Friday, September 5, 2014

Journal 52, Week 36: Texture meets Moo-Mania & More


Week 36 at Journal 52 is all about texture.  How much better can this get?  Well, it gets better, because for the first time ever, I'm combining two challenges in one piece.

I'm calling this one Journal 52 meets Moo-Mania and More

Since J52 is all about texture this week, I was not worried about the mess I had left on the back of last week's entry called TIME.

I seem to have a bit of texture already, but it's not what I'm going for.  BTW, the substrate is one of my recycled file folders cut in half lengthwise.

My gesso is very runny, so I had a mess on my hands when I tried to keep it away from last week's entry, my hands, my camera, you name it. 

After I mopped up the mess as best I could, I adhered some recycled packing my dear friend Sally gave me.  Its wonderful texture was precisely what I was looking for.

I realize you may not be able to see there's actually a file folder under the texture, but I assure you there is.

I decided to leave the texture plain and not introduce any color, since so far, the only thing that was NOT recycled was the gesso.  I added hearts I cut from paper towels I had caught ink on when I hand dyed fabric awhile back.

I auditioned two flowers from a previous project, where I spritzed my handmade mists, then cut, glued, and heated the recycled tyvek.  Unfortunately, I couldn't make them fit on the page, so I felt it was time to trim the background.

Although it's not the best layout, not even the 50th best, it's the one I finally settled on.  I tore a piece of hand dyed recycled bed sheet, sewed it in a "V" and added the two numbers that signify the week number.  No, I didn't change my thread mid-stream, but turned the "6" over and sewed it on the bobbin side.  Since I have no feed dogs on my machine, it was twist and turn as I made these two numbers.

The nice thing is,

the viewer can raise the flap and see the hidden heart.

Three detail shots

show the texture,

and my recycling efforts.  

One final look shows how I combined my Journal 52 entry with Moo-Mania and More's recycle challenge.

And since I'm not on Facebook or Flickr, this is the only place you can see my J52 entry, but Moo-Mania and More has a link where I can share my recycle project with other like minded artists.

Thanks as always, for stopping by and leaving such encouraging comments.  They always mean more than you'll ever know.

12 thoughtful remarks:

Anonymous said...

That paper stuff is great. I have used some of it before when it came as packing material. Nice layered composition. xox

~*~Patty S said...

At one point I had some of that great accordion packing stuff...you turned yours into an interesting surface with all of your rich accents and interactive pieces!
oxo

Rebeca Trevino said...

love the layers, and the texture.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

That piece just literally blew me away...one of your best examples of recycle beauty and genius yet!

Cindy McMath said...

I've often looked at that packing paper but have never really known what to do with it so it goes in the recycling. Now I know. Another great example of UPcycling!

Jo Murray said...

Texture on texture, with texture. Amazing!

Rosie said...

Amazing !!!!!


Thank you for joining us at MOO-MANIA & MORE and have a great weekend

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, this is really interesting, I love all the texture you have created. You might like to look at the new mixed media challenge blog, The Mirror Crack'd, it could be just up your street.
Happy crafting, Angela x

froebelsternchen said...

This is absolutely GORGEOUS! I missed it ..uuups..
sorry ..
Fantastic Elizabeth!

pearshapedcrafting said...

This really is brilliant, love the texture that the paper provides and your lovely bright additions! Like you, I too am resisting Facebook and am glad I have someone to stand with!! Chrisx

Krisha said...

Oh how I wish I had some of that packing. What a wonderful background this made. I see NOTHING wrong with your layout.
Don't be so hard on yourself, this is a fantastic J52!!!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

So cool - that's fantastic.