizabeth!
You are an Asia -tip in- Queen as I can see how many entries you have made !
Hope all works well with your equippment soon!
Happy Thursday!
oxo Susi

Linda Kunsman said...

Loving your new page as well as the others! I do have a nice supply of Chinese fodder so I must get something in for this theme. Hope all computer issues will be back to 100% real soon.

Divers and Sundry said...

"won't bore you with them"?! You're kidding, right? I love your colors :)

Meggymay said...

Fabulous Asian pages. I love the bright colours , it must be good to browse your book with all of them in one place to enjoy.
Yvonne xx

Michele said...

such gorgeous book pages you've made! love this! xo

Rike said...

Wow - you made so many beautiful Asia-pages, also the years before! Now I can imagine what a tip-in is, I never heard about.
Rike x

Jeanie said...

These are just filled with color and happiness. Tons of pages but all so nice! There is something about the unabashed use of color in Chinese art that sort of makes my heart squeal with delight.

In reply to your comment -- Myheritage.com is free for the first 250 people you add to your family tree. I will probably go to pay when I get as much of the basic research done as I can but I've been doing it for about a year. I'm just keeping my "tree" to the direct line of my family and except for the generations after and before not adding so many "second cousins twice removed" people to keep the numbers down and make it easier for me to manage. Basically, having birthdates for your parents and grandparents if you have them are the best starts and birthplaces help if you know, even the state. And there are other free sources for census data, where I found out about other brothers and sisters way back. Google is great but email me if you decide to do this and I can set you off on some free ways to begin with.

Claudia W | ImagesByCW said...

Love all your Asian pages, most of all 2017 and 2015. Still no computer, huh?! Hmm, maybe you can 'bribe' Scott? :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

What fabulous pages Elizabeth - I am afraid there's nothing from me for Moo Mania - it's a topic I struggle with - don't know why as I love Asian art! I loved seeing these pages too! Chrisx