so I went to my napkin basket and found one with wings.
Of course, I had to make sure it was large enough to cover my used file folder, which thankfully it was.
Boo gave some tips for using a napkin for a background, and I thought I would add my tips, too. She advised to make sure to separate all three layers of the napkin before adding glue. Boo used gel medium and suggested we embrace the wrinkles because they couldn't be removed once pressed to your substrate.
Those who frequent my blog know I have a dislike for glue stick, even though I used to be a Design Team member for UHU Glue. However, I am a BIG advocate of using glue stick with my handmade paper, tissue paper, and napkins. This is when glue sticks shine.
Start at the top and lay down about 1 inch or so of glue stick all the way across the substrate. Try not to miss any, because there will be a bubble if you do. Position your napkin and smooth it. If your napkin is crooked, you still have a few seconds to remove and reapply it. Keep applying glue an inch or so at a time across the substrate, then press your napkin in place. That should get rid of most of the wrinkles. Once the substrate has been covered, cut off the remaining napkin. That's exactly what I did above. Then I found some butterflies I had cut last year when I visited my friend Kathy and used her dies. These were the closest colors I had. I had to use what I had on hand, since I don't have the butterfly die Kathy owns.
Before I finished my entry, I decided to take a photo showing the detail on these butterflies. I knew I would lose all that lovely 3-D detail once I placed the page on the scanner.
I'm having all kinds of trouble with my sewing machine since I broke my needle. I can't get the tension or the positions correct. I'm surprised I was able to sew the word "FLY," especially since I have no feed dogs.
Detail 1 shows how my sewing machine and tension are messed up.
Detail 2 shows how I attempted to
Detail 3 shows the week number and the long tails I left on the thread to signify antenna. I was quite lucky to find a piece of the same paper I used to make the butterflies.
Here is "FLY" in all its glory. I hope you like it, because I spent a lot of time trying to get my sewing machine to work.
Materials used: one napkin, six butterfly die cuts, matching paper, and thread.
Thanks as always for your continued support of my art and the fun time I'm having at Journal 52.