Monday, December 5, 2016

T Stands For Chasing the Christmas Blahs


Several of my art pieces I made as gifts have not worked out as I wanted, plus, I haven't even started looking for ideas for a Second Thursday Tutorial, which will be due in two days.  

It's this time of year when we can become overwhelmed

with cooking

and decorating.  To get rid of those blahs, the best thing is

a double dose of chocolate!

This eclair that I got at the bakery is touted as being "New York Style."  Since I've never had an eclair in New York, I will just have to take their word for it.

This, however, is my own blend of hot chocolate and it is so good, I could drink it all day long.  Of course, if I did, I would be fatter than a hippo.

I start with Mexican chocolate I get at the specialty store, add Mexican vanilla, 1/2 and 1/2 (did I fail to mention this is not only decadent, but very fattening, too?) and cook on low heat in a double boiler until the chocolate is blended and the cocoa is hot.  Once in your favorite mug, or cup, add a dollop of freshly whipped cream (please don't use that nasty hydrogenated oil whipped cream substitute) and an optional candy cane.

Drink it quickly before the candy cane melts and slides to the bottom of the cup (please don't ask how I know!).

Now it's your turn to share your drink related post.   Any post is acceptable as long as you can relate it, in some way, back to a drink.  Think postcard, movie, fine art, poster art, sketches, digital, hybrid, or traditional art, unique teapots, your garden, or take us with you as you go out and about.   Photos do not have to be taken on Tuesday, but you must link below (direct links only, please) to ensure Bleubeard, the "T" gang, and I visit.  Or drop by to say hello and consider joining us for this weekly event this week or in the future.  We'd love to have you. 


29 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your Christmas decorations and china look good, and although I am a coffee lover, I would gladly join you in a mug of your chocolate and an eclair. I've never heard of New York style, they look the same here! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Hi Elizabeth,

This is my 1st time linking, so I hope I got it right. Thanks for having me ;-)

You feel like you're behind but you're way ahead of me! The fall wreath and Thanksgiving decorations are still up at our house. Your table setting is lovely and what you put on that festive plate and in that cup look so divine that I can almost smell the chocolate.

"New York style eclair" makes me wonder what other style there might be. I never saw/ate any other kind when we lived in NY, NJ, WI, TX or even Mexico. Marketing hype - lol.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, a double chocolate hit and a peppermint stick sounds like a great way to destress and something very special for Christmas! Your table looks so festive and is the perfect setting to enjoy your treat :-). Thanks for sharing your recipe sounds, it looks so delicious and decadent! Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J :-)

Lisca said...

Oh yum! That chocolate certainly sounds divine. It is past midnight here and it is time for hot chocolate, but I can't make it the way you do. I'd love to have a sip of yours. My mouth waters. The eclair looks delicious. The New York nomer is just marketing as eclairs in Europe look just the same....
I love how you decorated your room. You always have such lovely special stuff. The place mat is very beautiful.
Please don't get overwhelmed with it all. You do as much or as little as you want. If you miss the tutorial, just write a little message: " sorry, missed it".
I haven't even started on my cards yet. And I might decide not to send any cards. I only send them to people that are not online. Perhaps I will just give them a phone call. It might be cheaper with the high cost of postage, and will in most cases be appreciated more than a card.
I'm going to bed now,
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love how you have set your table! Chocolate eclairs - NY style or any other with cream are one of the cakes with less sugar than most cakes so are an occasional treat but Oh Elizabeth! that hot chocolate sounds delicious but I certainly can't even think of having a taste! Big Hugs, Chrisx

Divers and Sundry said...

Oh, yes! That's delightful. I don't know what makes a chocolate eclair a New York one, but I'll eat a chocolate eclair however it comes ;) Happy T Tuesday!

Birgit said...

Love your little tree and the hot coca sounds delicious. Real whipping cream is o lay used I. This household too. I also never make hot cocoa with water, only milk. I buy Bols egg liqueur which is Dutch made probably with 5,000 eggs:) I put some chocolate shaving on the top and it is good!

Krisha said...

Lovely to see your Christmas china out and being used. An éclair would be really good about now too. I rarely drink hot cocoa, but yours does look tempting enough to take a sip.
Happy T-day

My name is Erika. said...

You're table is looking so festive and cheery Elizabeth, and your coco sounds just delicious. I have never made homemade coco, and I think I should because that powdered just add water coco is not good at all. I like the idea of the candy cane put in too because peppermint is only good with some chocolate. :) And I have never heard of a NY eclair either. Did it taste any different from a regular eclair? I hope that cheers you up and gets rid of the holiday blahs. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

Carol said...

OK ! Now you've done it !!! I won't be able to get that hot chocolate out of my mind... I'll have to go and make some... I do have the Mexican chocolate but I'll have to settle for my own homemade vanilla. You house sure looks nice all CHRISTMAS'ed up ♥♥♥♥♥

froebelsternchen said...

An eclair and hot chocolate for me too please!!!
Amazing decorations Elizabeth!
Happy T-Day my friend!
oxo Susi

Helen said...

looks like a regular chocolate eclair to me, but I'll take it, and the hot chocolate/cocoa too, but no whipped cream on top for me, I really don't like that addition. however, your china looks very festive. I don't have any special china for this time of year.

johanna said...

i just got up from bed and now this chocolate would be the best Thing i can imagine:)
öove the dish and the mat behind the plate - wish i could see the face of santa, too;) today we are celebrating st nikolaus here, the children had their shoes out to be filled over night (well, not my children, they are no longer living here;)).

have a beautiful week, elizabeth. here it is chilly cold, but today it seems as the sun will come through the fog.

Rita said...

I think I need double chocolate, too. ;)

Meggymay said...

Oh yummy, an eclair with a chocolate drink, I will pull up a chair for those.
Love your Christmas plates and mug, the house looks very festive with your tree and other decorations.
Happy T day
Yvonne xx

NatureFootstep said...

I have spent too many christmas´es so I am doing as little as possible :) I will cook some of the food but nothing else.

jinxxxygirl said...

What a festive table you set Elizabeth. An eclair is my favoriet doughnut! Filled with Bavarian Cream... I have no idea what a NY style one would be or if its any different than what i'm used to... But it looks yummy! Much better than my oatmeal this morning...lol Gorgeous table! Happy happy Tday! Hugs! deb

Darla said...

Your table setting is pretty, the chocolate looks delicious. It doesn't sound like you have the blah's at all. The season is certainly upon us - I'll wait to panic until about the 23rd though.

CJ Kennedy said...

I think sometimes, especially at this time of year, we put so many expectations on ourselves. The perfect gifts, the perfect foods, the perfectly cleaned house, perfect decorations. I like your idea of taking a step back. A break from the frenzy. Your table setting is so warm and inviting. I've never heard of a NY style eclair, either. No matter, that looks so delicious. Sadly, hot cocoa comes out of an envelope and is made with water. As to the nasty, tub of whipped topping, I bought some at Thanksgiving because I need the tub for a class I'll be taking. :-D Enjoy your day!

Claudia W | ImagesByCW said...

OMG your chocolate - could I have some, please?! It sounds soooo delicious. I do like a double dose (or triple?) of chocolate, can you tell?
Christmas can get a bit overwhelming, I agree, more so when you have a big family and kids. Time to focus on what is important.

p.s. I am still catching up, had computer issues over the weekend, how about you? I would never be able to post daily...

Meggymay said...

I'm back again to mention that I made my first postal size guide and it was my best friend. The current one I have, was given away free by the Post Office a few years ago, So many folk asked for them at the time, I don't think they do it anymore...shame, it saves a lot of time.
Yvonne xx

Halle said...

Oh that is a decadent hot chocolate. I totally agree that this time of year it's super easy to get overwhelmed. Take care and relax a bit. Things have a way of working out in the end.

Sandra Cox said...

Your cocoa sounds wonderfully decadent.

Anonymous said...

what a lovely cosy house with that lovely tree and candy cup

Nancy said...

Festive- check. Rich and delicious- check. Blah beating- check. That eclair looks like a standard one to me- was not aware that there were NY style ones. But yum!

Cazzy said...

Oh how lovely and Christmassy and cosy! I can't get into the Christmas mood at all, but I better try soon for the family.
I think my son will come and get the decorations down soon to put up. I use ground vanilla, I hope that isn't fattening lol.

Carol

Jeanie said...

A double dose of chocolate always sounds good to me -- and this post reminds me that I have some Mexican hot chocolate in my cupboard. Dinner!

Looks pretty, Elizabeth. Relax and don't panic, OK. Tis the season and it can make us crazy!

Rike said...

I have made a mistake - I posted into your Link, but I have no photo of my drink, but a drawing. I am not able to delete my Linking - please do it for me.
Rike x

Rike said...

Thank you, Elizabeth, for your nice comment on my blog, and that my linking is ok!
Rike x