Monday, October 10, 2016

T Stands For Sally, Sully, and More


As promised, I'm going to begin this T post with Sully.

I realize it's a movie about an event that many of us remember, but I know, after talking to some of the people who left the theater the same time Sally and I did, most of them remember it better than I.  It seems to have surprised several people.  Of course, Sally and I both enjoyed it, but I know for a fact, I enjoyed it far more than she did.

I hadn't planned to reveal the plot, but it appears Wikipedia has done so already.  So why, you ask, did I appreciate it more than Sally?  Well, it certainly was NOT because it was in IMAX.  I'm not sure what I expected of IMAX, but it wasn't all that impressive to me.

What DID impress me was the plot line.  Sully, or for those of you who are unfamiliar with the heroic efforts of Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger (played brilliantly by Tom Hanks), landed a commuter jet on the Hudson River, where all 155 passengers and crew survived with only minor injuries.  All were rescued within less than 30 minutes by crews from the New York Fire Department who sent skilled divers, the NY Police Department, US Coast Guard, and several local waterways and sightseeing cruise liners.

Suffering from PTSD, Sully has numerous dreams where he plows his aircraft into one of the buildings in New York City, reminiscent of the 9/11 attacks.  Although called a hero by many, he claimed he didn't feel like one.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) attempted to claim the plane crashed due to pilot error, not Canada geese hitting both engines and disabling them.  The NTSB originally claimed one of the engines was functional, although later it was removed from the Hudson and shown to have been disabled, too.

However, the reason I fell in love with this movie was toward the end, where simulator pilots, after knowing what was going to happen, were successful (after a number of crashes) in landing at both local airports.  Sully countered that the simulations were unrealistic, and didn't take into account the HUMAN FACTOR.  Those who know me, know my Ph.D. is in Human Factors, a discipline described as
the scientific discipline concerned with the understanding of interactions among humans and other elements of a system, and the profession that applies theory, principles, data and methods to design in order to optimize human well-being and overall system performance.
The degree crosses many disciplines, including psychology, engineering, kinesiology biomechanics, industrial design, statistics, methodology, physiology, cognition, and anthropometry.

The NTSB allowed an additional 35 seconds for the human factor to take effect, and when that time was allowed, neither simulator could land their aircraft at either airport, but crashed over and over.

At the end of the movie, it showed Sully (not Tom Hanks) reunited with many of the survivors of the aircraft at the Carolinas Aviation Museum in Charlotte, North Carolina.

So although I have no idea why IMAX is such a big deal, I loved the movie more than most will ever know.  It just confirms why I went to school and got such a useful degree.

After the movie, I insisted I take Sally to dinner, since it was too late for the lunch crowd.  She picked the restaurant.  After all, she had paid for those overpriced IMAX tickets.

Reminiscent of photos taken by both Valerie and Helen, the busy late afternoon traffic and static buildings made a great reflection against the restaurant's name and hours of operation.

I got a little carried away

taking photos

of the menu.

You can see my choice is Chili Rellenos.

I was glad I only got one, which included beans, rice, and three flour tortillas.  I also had them hold the horrible mole, which I can't seem to like, no matter how often restaurants try to include it.

Sally ordered the flauta dinner, which included sour cream and her choice of beans or rice.  She also combined two sauces, mild and hot.

I, on the other hand, chose only mild sauce to go with my chips.  It was also about that time I realized I needed to take a photo of my drink which was water with lemon.  Sally had the same.

Look who was waiting for me when I got home.    He had missed me.  Squiggles had been pretty much pushed aside during September, when Bleubeard and I hosted Art Journal Journey.  That's why I decided he was worth mentioning photographing today.

Now it's your turn to share a drink related post.  It can be about anything, including a movie (one with a drink in it, not one where the actors land in the drink), postcard, art of any kind including digital, hybrid, or traditional, vignettes, cups, mugs, or even out and about as Sally and I were.  Then, please link your post (not your blog in general, please) and Bleubeard, Squiggles, and I, along with the rest of the T crowd, will be by to visit.



23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you enjoyed the film, it sounds like a great plot. I remember that event well. You evidently studied something more useful than I did to get my degree! The food at the restaurant looks good, I'm sure you didn't go away hungry. Love the photo with the reflections! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

LOVE that photo of Bleubeard, he's a very handsome fellow!

Krisha said...

so glad you enjoyed the movie....I kind of skipped your description and the plot because I haven't seen it yet.........and barely remember it is real life.

The Mexican food looks really good....you know how I love Mexican...LOL!

Happy T-day

Let's Art Journal said...

Great movie choice, I remember the commuter jet landing on the Hudson River and I think I would enjoy the film plot too - Sully is one amazing man! Sally's restaurant choice is marvellous, I love mexican food and it looks so delicious! Squiggles is very handsome, lovely photo :-). Wishing you a Happy T Day! J :-)

Carol said...

That movie is definitely on my to watch list!!! You food looks so good!!! I love a good Mexican restaurant and food ♥♥♥

pearshapedcrafting said...

I saw the poster for Sully when we went to the cinema last week - looking forward to seeing it! We are off to see Tarzan tomorrow! The only thing I found about IMAX is that is seems very loud! The food looks delicious - it's a long time since we had a Mexican style restaurant around here! I do believe Squiggles is getting more handsome as he becomes older! Hugs, Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

First of all, it is wonderful to see Squiggles. I always laugh when cats miss someone. Seeing most of the time they are not that needy. Well at least some cats. I know some cats are so needy- I had one of those. And I miss him now that he is gone. But I have had those oh so independent cats before too. Anyhow, I think your PhD sounds interesting. I have never heard of this course of studies before, and it is really cool. I love when I see things that I can intellectually connect to. And your dinner looks yummy. I love Mexican food. I think you and Sally had a good visit. Glad you shared some of it with us. Happy T Day. Erika

johanna said...

i did not see that movie, but remember the accident very well (my b.i.l. was in new York on this day by Chance and could see it... shiver...)
squiggles is such a handsome guy and you really got a good photo of him. worth to Frame!
have a nice week, elizabeth!

Meggymay said...

I remember reading about that accident, it took over many of our news programs at the time. Please you enjoyed the film. Your meal looks delicious, they provide you with such good size portions, I'm sure you both enjoyed your day.
Its a lovely photo of Squiggles, he's just as handsome as Bleubeard.
Happy T day
Yvonne xx

Meggymay said...

Sorry about the double entry
Number !0 is the correct link and i couldn't work out how to delete the one that was wrong
Yvonne x

Lisca said...

I also remember this plane crash on the news. But I didn't know a lot about it. It's great that they made a film about it and Tom Hanks is such a good actor and a nice man too.
What an interesting PhD you have done. I had never heard of that discipline.Have you ever been able to use it in your line of work? I studied geology (Earth Science) but then became a palliative care nurse!
I have been to IMAX theatres in the past (before 3D). And I must say that I did like it a lot. Yes, it was loud (someone else commented that). But when 3D came out, Imax is no longer so special.
The Mexican food looks nice although we are not very familiar with the dishes. What is a mole? (which you do not like)
What a lovely photo of Squiggles! He is beautiful! And deserves a photo certainly.
Happy T-Day,
CU next week,
Lisca

froebelsternchen said...

That movie must be very interesting! In Austria the cinema start is on 1. December - but I think I will wait - once it will come on TV for sure. Yes I remember that - but not very well. The Mexican food looks very yummie - but not for me today - I feel a bit bad since yesterday - think a flue like infektion which makes me a bit feeling ill. I will take carrot soup I think!
Squiggles looks handsome on this photo!
Beautiful boy!
Happy T-Day dear Elizabeth!
oxo Susi

Linda Kunsman said...

I have not sen the film nor have been to an IMAX theater. Once the movie is released on DVD I'll make sure to see it-thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. Love Mexican food and your dinner looks delicious-and enough for more than one meal-wow!
Thanks for sharing Squigggles-what a sweetie. Happy T day!

~*~Patty S said...

What a great photo of your handsome Squiggles!
Glad you enjoyed Sully.
I have heard good things about the film.
I'm with you on IMAX films. Any time I've been to one it seemed to loud and and in my face. I am content with just a nice big movie screen sitting toward the back.
Cholita's has a nice ring to it and it looks like you and Sally had a nice meal there. Yummy!
Happy T Day and crisp and cool Virginia oxo

Darla said...

Haven't seen the film but "Sully" but it sounds like a good one. He, his wife and his family are well known here as they live in the Bay Area. Your meal looks great. I like Mexican food and there are lots of places to get it in our area.

Sami said...

Your Squiggles is so pretty!
I haven't yet seen the movie, but I can remember the event too!
I like Mexican food too, my favourite being the Tacos.

Halle said...

Oh my goodness...Squiggles has gotten so big! And so handsome. That movie sounds very interesting. I love Mexican food...making me hungry for our local authentic place. YUM!

Jeanie said...

Nothing beats sweet kitty greetings! And that dinner -- yow! Looks fabulous.

Sully is still on my list, but I never seem to get to the movie list. Who knows why?!

jinxxxygirl said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the movie so much... I want to see it too but will no doubt wait until it comes out on video... IMAX... I really think you have to be picky about the movies you see on an IMAX to get the maximum effect.. Something with alot of movement... think helicopter flying...swooping around and up and under things... thats where IMAX really shines....Ideally a movie specifically geared toward IMAX....

Your food looks wonderful Elizabeth. Its been awhile since i've had a good Mexican meal... must remedy that! :)Happy happy T day Hugs! deb

Caterina Giglio said...

Yay! I finally made it over to your place to have T! Thanks for the run down on the movie, I won't see it, way too exciting for me, but I did hear that Hanks was really good. And you found time for a yummy dinner.. looked like a great time.. X

sheila 77 said...

The film sounds very moving, how awful that people tried to make out that Sully could have done better; easy to say safely sitting in an armchair.
I'm glad I caught up with this blogpost as I wouldn't have liked to have missed a Squiggles photo. As you know, I am a great fan of Squiggles, so could you give him a little stroke and let him know it is from Scotland?

Anonymous said...

Since I am afraid of heights I would skip the IMAX as they make me a bit crazy. Glad you liked the movie though. So typical that saving all those lives put him through crazy hell afterwords. Squiggles is adorable. Thanks for sharing his pic. Missed seeing him. xox

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't tend towards movies about real-life events, so I'm not planning to see Sully. The Magnificent 7 remake, on the other hand.... ;)

Your Mexican food is right down my alley. Always a favorite :)