Thursday, March 24, 2016

A rusty update

I apologize that I have not shown these on my blog.  I have had these photos for several weeks, and am just now sharing them with you, even though I promised I'd show them when everything was finished rusting.

For those who don't remember what I rusted, I decided to show the pieces before I pulled everything apart.    The first rusty tin can practically fell away from the fabric as I was removing it from the bag, but everything else was still intact.  For some reason, I don't show the completed paper I rusted.  Maybe it is because I was a bit underwhelmed by it all.

As an aside, if you rust PAPER, in order to stop the rusting process and make it safe for you to handle the finished piece, please use a sealer of some type.  It could be a purchased sealer, a fixative, or cheap aerosol hairspray.  For fixing fabric, of course, you know I use baking soda and water.  And I always wear disposable gloves until after the final rinse or until after BOTH sides of the paper have been sprayed and dried.

It took a bit of manipulating, especially since most gloves I buy are too big for me, but I finally got the rusty wire off

this pipe.

I was shocked, yes SHOCKED, when I opened the fabric that I had wrapped steel wool around a tin can.  I had a horrible mess to clean up, even before I could soak the fabric in baking soda water. 

Of course, the end results were well worth the effort because they were truly amazing.

This (and the photo above this one) are from the pipe.

This is from the rusty can that hadn't been held in place with wire.

And this fabric is from the can that had steel wool wrapped around it.  Each very different, yet all beautiful in their own way.

Thanks for visiting today and seeing what I've been working on.  Your visits mean the world to me.

12 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous, rusty material - your patience paid off! Hugs Valerie

froebelsternchen Susi said...

WOW... this turned out fantastic! Congrats Elizabeth - what
a success!
Happy day to you!

My name is Erika. said...

Great fabric pieces.What a successful experiment. I can't wait to see what you make with them. But you're right, what a mess that second was-I can see why you need gloves-not just for that one but it is a great example of why you should wear them. Have a great day Elizabeth. Hugs-Erika

Nancy said...

Oh these are luscious! Well done. Note to self- forget about using steel wool.That was a scary mess. And I think you are the first person I'm aware of who has stressed the safety precautions of rust dyeing, so thank you for that. I passed your tips on to a friend who does some rust dyeing, but did not wear gloves throughout the process.

Krisha said...

WOW! These turned out beautiful, love the fabric from the pipe....very interesting designs it made. I don't know if I would be able to cut into either of them, they are so pretty.

Halle said...

Oooo...rusty goodness.

Linda Kunsman said...

Oh wow I have never seen more beautiful rusty fabric-awesome job Elizabeth!

Meggymay said...

I was wondering how this technique turned out. It looks fantastic, the rusty colours look awesome.

Jo Murray said...

Great results!!! I love rusty stuff.

~*~Patty S said...

Fabulous results E!
It was worth sacrificing that can for such gorgeous results.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! I am amazed at how different they are - I shall look forward now to seeing how you use them Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

Now that's a project and the results look pretty terrific to me. Can't wait to see them in your various creations!