Sunday, July 3, 2016

Welcome to Independence Day at my place

In case you missed yesterday's post, I have no telephone OR internet (both are served by AT&T).  Using Sally's phone, I called AT&T, but due to the three day holiday, they can't send anyone out until Tuesday between 2 pm and 4 pm.  So, those of you signing up for T will have to get by without me until they figure out what is wrong with my phone and internet.  I fear it's due to all the rain, but I can't be sure.  I promise to drop by just as soon as I'm back online.

On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence while meeting in Philadelphia. Pa. at what is now Independence Hall. They declared the American colonies were now considered free and independent states.  Today is America's 240th Independence Day.

Independence Day is a national holiday.  All federal and state agencies are closed, as are many local government agencies.  Independence Day is well known for barbecuing, specifically hot dogs, and setting off fireworks.  Other events include parades, many patriotic, and family picnics.

It's also a time for friends and family to gather, and since I have no family, I will be entertaining a few friends.

If you're driving (and all my friends will be) this is what you'll see from the street.

I've set out some flags so you know which house is mine. Of course, my house doesn't look like any others on the block, so you shouldn't have an trouble finding it.

Come on up and join me on the porch.

If I'm not outside waiting for you to arrive, please ring the doorbell.

Feel free to pick a spot to sit.

If you're a smoker, feel free to sit here.  I've moved the ashtray so it's no longer on the wicker table.

I'm really in a stars and stripes mood.

Feel free to light the candles.  They won't be around after tonight, anyway.

The hazards of being a smoker (or sitting in the smoking chair) means you get a very uncomfortable seat and a cushion that needs to be recovered.

I'll bring you a drink so we can sit and talk, light some candles, and enjoy the fireworks later tonight.  Happy Independence Day dear United States.  Happy Independence Day dear US friends, readers, and followers.

For all my dear international friends, I hope you have a lovely Monday.  I appreciate your visit, even though this is definitely and strictly an American holiday.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Have a wonderful day Elizabeth, and hope you and your guests have fun and can celebrate to your heart's content. Sorry that your Internet connection has deserted you, that is not good, and I hope they get it sorted tomorrow when they are able to visit. Happy Independence Day! Hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

Happy July 4th. Your home looks so inviting for your guests.

kaybee said...

Happy 4th July! Your porch looks so inviting ...

Pen Sunshinepen said...

Morning and happy Independence day. Just love your photos today and I feel as if I am there with you, and I wish I was.

Crafty hugs Pen x

Sami said...

Have a wonderful get-together with your friends and enjoy your Independence day holiday.
Hope you get your phone and internet back soon Elizabeth! How did people cope without those things many years ago?

hazel said...

Happy 4th July, your home looks so inviting, I love the uncomfortable smokers chair.
xxx Hazel.

My name is Erika. said...

Happy July 4th Elizabeth. Your porch is looking festive and ready. Enjoy those fireworks. Hugs erika

Darla said...

Happy 4th of July. Your porch is quite like ours at the River House. I need to borrow those peacock chairs! Looks like your guests will have a wonderful time. Hope your get your connection problems settled soon.

froebelsternchen said...

Fabulous decoration for this day Elzabeth!
Enjoy and good luck with the inet!

oxo Susi
Happy 4th July!

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy 4th! I'm joining your lovely yard in spirit :) Thx for sharing these scenes.

We finally switched our internet from AT&T to cable because of the constant outages. And we had sworn we'd _never_ go back to cable.... :( When we cancelled with AT&T, the customer service person asked us if we would stay with them if they lowered the price. We said, "We'd stay with you no matter what the price if you'd just provide reliable access." Alas, they couldn't manage that :( I wish you better luck than we had.

Dianne said...

Happy Independence Day to you too dear friend! Your porch looks festive and inviting. Enjoy your friends and the fireworks, and maybe even forget about the phone! ;)

Dianne said...

Happy Independence Day to you too dear friend! Your porch looks festive and inviting. Enjoy your friends and the fireworks, and maybe even forget about the phone! ;)

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

I just cannot believe how charming your home is. That porch! All the green (rain is good for something). Everything looks wonderful and I wish I could come over. Happy 4th! (Hope you get your phone and internet back soon too).

Meggymay said...

Hope you are having a lovely day with your friends. Your house looks so welcoming and festive.
Good luck with the net.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Happy Independence Day Elizabeth! Your porch look very welcoming - I think I could sit here for quite awhile watching the goings on in the neighbourhood! Do you sit here much? Hope your phone gets sorted soon! Hugs, Chrisx

Unknown said...

Looks very lovely.

~*~Patty S said...

Hope you had a great fourth celebration E.
Love the red white and blue!
You are rocking it.
Your yard and porch look so nice.
oxo

Let's Art Journal said...

Happy belated 4th of July! Your decorations are fab, hope you had a fantastic day :-)

Jeanie said...

Oh, I wish I lived in a house that looked like yours! It's just charming and it looks especially July 4 Perfect!

Thanks for coming by the Gypsy. I'm glad you enjoyed the road trip to the Carolinas!