Monday, March 31, 2014

T Stands for Soda/Pop Tuesday

Today begins my attempt to show how to rethink, reduce, reuse, recycle, re-invent, recover, restore, or repurpose something in order to save it from the trash, and ultimately to save our planet. It all leads up to Earth Day, or "bEARTHday" in my world.

Now some of you who may be new to my blog are wondering why this is Day 1 of 22 when it's still March.   It's actually April 1 in other parts (and time zones) of the world, so my daily count will be ahead of some time zones that are behind GMT.  And even though it's April Fool's Day, I'm certainly not fooling around today.

My dear friend Sally gave me this can of Sprite.  I don't drink soda/pop very often, but when I do, I drink diet.  I can't understand how people can put several of these cans of gooey sugar and empty calories in their bodies on a daily basis.   To make matters worse, all those calories add up.  Although the Sprite can shows there are "only" 140 calories, the other, empty cans on my work table, all boast 170 calories.

Of course, I was having fun watching the bubbles pop in the glass as I took the photos.

Even worse than the empty calories, was the fact there was no caffeine.  For a person addicted to caffeine (me), this was truly a waste.  But I wasn't here to drink empty non-caffeinated calories, or swoon over bubbles.  Instead, I had a tutorial in mind. 

However, when I attempted to cut the cans, I found I needed a far better tool.  I could tell this was not going to be an easy task.


After much fussing and cussing that had Bleubeard looking for a place to hide (joke), I finally found an acceptable tool for the job.  Today I managed to keep 5 soda/pop cans out of the recycle bin in hopes of using them in my art.  Tomorrow I hope to have the right tools.

Please share what you are drinking today, or share it in your drink inspired art, journal, sewing, photography, etc.  No need to take the photo on Tuesday, and you may link anytime as soon as this post goes live.  But please join Bleubeard and me.  We would love to visit and share your T story this Tuesday. 




20 thoughtful remarks:

dawn said...

Hello dear friend, so glad you post early!! I will be back in the morning to read, I'm soooo excited about this month with you. I know it will be great and I will learn many things.
See you in the morning.

Dianne said...

Hmmm...I am intrigued as to what you are going to do with the pop cans! I once tried to use permanent markers and paint on them and didn't have much luck. Waiting to see what you have in store! Have a fun day... and I hope you've been wearing gloves while you cut those cans! No foolin'! ♥

Vicki Miller said...

I know aluminium cans go through an embosser really well and make great little things to put on pages
I'll be watching to see what you do with them.

dawn said...

Happy T Day!! I can't wait to see what you do with these, especially after the hard work of cutting them. I do hope you had gloves on too, don't want to cut a finger during your recycle month.
I am not much of a pop drinker either, only when we go out. My hubby opens his first can of Diet Pepsi at 6:00 am at work and has another 3/4 of them before he comes home to drink a few glasses of it. YUCK!!! I try telling him but he hasn't changed his ways yet.
Thanks for the visit on my blog. I'm so sorry all those deleted comments from my sister are there. I have no idea how to totally delete them, sigh.
Have a great day!!

dawn said...

It's me again.... I was able to delete all the duplicate messages on my post. That was my sister of course using her "smart Phone" to comment, just shows how smart her phone is,lol.

Darla said...

Interested to see what you use the cans for. I've used can lids and the pull tops on drink cans but not the whole can. We aren't soda drinkers but occasionally I do have a tea or something in one of those kinds of cans.

Darla

Linda Kunsman said...

I'll be curious to see what you come up with using the soda cans Elizabeth. Neither hubby or I drink any soda at all anymore-not diet or regular. If only I could get my son to do the same:) Happy T day to you and Bleubeard!

Divers and Sundry said...

i don't drink soft drinks often, but when i do i avoid the artificial sweeteners like the plague. they scare me more than the caloried sweeteners do! i wonder why people drink the drinks that are sugar- and caffeine-free. why bother? ;)

i'll be interested in seeing how the metal shows up in the art. fun :)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Years ago, I made "furniture" with soda cans...little tables with ornate legs and peacock style chairs. I remember how sharp those edges were, too, so be careful! Hammering the edges smooths them right out :)

Looking forward to seeing how you will use them in your artwork!

~*~Patty S said...

Sodas have never been a temptation for me...when the boys were little we mixed sparkling water with a bit of fruit juice and they liked that every now and then.
Cutting cans always scares me...I could never seem to get a smooth cut
You are fearless and dive right in E!
It will be fun to see what you make with your new metal stash...
Happy T Day...green grass is starting to make a reappearance here in Virginia :)
oxo

~*~Patty S said...

meant to also share that our local mixed media group played around with punches and cans creating some fun embellishments that some of the gals colored with alcohol inks = Fun!
oxo

Halle said...

I've never cared much for pop. Esp. after they quit putting them in the returnable bottles. Pop always tasted the best out of those.
Looking forward to see what you make with your recyclables.

Dianne said...

I forgot to mention that your vintage glass is GORGEOUS! it looks like 'cut glass'? now that's how to drink a beverage!! ☺

Ariel said...

Happy April Elizabeth.
I am no big fan of soda too. What you are doing is fantastic, to find ways to recycle these cans. Would love to come back and see what you have done with them.
Susan

Krisha said...

I have started in this same direction many times, but have never done more than cut the can apart....LOL

I'm not linking this week...:( missing my first time. Got home form our trip LATE last night, woke late this morning up with a s nasty head cold. Then there was so much DT work I HAD to get set up to post on time....yada, yada, yada!

But I am still going to pop in on everybody between loads of laundry, taking cold medicine, and trying to unpack the Playhouse! LOL.

I'll be back next week for sure!

Rita said...

OOPS! I think I have an old link and the new link by accident. My laptop has been acting up. I thought I had entered, went to refresh and it looked like I wasn't on the list, so I entered again. When it refreshed I think it went back to the last week's link? I am still trying to get over this head cold and I blame it on the laptop and snotty brain cells. ;)

Julia Dunnit said...

I am miserable at how bad a visitor I've been;this real life stuff is really getting in my way - I can't promise better but I do promise to spend time when I can! Even though I knew, it was still not a nice thing to miss your name from last week's WOYWW list...like all good friends, you've become a habit..I promise I dont take you for granted really!
The calories in the drinks aren't ust the hurdle for me - it's the eleven teaspoons of sugar that rot the back teeth that I have a problem with. Like you, I rarely drink them..fizzy water is my acquired taste these days. However, back in the day, we did some stamping nad shaping on these thin alu cans - and I have a couple of wall art dolls made from old tins too - will be fascinated to see where you're going...

Nancy said...

Looks interesting Elizabeth :) I don't have cans around but may have to get a couple of drinks--can't wait to see what you make!

creatorme said...

Since I am late getting here, I see a bit more of what you have done with the cans. Neat shapes you got going there. I'll come back tomorrow to see your progress.

Ever since my daughter told me to stop because diet soda is BAD for me. I have not touched diet soda since and it's been many years. I will steal a couple of sips from the kids every once in a while but not that often either because even the kids are not drinking as much soda as they used to.

Paper rainbow said...

I don't really drink fizzy pop but am very interested in what these will become. I love re-cycled art and have wanted to try making things from metal. You have inspired me!