Saturday, May 28, 2016

Let's go to the Russian ballet


Before I get to my art, I just want to say as of Friday night, I have experienced 12 consecutive days of rain, often accompanied by hail, high winds, and on eight separate occasions, been under a tornado warning or watch.  My electricity has gone out twice since Tuesday and my internet is on the fritz.  I've had TWO floods in my basement and the rain just keeps coming.  I say all that in case I don't manage to visit you today. Thanks in advance for understanding.  Now for the art.

I'm once again joining Art Journal Journey where my dear friend Erika, aka BioArtGal, this month's host, chose "Journeys" as the theme.
Since the ballet is always accompanied by music, I'm also joining Try it on Tuesday where their theme is "I can hear the music."

It's amazing how many St. Petersburg, Russia travel brochures feature the ballet.

This is apparently something you do not want to miss if you actually travel to Russia.

Materials include a used file folder that I colored by applying three acrylic paints using a faux credit card.  To that I sewed around the page and added pictures from five different travel brochures.  I wrote the sentiment using a Sharpie on a strip of vintage sheet music.

I hope to see you at Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesday.  Thanks as always for your continued support of my art.  It means the world to me.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Another wonderful page, the Russian ballet is always magnificent. Sorry you are suffering such bad weather conditions, I sincerely hope that it soon gets better. Take care, stay safe! Hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

And of course, thanks for joining us at TIOT and at AJJ, much appreciated! Hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

First I want to tell you that I am thinking of you and hope that your weather soon gets better. I am sorry to hear that you have to struggle such bad weather just now!
This page is simply BEAUTIFUL dear Elizabeth and I say thank you for entering it into AJJ and TioT's !
Happy day and good luck for the weather getting better!
oxo Susi

~*~Patty S said...

I have been thinking of you with all of the serious weather reports.
Stay safe and sorry for your troubles E.
You have certainly captured the magnificent Russian Ballet beautifully in this piece. I can almost hear the swish of the costumes and tapping of the ballet slippers.
Sending all good thoughts your way ♥
oxo

My name is Erika. said...

Oh my, it wasn't just one tornado near you, was it? Sounds like a lousy week. Sorry to hear that. But on the good note, I love your page today. Adding the ballet is a really clever idea. Stay safe. I think you have a basement, don't you? I'm sending good weather vibes your way. Hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

I just read your comment on my post and wanted to respond. So interesting. They did the 4 days at my daughter's school when she was back in high school, but only for 1 year. Not sure if worked or if they just upped our taxes to pay for a regular year. In NH we don't have any state taxes (except on high bank accounts) (but no state income or sales taxes) so school are really run by districts. We have high property taxes to run all these services. And our services are probably less than lots of places. But I find it interesting how states run education is so many states. :) Erika (Oh bet those kids love getting and extra week of vacation.)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth, I read about the storms and wondered how you were getting on! If I could only pop round and help you mop up…..
I adore this page, I have only seen ballet on the TV but would love to attend a performance of the Russian Ballet Company! So pleased you linked again to Try It On Tuesday ( I realised I hadn't thanked you for your fabulous distant lands Music page - so sorry!)
I do hope the rain stops soon - take care! Big Hugs, Chrisxx

Krisha said...

Oh Dear, such bad weather throughout the mid states. I had wondered if you were in line for all the tornadoes they have been showing on the weather. I remember living through them as a kid and many prayers were uttered for all my blog friends. Sorry to hear your basement took a beating twice!

You ballet page is just lovely. I'm like Chris, never been to a live performance, but it has always been a dream of mine.

Hope you Memorial weekend is much dryer and safe.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

What a wonderful page! Love it. And 12 days of rain???? Wow. Don't worry about visiting my blog because I haven't posted lately. I am fed up with getting so few comments I have given it a rest...love the page & hope you see some sunshine soon....

Divers and Sundry said...

We've had too much rain, too, but nothing that can compare with yours. I'm glad you can find joy in your art, because all that non-stop dreary rain could drive one mad otherwise :(

I hope sunshine is in your near future!

Marjut said...

Lovely page. Thank you for joining us at TioT.

Karla B said...

Such a lovely page, my friend!I love ballet!It's an incredible art.

AiyanaKalyna said...

I am a huge fan of Ballet, especially the Russian Ballet houses. Your page is beautiful.

I have been thinking of you too with all our horrible rain. I am so sorry about your basement and power outages. I hope nothing was damaged. Your cats are content and happy. One of my cats is freaked out by all the storms and is sticking to me like glue. May is almost over. :) I wonder what June will bring us for this crazy weather? Did you know Joplin tornado has been five years? It seems like yesterday I listened to the helicopters fly over my home all night long bringing people to our hospital. Joplin is our sister city here. I remember your posts about Joplin.

My blog posts will be up in July, at the latest. I have been very ill this month, and the bad weather headaches that I have to wait to do my online things I was looking forward too. Least something too look forward to in July. :)

Rita said...

Man! Have you ever had the bad weather and bad basement!! No electricity and no internet, to boot! I sure hope things clear up your way soon. I'm amazed you have had time to play. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like really wacky weather, glad you are okay. But oh it's so hot where you are. It was 88 yesterday and today it's 58. New England wait a minute! xox

Dianne said...

oh man. hail and tornadoes. yikes!... the ballet images are so pretty, but I really have to say I don't think our legs and toes are meant to do that!! I guess that's why it's an art...I think they are athletes really. love your page! a unique interpretation of the journey theme...♥
hope the weather settles down for you too.

Jeanie said...

I'm so sorry you have been on the bad side of the weather, winds and rain. Certainly the ballet is a beautiful diversion.

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page with such beautiful images,
Hope your weather has improved by now.
Thanks for sharing with us at TioT
Avril x

Meggymay said...

Another wonderful music page for the TioT's theme, I love the ballet, although I have only ever seen one live performance. Swan lake and the memories have lasted for many many years.
Yvonne xx
I know this is very late , I do hope your weather is much improved by now.