Saturday, November 28, 2015

Journal 52, Week 48: Grid Inspired


For Week 48 of Journal 52, Chelle asked us to create grids.

Although these are grid inspired leaves, I'm actually calling this "Homage to Susi."  All month I've watched as Susi made some incredible leaves to go with her art.  I wanted to try, but I wasn't sure I could pull it off.

I began by laying down layer after layer of paint.  I started with Payne's gray, then blue, then beige, then maroon.  By alternating light with dark, I hoped to get some depth.    Then I sectioned off the areas and painted grids in various autumn inspired colors.  For that reason, I'm joining Art Journal Journey, where Susi is this month's host.

For the leaves, I painted an old telephone book page with the same colors I used for the grid. 

As the leaves got closer to the bottom of the grid, the green outline colors changed from light to dark.

I nearly forgot the week number again, so made sure I used one of the ink pens to show the week.  And because I used several layers of paint on the substrate and the leaves, I'm also entering this in Moo-Mania and More's Lots of Layers challenge.

One final look shows my substrate was a used file folder that I painted several layers of acrylics, then I added the grid pattern.  The leaves were made from a telephone book page, acrylic paint, and various green markers.

Some of you requested that I show my decorations I put out on Friday.

This is a sneak peek

showing a few of the trees I used this year.  I usually put my regular decorations away, but this year, I only put four things away.  I was just not in the spirit to pack everything away, then get it back out the day after Christmas.  Maybe it was because of AEDM, or maybe I'm still not fully recovered from my wrist problem (although my shoulder is no longer hurting), but I really abbreviated my decorating this year.

From my living room window, you can see the tree that sits on the desk outside.

Although I took all these photos one right after the other, I was surprised how the lighting changed depending on where I stood.  Although it looks like my ceiling is dirty, that is truly just the lighting (or lack thereof).

All photos were taken without an overhead light in any of the rooms.  The only lights you see are the tiny night lights that sit all over the house.  I'll share close-ups of these and other rooms the first part of December.

Don't forget to visit Moo-Mania and More, where their challenge is Lots of Layers, and Art Journal Journey, whose theme for November is Inspired by Autumn Colors.  Of course, this post is also meant for Week 48 of Journal 52 and Day 29 of Art Every Day Month, or AEDM.

As always, I am very grateful for your kind remarks and wonderful insight into my art.  That and my loyal readers are two of the reasons I blog.

15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful work for Art journal journey, love the colours and the 'Susi' leaves you made, they are beautiful. Thanks for joining in both of our challenges again. Your place is looking good, you have put out a lot of decorations, that must have been more than enough work for your shoulder! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Oh Elizabeth! You make me feel embarrassed - so much credit - thank you so much. I so like your collage and I have a big smile on my face now - I did a Collage with old phone book pages recently... great minds ???

Fabulous to have another fab double entry from you in our collections over at AJJ and MMM!

AND I adore your living room.. . so much light and fascinating with all the wonderful decoration.. your organization talent brings your decoration to a special artsy level I can tell you!
When I grow up I want to be such a fab arty organizational talent like you!
Thank you for all your kindness and friendship Elizabeth!
Have a great Sunday and take care!
oxo
Susi

My only decoration is a wreath I bound yesterday.
HERE

oxo
Susi

Helen said...

Your grid is fab, and I love the leaves. well done on the decorating, that looks great too. I was deliberately shooting into the sun (or the light) yesterday at Kew, to get some underexposed foregrounds, seems you've kind of been doing the same thing with your room!

johanna said...

your grid page à la Susi turned out wonderfully, it would make a perfect Card print or decoration paper even. i LOVE it!!
thanks for taking us to your parlor... it Looks great here and i also hope you are caring about your shoulder! These things can be so Longlasting and annoying.
have a great sunday! rain here and cold, not for going outside...

Nan G said...

Hi E! Love the journal page! As I read thru and saw the close ups I was surprised they weren't real leaves! It's chilly and rainy here today so I'll be inside attempting to make Christmas cards. The Girls are having fun dragging the little bits of paper around. :) Thank you for your note on my blog...I miss blogging too and especially miss crafting. I'm adapting slowly to living with hands that don't always work as they should. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Hugs from me and the Girls.

Nigel said...

Fabulous page, and great to see who it changed along the way.

Krisha said...

Just back from the desert, and doing a little catching up before unloading the Playhouse.
I REALLY like this J52 page!!! LOVE all the layers and those leaves are fantastic.
See U Tuesday.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

I absolutey LOVE those leaves and the pages -- beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

Meggymay said...

The leaves/grid page for your J52 journal is stunning, each leaf a wonderful colour. Lovely photos of your home, it all looks so beautiful the way you have everything arranged.
Yvonne xx

Viktoria Berg said...

I really like that grid! The colour and balance is just right. I wish I had any time or energy for Christmas decorations, I am going to be pretty pleased if I can get the house properly cleaned for the holidays... I have to do the next best thing and enjoy yours and other´s decorations instead! :-D I hope your shoulder gets back to normal soon.

dawn said...

Hello!! You know I love these leaves/grid, so pretty!!! I would frame and hang this for the fall season or all year in my living room, love the colors. YAY for peeks at your decorations, so glad you love trees like I do. We just got up our tree and that's it for now, will slowly decorate over the week. I don't want to rush Thanksgiving and fall quite yet.
I just did a post for T time, I babysit tomorrow so if you can please link it up for me, if not I will sometime Tuesday. THANK YOU so much if you can and if not no worries friend :)
Our weekend and Thanksgiving was good and I hope yours was too. The cooler weather is here now though, probably won't last long and YAY for no big snows in November, Sam is sad but all of us are very happy about it, lol.
Take care and see you Tuesday for T :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh wow! You really have created the most wonderful Autumn page - and I love the way you have layered the paints! Your decorations look great so Thank you for getting me in a better mood! I have had a bit of a set back - I have had pains that made me go to Docs - I have a hernia that he has refered me to a surgeon for - pain now gone but have been trying to take it easy ! Chrisx

Anonymous said...

Love this grid, it is super. I see phone book? Wow, it came out great. xox

My name is Erika. said...

GORGEOUS artwork today. And I LOVE the peak into your home. Its always so interesting to see what other people and live with.

NatureFootstep said...

o my, that is a lot of decorative things. Nice to see what you have. Cameras is not as good when it comes to light as people usually think. A cloud come in front of the sun or you turn slightly and the image is dark.

Loved that leafy work :)