Monday, January 25, 2016

T stands for a Christmas gift to my friend Sally



Before Christmas I took my friend Sally to one of our favorite restaurants.

We have been here several times in the past, as my T participants will remember.

This is such a fun buffet and we normally go on the day they serve Italian food.

However, Sally decided she wanted to try Mediterranean Day.  The buffet here comes with coffee or iced tea, so it would be rude not to enjoy the coffee that comes with the meal.

The restaurant was all decked out in Christmas finery.

Sadly, it was not a good day for vegetarian fare, beginning with the soup.

The dessert bar was worth visiting of course, even if I did have to try to hide behind the mustached Santa.  This place has so many reflective surfaces, it's hard to not be included in the photo.

It will soon be evident there was not much on the main menu that appealed to me, but the salad bar held an incredible amount of wonderful food I could enjoy.

While Sally filled up on food from the hot food area, I took a few photos of their Christmas decorations.

Green salad was supposed to be pared with an oil and vinegar dressing, but I chose the cucumber dressing that is normally served with Gyros.

It was easy to fill up when this fare was offered.  Who would ever turn down hummus, tabouli, and fresh tomatoes in winter?  Certainly not me.

I've seen times when there was food laid out on these tables when they needed more space than the salad or dessert tables were in need of added space.  Today, however, they were just fun places to store a few more Christmas decorations.  Note (beyond the window) the trees that were placed above the hot and cold drink dispensers.

I had to crop this photo because some guy stepped right in front of my camera as I was taking this.

The many offerings included coconut curry rice,

mixed veggies

that were the best thing on the hot menu,

chicken tikka, a dish I learned was made of small pieces of spicy cooked chicken that had been marinated in various hot spices and yogurt,

beef cabbage rolls,

and gyros,

which are normally served with these veggies and the delicious cucumber sauce seen in the background.  Although this wasn't the best fare for a vegetarian, it was a gift for my friend Sally, and I found plenty to eat anyway.

Now it's your turn to show what drink related post you are sharing this week.  It can be movies, postcards, books, sketches, photos, a place you visited, mixed media, drawings, paintings, tags, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional.  It can even feature an empty cup or mug, as long as your post in some way relates back to it or a drink, any drink.  Regardless, please share below and Bleubeard and I, along with the rest of the T gang will be by to visit.  It's also obvious, your photos may be taken at any time, and they don't even have to be taken this year!


And please don't forget to be thinking about your Second on the 2nd post.  For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it can be about any post that you are proud of, or one that you posted before anyone knew your blog existed.  Hope to see you on the second!






26 thoughtful remarks:

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I remember you visiting Legends many times--it looks really pretty all decked out for Christmas! It was a nice gift for Sally, and I'm sure she enjoyed it. Between you and me (and everyone else who reads this, haha) I'd have liked the Italian menu better!

Anonymous said...

You and Sally always have a pretty good time. Buffet away....xox

Karla B said...

The restaurant is so charming but I don't know anything there apart from chicken and rice. Our cuisine is so different!I love the desserts. They look yummy yummy!

jinxxxygirl said...

Well i enjoyed that Elizabeth. I can imagine it can be difficult to find vegetarian fare... i think you did rather well here. Thanks so much for sharing AND hosting! Hugs! deb

Krisha said...

I remember this place, very pretty all decked out for Christmas. ALL the food you shared looks very good. I wasn't a fan of hummus, until I learned to make my own.
Happy T-day

Dianne said...

Looks like a good visit and yummy lunch all around...their decorations were fun and colorful! the tabouli and hummus do sound good! happy T day dear friend! ♥

johanna said...

Looks like a place to return... i think i would have enjoyed the coconut Curry Rice and the hummus is one of my favorites, too!

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the look of the restaurant, and I think I would have found lots to eat and drink there. Sally id lucky that she had you take her there for a meal.Have a great week and a happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I would have found lots of thinks to eat for me on this lovely restaurant.. what nice decorations!
Happy T-Day dear Elizabeth!
oxo
Susi

Bridget Larsen said...

Wow wonderful food to be had even if its only vegetarian shots. i dont think I could be totally vegetarian although somedays thats all I want

Lisca said...

It must be difficult for a vegetarian in a Mediterranean kitchen. I have lived around the Med for mot of my life and you'd starve if you were a vegetarian.
But taboulleh and hummus plus a salad can be very nice. We can't buy hummus at all so I make my own. In the UK they sell the jalapeno variety which I love.I try to copy that taste when I make my own.
The restaurant looks nice. So festively decorated. That soldier on the spare salad table looks uncannily like the Danish toy soldier I was photographed next to when were were in a restaurant in Denmark recently. (I've quickly added it to my pot for you to see)
Have a great eek,
Lisca

My name is Erika. said...

Yum, yum, yum! This restaurant has quite a huge food selection. Sounds like you had a wonderful lunch out. Happy T Day!Hope it is a good one for you! Hugs!

voodoo vixen said...

I'm glad you managed to find some nice things to eat, I am surprised that there wasn't more in the salad line with a Med menu but you certainly didn't starve with taboullah and hummus to eat. Is it me or does Christmas seem like a long time ago to you also? The weeks seem to be going by at some super speed at the moment!

Darla said...

Always fun to see where you go and what is on offer in the local eateries. I spotted Coconut Curry Rice on one of the chalk boards. I'm sure that would have been my choice as it is a favorite of mine.

Linda Kunsman said...

It truly looks like such a charming place especially with all the decorations about. Glad you were able to find enough to eat that you could enjoy. My favorite would be yours with the hummus tabouli and tomato salad! Oh and I would love to have one of those chefs on my kitchen table:) Happy T day !

Meggymay said...

I imagine you and Sally had a lovely time in that restaurant, it had a wonderful interior,
Yvonne xx

~*~Patty S said...

So festive and a very nice treat for Sally.
Glad you could find some veggie dishes.
It sure can be challenging in some restaurants, but I never seem to go hungry ;-)
Happy T Day E
oxo

Nancy said...

A nice outing, and the food presentation looks attractive. I like the whimsical chef figures holding the signs!

Halle said...

I love gyros...I think I would have enjoyed that outing with you. :)
I've been staying away from the computer lately...I've had a neck/shoulder issue that gets worse at the keyboard. I think I'm finally on the mend.
Happy T day!

Janet said...

I want to come eat where you go!! I love Mediterranean food and that looks like quite the spread.

pearshapedcrafting said...

It does look a great place to eat - great decorations! Glad you found some veggie food you could eat - we would have been a bit pressed ourselves - we don't eat beef or lamb at all and rarely eat pork. The salads all look yummy! Congrats on your Top 5 place at TIOT by the way!! Hugs, Chrisx

froebelsternchen said...

I forgot to mention :
Congrats on being on the cat walk at TIOT's this fortnight Elzabeth!
♥♥♥

Rita said...

It looks like there was a ton of vegetarian stuff to eat from the salad bar. That is often all that's available here, too--if you're lucky and they have a salad bar. Love the wild Christmas decorations! :)

Carol said...

Looks like a fun place to eat and the decor is fantastic :)

Divers and Sundry said...

I was gone from morning 'til night yesterday, and didn't have a chance to visit, but I enjoyed the Christmas remembrance. Christmas decorations bring a smile no matter what the time of year :) Happy T Tuesday!

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Hi Elizabeth! Nice restaurant and the food sounds delicious! How did that moron not see that you were about to take a picture????? Now don't get me wrong, I like a good buffet just like the next person, but some people act like they've never eaten or seen food before. I've seen some really food CRAZY people in the buffet lines!