Thursday, April 2, 2015

Second on the 2nd: Recycling continued


Did you think you would get off with me not recycling something for April?  Of course not.  This is from April 21, 2013, and I apologize for the poor quality of my photos taken with a camera that had no settings.

How I saved a cracker box from the trash

Do you often wonder what you could do with those cardboard boxes that seem to pile up in your recycle bin?  Here's one idea!

Materials from left:
5 in 1 (spreader)
Masking tape
Empty cardboard box (not corrugated)
Joint compound
Kraft paper used to cover my self healing mat
I had already taped the bottom and sides of this box when I realized I had grabbed the low tack tape.  However, I felt it would work fine, since it would soon be covered.

I began by trying to spread the joint compound as smooth as possible, then decided I preferred the texture better, so added more joint compound and "roughed" the piece up a bit.  I allowed the front, sides and back to dry, then added joint compound to the ends.

Next came the paint.  The Clark and Kensington paint was free from ACE Hardware.  They gave a quart away free one weekend earlier this year.  The other two paints were also free from my Household Hazardous Waste Swap and Shop.  I will never have to buy paint again, since I have such a great resource as my HHW Swap and Shop.

I covered everything but the back side using the Clark and Kensington paint, and before it dried,

I added Dusty Rose, a pale pink I thought would be darker.  I wasn't exactly thrilled with the outcome, but it was too late to stop now.  I allowed this mess paint to dry, then

painted the back using the first paint.  Those white spots are actually wet paint under the poor lighting in my basement studio.  I allowed this to dry for two days, because it was so cold and a bit damp in my basement studio.  Once dry, I brought it upstairs.

Upstairs in my main floor craft room, I sprayed some vintage sheet music with spray mists, including some pink I made on Day 1, then sewed the quote:

The heart wants what the heart wants.
~attributed to Woody Allen
I tipped the box so you could better see the piece, then decided, due to my really old camera, that position didn't show it as well as I hoped.

This position was a bit better, but the color was a bit dark.  You can tell the box stands on its own and could pass for one of my wood pieces.  I used one of Annette's (Voodoo Vixen) roses she sent me last year.  Odd that it would take so long to find a use for this beautiful handmade flower.

The color is all wrong here (and didn't respond well to anything I tried in Photoshop), but this shows the texture of the piece and the dimension of the flower.

Today is Day 21, and I recycled a cardboard box, used some free paint, colored and repurposed some vintage sheet music, and incorporated a beautiful flower I received as a gift from my friend.  I would call this a great art day!

Actually, today is Day 2 in 2015, and I recycled a post I created in 2013.  Now it's time to share your recycled post.  You have until April 7 to share your second look.





 

15 thoughtful remarks:

dawn said...

Hello, how pretty your box turned out! Sorry the camera doesn't give off the best of colors, I can tell how pretty it is though. Glad you stayed with the textured look, always fun. The flower is so pretty and true quote!

I'm posted and ready to share. Now, I see that I could have just posted my original post for this. Will keep that in mind instead of making a new post next time.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

This looks exactly like one of your wood block pieces!

You are so lucky to have the Household Hazardous Waste Swap Shop for all your crafting supplies. At least I have a lot of leftovers from home improvement projects.

Halle said...

I remember this one. I was impressed at your transformation of a boring old box. I had my second look post all ready to go then thought....it's April...I should do a recycling one. On the bright side...I now have May ready to go. :)

Darla said...

Aha! I've been wanting to try something using one of those canvas "box" type frames and you've just shown me how to recycle and make my own box frame. Great!

Darla

~*~Patty S said...

Such a great use of a used box!
I am impressed that it stayed so nice and flat with the joint compound on it.
The heart quote is just perfect too!
Happy second on the second of April dear E
oxo

Sami said...

Interesting recycling project. Well done!

froebelsternchen said...

Love your canvas dear Elizabeth! Great!

Krisha said...

This year you even got to recycle a post of recycled things. Is that like double dipping?? LOL

Thank you, my dear friend, for the wonderful comments you have left for me this week. They mean a lot!

massofhair said...

Fabulous way to upcycle an old box, not sure what joint compound is so will look it up later but it definitely did the trick making the box look like wood, fabulous inspiration as always Elizabeth.

The finished project is very cool, great textures and a fab quote:-) xxx

Dianne said...

fabulous recycling! how have I not seen this idea before? turned out great...♥

voodoo vixen said...

Oh gosh, I had forgotten you doing this with the cracker box and I am still totally impressed at how it turned out like a very expensive canvas or wooden piece!! Such a good idea to look back sometimes and recall stuff that worked so well!
I owe you a snail mail for your birthday... it should be a good opportunity to sit at my desk for while... hopefully it will get there in time!!

johanna said...

great Recycling idea, and it really Looks like a woodblock!
(i´ve added my link meanwhile, thanks for telling me, i just overlooked it...)

Jo Murray said...

Well done!

jinxxxygirl said...

I love this idea Elizabeth! I'm am definitely going to file this idea away to try in my NEW craftroom! Hugs! deb

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! This really is a transformation! Love the colours - although you say that are not true - and the fabulous way the texture looks like ice-cream!! Chrisx