Monday, June 1, 2015

It's time for the Summer of Acronyms

Today officially marks the first day of summertime art and the Summer of Acronyms.  Each year I join two art related events: SOC and ICAD.  I warned you it was a summer of acronyms, with SOC standing for Summer of Color which is hosted by the adorable Kristin at Twinkle, Twinkle and ICAD, standing for Index Card a Day which is hosted by the colorful Tammy at Daisy Yellow.  Both SOC and ICAD are in their 5th years.

I'd like to begin by saying I'll be linking to Kristin's blog each week, but I don't think Tammy uses links anymore.  However, I understand if you want to show your ICADs, there is a Facebook, Instagram, twitter, Tumblr, and Flickr group you can join in lieu of the links.  Sadly, I don't belong to any of these other social media sites.

I'd like to add that I am NOT following the rules that Tammy has laid out this year.  She insists we must us an index card.  I can't see going out and buying something (even as inexpensive as an IC) when I have the perfect replacement or substitute in the form of many, many, many, many old manilla folders.  I swear the more of them I use, the faster they multiply.  She DOES admit that some of the Index Cards feel like manilla folders.  So, not only will mine FEEL like manilla folders, they have now all been cut to 3" X 5" after originally starting life AS manilla folders.  Every penny saved is another one I can spend on Ramen Noodles (this is an inside joke meant for those of you who know how much I love those noodles).

Here is my first ICAD of 2015.  I won't be using any of Tammy's prompts, but will make this the Year of the "S"s: scraps, stamps, staples, sewing, and spray mists (my handmade, of course).  My goals are to not use any glue on these ICs and learn to stamp a bit better.

So summer has officially begun with my first ICAD.  From now on, I will post a week's worth of ICADs every Friday, except the remainder of this first week, which will be from Tuesday through Friday.

I'm now off to visit Kristin at Twinkle, Twinkle to find out what she has in store for us at Summer of Color.  It would be fun if you join me there, too.

9 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

Two fantastic challenges indeed! Wish you much summer fun with both!
xxx
Susi

Darla said...

You are off to a good start with the ICAD challenge. I like your additional challenge of no glue. Will make the adventure interesting.

Darla

Divers and Sundry said...

If it looks like an index card and acts like an index card.... I'd say you're using index cards; you're just using hand-made ones :)

~*~Patty S said...

You have a lot of fun planned for the summer and we'll get to enjoy it too through you E :-)
No glue is a very good challenge too!
Happy June!
oxo

TwinkleToes2day said...

There are many people not using index cards this year, but like you, have cut down to size what they already own. All perfectly acceptable. I think it's the size Tammy is stricter about. No bigger that 6x4. Wee Man is using that size, mine are 5x3. I really like your no glue idea and the challenge to yourself to stamp better. I like your first card very much {{Hugs}}

Linda Kunsman said...

I can understand your using the file folders and do admire you also for committing to these two challenges! I've heard and seen lots of fab entries for the ICAD challenge, and of course, have been doing the SOC challenge since discovering it but I just can't do both along with my other things. I will however really look forward to seeing your entries- for both:)

johanna said...

i´m totally with you using up stuff that is already here. would be crazy to buy IC *shaking my head*... a good Intention to try without glue and more stamping! a beautiful first result and i´m looking for the others to come...

Dianne said...

I like your ICAD goals...but no glue!? I would really have trouble with that....love your first one...enjoy the challenge! I won't be joining, cause I'm pretty much permanently behind on the Documented Life Journal so don't think I should commit to anything more. Looking forward to your cards!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I like your first ICAD and adding in the "no glue" element will be interesting!

I'm planning to join in with SOC but not ICAD as right now even making one small piece of art as an IC is too stressful for me.